Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which PC case is better?

• Please log in to reply

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
I'm looking for a reliable and affordable mid-size tower, and I'm pretty much between the Antec 300 and the Antec DF-35. Thoughts?

Antec 300
Antec DF-35

Edited by GhostLoad, 06 September 2012 - 07:30 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi GhostLoad

Both are very good and evenly matched cases for the cost (after claiming the rebate) the DF-35 shades it, if the cases both cost the same though I would choose the 300.

If I particularly wanted the blue LED fans I would also pay the extra for the 300 case, the 300 also has better fan control options.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Hi GhostLoad

Both are very good and evenly matched cases for the cost (after claiming the rebate) the DF-35 shades it, if the cases both cost the same though I would choose the 300.

If I particularly wanted the blue LED fans I would also pay the extra for the 300 case.

Thanks, budget is kinda the more important thing for my friend (I'm building the PC for her) and the black interior is nicer to me than the blue LED fans. I'm putting together the list of the rest of the components, hopefully once I post them here someone will tell me if it'll all fit in the Antec DF-35! :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Yes I would have no problem recommending the DF-35 case as the cooling system is more than capable.

I for one will look over your final list of components when you post them :thumbsup:

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
All done putting together the list of components;

I've got 2 questions. 1) Which heatsink is better? One is liquid cooling and the other is traditional metal pipes. 2) How many additional (not included with the purchase of the case) fans can this case hold? Oh, I guess question 3) If liquid cooling is better, is that the best one I can get for that price range? Or is there a better one available?

Thanks!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Got to go offline shortly for a couple of hours but when I return I will take a closer look at the parts and then see if I can save you some cash by looking at other suppliers + check compatibility.

Cautionary note;

Using an aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty, Intel are clear on this, see below;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

Full article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

There is no OS such as Windows 7 64-bit on the list, what will you be using.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Got to go offline shortly for a couple of hours but when I return I will take a closer look at the parts and then see if I can save you some cash by looking at other suppliers + check compatibility.

Cautionary note;

Using an aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty, Intel are clear on this, see below;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

Full article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

There is no OS such as Windows 7 64-bit on the list, what will you be using.

So you void your warrante by using any heatsink not included with the CPU? Sounds like [bleep] to me. Which OS? Windows 7 64-bit, pirated of course.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Yes the warranty would become void down to a non-propriety HS and fan being used.

The HS and cooling fan supplied with the CPU have been tested over and above the maximum temperatures that the processor would be expected to reach, also worth mentioning is that overclockers are normally the only people who will need liquid cooling and Intel have recognized this and now offer a separate warranty, see http://www.pcpro.co....or-overclockers

Regarding the OS, I urge you not to use illegally obtained software not only is it breaking the law it also leaves the computer vulnerable to malware attack and will make updating the computer impossible.

Please refer to the GTG TOU (Terms of Use)

p.The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

NB: You could purchase an OEM CPU as they are not supplied with a HS and fan so you can choose your own, the CPU warranty however is not offered by Intel but the supplier and these vary in the length of warranty.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Yes the warranty would become void down to a non-propriety HS and fan being used.

The HS and cooling fan supplied with the CPU have been tested over and above the maximum temperatures that the processor would be expected to reach, also worth mentioning is that overclockers are normally the only people who will need liquid cooling and Intel have recognized this and now offer a separate warranty, see http://www.pcpro.co....or-overclockers

Regarding the OS, I urge you not to use illegally obtained software not only is it breaking the law it also leaves the computer vulnerable to malware attack and will make updating the computer impossible.

Please refer to the GTG TOU (Terms of Use)

p.The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software or services illegally.

NB: You could purchase an OEM CPU as they are not supplied with a HS and fan so you can choose your own, the CPU warranty however is not offered by Intel but the supplier and these vary in the length of warranty.

I'll take your OS advice into consideration. Is it cheaper to buy the OEM CPU? I intend on overclocking the CPU (it's 3.3ghz, I'll put it to at least 4.3ghz).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
OEM components are usually less expensive as you are getting less for your cash, it does not tend to be a huge saving of cash though.

Advertisements

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

OEM components are usually less expensive as you are getting less for your cash, it does not tend to be a huge saving of cash though.

If something happens with the CPU, how can they tell if I used a 3rd party heatsink?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
That is something that the Intel Technicians would need to answer.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
Hmm I'm guessing there's no way for them to tell. Does it void the warranty if I use thermal paste?

Edit: Also, which is better? Traditional heatsink or liquid cooling? If liquid cooling, is the one I picked very good for the money? If not, which is better? Thanks!

Edited by GhostLoad, 06 September 2012 - 11:31 AM.

GhostLoad

GhostLoad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts
So I figured I'd check while I'm asking, will this Antec DF-35 fit my old components I wanted to use for a backup PC?

Intel Q6600 CPU
ASUS P-5ND Motherboard
NVidia GeForce 9800 GT Video Card
Corsair 750W PSU
Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Heatsink

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Using thermal paste does not void your warranty.

If you are going to OC the CPU and you are not concerned about voiding your warranty then liquid cooling would keep the system cooler than the stock HS and fan.

As I have not used liquid cooling I cannot give you an answer based on first hand knowledge, what I can say though is that there is more maintenance involved with liquid cooling + you have the added danger of a leak ruining your entire system.

Yes the case is compatible with your old hardware, this is based on the ASUS MB which is the full ATX type which the case will accept.