Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card recommendation

• Please log in to reply

pabadger

pabadger

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
First, thank you for taking the time to consider my question. I really do appreciate it.

I am thinking about upgrading the video card for my HP 6404y. Currently I have an Nvidia GT430.

My budget is under $200US. What are your recommendations?

Thanks,
Pabadger

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hello pabadger

Information on your computer appears rather vague so can I ask you to run Speccy for us and post a screenshot of the results (click on the Speccy summary tab first please) http://www.piriform.com/speccy

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Cautionary note;

Before upgrading a video card you must establish what PSU (power supply unit) is fitted, branded computers such as Dell and HP often use lesser quality, low powered PSUs in order to keep build costs down and so they often also need to be replaced in order to provide enough clean and stable power for all hardware, a good performing add on video card within your quoted budget will typically require a quality brand PSU with a Minimum output of between 400 and 450W.
From the information that I could find on your computer it has a stock 300W PSU, this ties in with the Minimum system requirements required by your present video card which as stated is a Nvidia GT430 http://www.nvidia.co...-gt-430-uk.html

Can you also tell us if your computer case is a small form factor (SFF) a mid or the full tower type.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello Phillpower2 and thanks for the prompt reply.

I have a mid sized tower. I have not bought a new PSU so my PSU must be the 300w one that HP says the computer starts with.

Here is the screenshot you requested

SpeccySummary.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Thank you for the additional information :thumbsup:

PSU http://www.newegg.co...ID=3938566&SID=

Video card http://www.newegg.co...ID=3962334&SID=

Slightly over your budget before claiming the mail in rebates but under $200 when claimed.

Let us know what you think, before ordering any new parts it is important to check that the upgrades will fit, in this instance the dimensions of the present PSU must be measured and compared with the new PSU and the same with the add on video card, both upgrade dimensions are available at the Newegg details tab.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Thanks so much. I'll be sure to measure everything out before I order.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
You are most welcome and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask :thumbsup:

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hi Phillpower2,
I finally had time to measure everything out. There is good news and there is bad news. The good news is that the PSU will fit just fine. The bad news is that the video card won't. If I read it right off of this Amazon page (the newegg one you provided did not include dimensions for some reason), the Radeon HD 6850 is 6.5 x 3.5 x 11.5 inches. My current Nvidia GT430 is 6.6 x 2 x 4.4 inches. It fits very easily.

I can go some bigger, but I don't think the 3.5 inches wide will work without running into my wireless card(although it might because I measured the GT430 at closer to 1 inch wide than the listed 2 inches) nor do I think I can go 11.5 inches long without running into some problems with the power cables.

What are my options with a smaller card? I could go up to around 200-250 for the card if need be.

Edited by pabadger, 18 September 2012 - 03:17 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is that the HP Pavilion 6404Y
If so your computer I think
http://h10025.www1.h...item=pv-73127-1

the M2N78LA motherboard (Pegatron)

If the only aspect of not using the card suggested is the wireless adaptor
Posted Image

Then the cost of replacing that with another one to fit in the lower PCI slot
Posted Image

is minimal - only a guide and of course this is UK
http://www.amazon.co...48010456&sr=8-3

Posted Image
OR which of the two is the adaptor in at present upper or lower

A certain way of success - not on the nature of card but the size is to send a support email to HP and your chosen card manufacturer as against NVIDIA (GPU chip) and ask for details of cards - firstly from HP as suitable upgrades -I cannot find any details on the HP site for that computer to upgrade the graphics and then to the card manufacturers eg PNY Zotac, XFX etc for the size.

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Macboatmaster,
Thanks for the quick reply and for your time. Yes, that is my motherboard.I will think about what you said in terms of replacing the wireless card. That would definitely allow the Radeon 6850 to fit width wise. The adapter is currently in the lower slot.

The only concern I have now is whether or not the length would prevent me from being able to close side access panel due to sires getting in the way. I will contact HP and then Sapphire.

Next time I get a new computer I am going to build it.

Update: HP won't let me email them because my warranty has expired.

Edited by pabadger, 18 September 2012 - 06:32 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Update: HP won't let me email them because my warranty has expired.

Well other than registering for the forums I cannot make another suggestion.

My colleague is better at me than finding the right cards. He may well come back to you.

Advertisements

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Yeah,
I'd prefer not to register for their forums. If at all possible. Thanks again for your help.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well - your choice obviously

The answer is this, unless someone comes back in with another suggestion

You say your present card is

My current Nvidia GT430 is 6.6 x 2 x 4.4 inches. It fits very easily.

and I said

support email to HP and your chosen card manufacturer as against NVIDIA (GPU chip) and ask for details of cards - firstly from HP as suitable upgrades -I cannot find any details on the HP site for that computer to upgrade the graphics and then to the card manufacturers eg PNY Zotac, XFX etc for the size.

so, if you are buying off the shelf, you do not have a problem - sinmply take the old card with out.
If you are buying on mail order - simply ask Asus, PNY etc by email which card of the spec you want is closest to those dimensions.

The choosing of the card from SIZE is not a difficult matter IMHO

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Sorry for the delay getting back to you pabadger
A card for your consideration http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814202002 please check the dimensions at the Detail tab and the Feedback tab for the opinions of users of the card regarding performance.

One question to ask if I may, what display port are you using at present, the DVI or VGA? I ask because if you are using the blue 15 pin VGA port and you do not already have one a DVI to VGA adaptor would be required.

Thanks for your input Macboatmaster :thumbsup:

pabadger

pabadger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Phillpower2,
Thanks for replying. I think I may have found a 6850 that will fit. Any reason I should not get this XFX card? Does XFX make decent cards?

One reason I want to get this one is that is has both a DVI port and a VGA port. My wife and I sometimes stream movies to our TV using a DVI-HDMI cable. This si not a deciding factor my any means. I would be perfectly happy to get any needed adapters if I get the 7750.

If I decide to get the 7750 would I still need to get a power supply?

Thanks again

Edited by pabadger, 20 September 2012 - 03:09 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
The one reason why I would choose the XFX card is for the 256-bit aspect as this will provide better in depth video quality, will it in fact fit in the case?

XFX are a reasonable brand.

Yes the present stock 300W PSU would still need to be upgraded as the HD 7750 requires a PSU with a minimum 400W output.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: