Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless adapter cuts out during streaming video

• Please log in to reply

bluenoseritchie

bluenoseritchie

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi all,

i hope somebody can help me...

My computer is a HP Laptop Model Number DV2815EA running windows vista 32 bit. Its a few years old.

Recently i have had problems with my wireless adapter turning itself off whenever i watch videos online. It doesn't happen all the time, but if i am watching something for more than an hour it will cut off. There is a blue light and a switch on the front of the laptop, and when the wireless adapter is off, the light changes to red.

The light will change to red sometimes whilst watching video, and the only way i can turn the wireless back on is if i restart the system. Even if i activate and disable the wireless adapter using the external manual switch, or the internal controls using the wireless assistant.

As you can imagine this gets very annoying when i am mid way through a show and it cuts out!

Also, not sure if this is relevant but i can no longer either watch videos on full screen as the image gets jolty.

Things i have tried;

1) restoring the system to a previous restore point - i tried this but for some reason the only restore points i could find were ones dated after i started noticing the problem.

2) reinstalling the wireless adapter driver and video card driver.

3) running a full 6 hour antivirus scan - I am using Eset NOD32 antivirus and also i scanned using comodo cleaning essentials.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :)

Advertisements

bluenoseritchie

bluenoseritchie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
bump

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
bluenoseritchie
Welcome to Geeks to Go

Sorry you have waited, occasionally one post does get overlooked, due mainly because there are so many of them.

Please start by posting some further info.

start
programs
accessories
system tools
system information
on the window that opens General
click edit click select all
copy and paste please to your reply

Does this only happen when using graphics heavily or can it occur when simple browsing and for example downloading a file, rather then ONLY when graphics work

As you talk about the wireless indicator led you are using the inbuilt wireless I presume.
I do not mean to BUY a USB wireless adaptor but if you have one, or may borrow one, you may use that would be a very relevant test, as indeed if possible would be using the laptop hard wired.

Additionally
HP Pavilion dv2815ea Entertainment Notebook PC

which adaptor does your laptop have please

bluenoseritchie

bluenoseritchie

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name RITCHIE-PC
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion dv2700 Notebook PC
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz, 1833 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix F.2E, 01/12/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name Ritchie-PC\Ritchie
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 2.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 969 MB
Total Virtual Memory 4.23 GB
Available Virtual Memory 2.58 GB
Page File Space 2.29 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Does this only happen when using graphics heavily or can it occur when simple browsing and for example downloading a file, rather then ONLY when graphics work

As you talk about the wireless indicator led you are using the inbuilt wireless I presume.
I do not mean to BUY a USB wireless adaptor but if you have one, or may borrow one, you may use that would be a very relevant test, as indeed if possible would be using the laptop hard wired.

Additionally
HP Pavilion dv2815ea Entertainment Notebook PC

which adaptor does your laptop have please

Yep This only happens when watching videos on youtube or other streaming websites.

The wireless LED is the inbuilt wireless yes.

I will test using ethernet cable and see if it cuts out, but i suspect it won't.

My adapter is : Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
as found on: http://h10025.www1.h...product=3722274

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I would be inclined, as HP have not offered a more recent driver to try the one from Intel
http://downloadcente...work Connection

HOWEVER - take the precaution of establishing a restore point first.

In respect of the points available and I am NOT suggesting you try one of course, as you say they are after the problem, you do have other points available do you please, if you click choose other restore point.

Please confirm the free space % on the HDD

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
bluenoseritchie

I wondered if you had made any progress
Would you kindly update us when you get chance