Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing Running Videos

• Please log in to reply

alexjon998

alexjon998

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi,
I've been having a problem where my computer locks up, usually 30-40 minutes into watching a video, whether it's a movie saved to my hard drive, or if I'm watching a video on youtube, the same thing happens. I first posted on the malware removal forum, because the computer was sluggish also. They did find some things, and now my computer is malware free, but the freezing problem remains. I upgraded my video drivers, but that still hasn't helped.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi alexjon998

This is a common symptom of overheating.

Please provide information about your computer, this includes is it a notebook or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

dimills

dimills

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,
Firstly, thanks for your help. This was a selfbuild, here are my components:
CPU-Pentium P4 3.40G
Motherboard-Biostar P4M800CE
Ram-2.0G Corsair Extreme PC3200
Graphics Card-GeForce6200
HardDrive: Western Digital-WD3200AAKS
Windows XP SP3

All drivers on the graphics card have been updated, thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thank you for the additional information :thumbsup:

Can you also provide the PSU (power supply unit) details, brand and model name or number please.

Can you please watch a video for a few moments and then run Speedfan, take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply so that your temps and voltages can be checked, see below;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run a second diagnostic tool in order to confirm the readings.

dimills

dimills

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I have a Turbolink switching Power Supply, 500W, Model ATX-CW500P4 12V (500Max)

dimills

dimills

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Sorry, I meant to include the screenshot, here it is

Attached Thumbnails

• Speedfan.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thank you for the additional information which may have revealed the cause of the issue, the PSU.

Where the Speedfan readings taken after watching video for a while as I suggested!

The +12V rail is reading very low so as I said in my reply #4 a second program may need to be used so can you run HWMonitor for us, again provide a screenshot taken after watching a video or gaming http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

The Turbolink brand of PSU does also have a questionable reputation when it comes down to quality and performance, see links for information on this http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php and http://forum.pcmech....ide-inside.html

Please see the table below which shows what the minimum and maximum outputs should be from a PSU;

dimills

dimills

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi,
The speedfan test was sfter having a video playing for a few minutes. I ran the Cpuid Hardware Monitor, and it seems to be the same results. Here's the screenshot:

Attached Thumbnails

• CPUID HW.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi dimills

Your temperatures are very good and so would not cause the system to freeze, the HWMonitor reading confirms what Speedfan reported and so I can only suggest that if you can swap in a known good PSU of equal or above output to the present PSU or have the present PSU tested by a competent Tech, please see my canned speech below regarding PSUs;

As a PSU puts out various voltages +3.3V, +5V and +12V it may appear that the PSU is working correctly but it is not, any significant drop of any output can prevent the system from booting up, the other scenario is a significant increase in the output which can be worse as it can fry one or more major components such as the MB, CPU, Ram, add on video card etc.

Please be aware that there are no user replaceable parts in a PSU so a bad one should be disposed of in a responsible manner and any type of conclusive testing will need to be done by a suitably trained Tech who has the required testing equipment and the relevant knowledge as to how to use it.

dimills

dimills

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Should I stick with a 500w psu, or would there be any reason to go higher?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
A 500W PSU is fine for your present hardware and anything more would be a waste of your cash, the type of quality brand you should purchase http://www.newegg.co...ion-_-na-_-na-_ Antec are another reasonably priced and trustworthy brand.

alexjon998

alexjon998

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'll pick one up later this week, thanks for your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can I suggest that you take the present PSU with you and ask the Tech store to test it as a final confirmation that it is bad.

dimills

dimills

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
I really don't have that kind of store near me that can check it. I think I have one of those power supply testers laying around. Would that be able to check it, or is it too rudimentary?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Please refer to my reply #9 regarding conclusively testing a PSU.

The correct test equipment used simulates a computer under load such as watching a video or gaming and so the PSU behaves as it would under those conditions and so if the PSU is bad it fails.