Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to restore to out-of-box state without disk?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How is the system running now and was there any infection found?

Advertisements

uc577

uc577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The system seems to me to be running just fine now. I was able to get all of my files back and I got rid of a lot of trojans (they were all called fake window something and apparently hid my documents, pictures, music, etc) and a looot of adware. However I was told that there is still a problem with my OS that will require help in this forum because I am not able to create a restore point manually and also my original problem which was that I couldn't create recovery disks for that same reason. Once I can make a restore point though, I think that means I can purge my system and know that it is positively clean before I reset it to its factory state. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first lets get rid of all the old restore points and then create a new one with all the correct settings you now have.

1. Turn off System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.
On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

System Restore will now be active again.

This will clear all restore points and hopefully then set a fresh restore point. The problem may be one of the restore points is corrupted which causes all of them to not work. Clearing everything should put the system then capable of creating a fresh clean restore point.

uc577

uc577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I'm sorry but is this the screen I'm supposed to be on? I don't really have a "my computer" exactly, it's just "computer" on the right column of my start menu and when I right-click that and select properties, it takes me to my system information. I clicked "system protection" to view the screen below.

Attached Thumbnails

• restore.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes right screen. HERE is a good tutorial to help you run through everything.

uc577

uc577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
To turn it back on, I choose the first option right?

Attached Thumbnails

• srestore.png

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeppers but make sure you reboot between turning it off and then before turning it back on.

uc577

uc577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Oh okay I see :thumbsup:

All done! :happy:

What is my next step?

Edited by uc577, 02 November 2012 - 02:55 PM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

So do you continue with problems running the application to create the Recovery Disks?

uc577

uc577

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
The application loaded successfully! :woot:

I didn't realize I would need 6 disks though so I'll need to purchase more disks and then I can continue. :geek:

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good job Sleepydude. It looks like you got the issue resolved once the recovery disks are created.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts

The application loaded successfully! :woot:

I didn't realize I would need 6 disks though so I'll need to purchase more disks and then I can continue. :geek:

Good. Don't forget to make frequent Backups of your files because your Hard Disk can fail and you will lose your data.
Save or print this article Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 7) you will need it when your HDD go down and needs to be replaced with a new one.