Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Firewall for \windows

• Please log in to reply

FusionFX

FusionFX

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Would be nice with a firewall for files that wanna copy them self in the \windows dir. Seem too easy for spyware n worms to do anything while you who actualy sits behind the keyboard can't do anything. :tazz:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
huh? not sure what your getting at. could you rephrase it?

FusionFX

FusionFX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

huh?  not sure what your getting at.  could you rephrase it?

View Post

A block on the windows folder so i can approve anything thats implemented. Adaware n antivirus program can't stop files without a reboot if they're in the windows folder and it's annoying. Wishful thinking i guess...

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*

Would be nice with a firewall for files that wanna copy them self in the  \windows dir. Seem too easy for spyware n worms to do anything while you who actualy sits behind the keyboard can't do anything. :tazz:

View Post

now that would be a good idea.... lets drum that into microsofts head lol

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Microsoft and good ideas are not things that go together.

FusionFX

FusionFX

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

View Post

True. Maybe they leave some holes in the system for exploites. :tazz:

Webb

Webb

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Windows File Protection implements that to some degree in that it prevents some system files from being overwritten. There were few things worse than installing W98 programs that overwrote system .dll files with different versions that the developer thought worked better with his application.

With XP I use Metapad as a replacement for Notepad. It's pretty easy to overwrite Notepad.exe now that I've done it 3 or 4 times but the first time is pretty daunting. XP does not want you to overwrite files and it makes it very hard to do.

I know, it still doesn't prevent things from being written to the /Windows folder.

Guest_Tony_*

Guest_Tony_*
Maybe Microsoft should think about somthing like that to aye.... [bleep] them lol

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

View Post

:tazz: ;)