Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building first PC, need advice

• Please log in to reply

Kroton

Kroton

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, I'm building my first PC, and although I've done a fair bit of research, I'm not the most experienced person with computer's so I may have missed something important in my current list for what I'm using.

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU:Intel Core i3 2120 Dual Core Processor - Socket LGA1155 - 3.3GHz - 2x 256KB L2 & 3MB L3 Cache

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - 120mm Cooling Fan - Intel Socket LGA2011/1366/1156/1155/775 & AMD Socket FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2 - (LGA2011 with Bracket*) 9 - 36 dBA - 600 – 2,000 RPM (PWM) (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 Video Card - GDDR5 1024MB 128-bit - 800MHz / 4500MHz Clocks - DVI, HDMI & DisplayPort - AMD HD3D Ready - AMD Eyefinity 2.0 Ready - AMD CrossFireX (SA-7750-1GD5)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive [WD5000AAKX]

DVD: ASUS DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal DVD Writer - SATA - Retail Pack with Nero Essentials 10 & Power2Go - Black

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 550W Core Edition 80+ Bronze

Memory: G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz PC12800 DIMM Memory Kit [GS-F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL]

Case: I'm not too sure what case I need, any suggestions would be helpful

Basically, I'm not sure if I've got some components right, e.g. power supply, and I'm not sure whether some of the things are compatible, I don't want to order the stuff and then find out that it doesnt work. Any help possible would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Kroton, 09 September 2012 - 12:43 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
:welcome: Kroton

I have added some notes to your list of parts for guidance;

Hey, I'm building my first PC, and although I've done a fair bit of research, I'm not the most experienced person with computer's so I may have missed something important in my current list for what I'm using.

Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU:Intel Core i3 2120 Dual Core Processor - Socket LGA1155 - 3.3GHz - 2x 256KB L2 & 3MB L3 Cache
Your MB (motherboard) and CPU are incompatible, they are two different brands and so have different CPU sockets for example, see my canned text below regarding choosing a CPU and Ram;

For the best and most stable performance you should where possible purchase a CPU and Ram that have been tested and approved by the motherboard manufacturer, this is referred to as the QVL ( qualified vendors list ) understand though that there are too many products released for them all to be tested so other hardware will be compatible but not proven to be.

Heatsink: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - 120mm Cooling Fan - Intel Socket LGA2011/1366/1156/1155/775 & AMD Socket FM1/AM3+/AM3/AM2+/AM2 - (LGA2011 with Bracket*) 9 - 36 dBA - 600 – 2,000 RPM (PWM) (RR-212E-20PK-R2)
Again not compatible with the CPU + you do not need or should use an aftermarket CPU cooler if one is provided with the CPU as it will void your warranty, again see my canned speech below;

Your aftermarket cooler, a very important thing I must make you aware of is that you do not need the additional heatsink and CPU fan and if you did use it you would void your CPU warranty, Intel are clear on this, see below;

damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, or improper testing;

Full article available @ http://www.intel.com...b/cs-009862.htm

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 Video Card - GDDR5 1024MB 128-bit - 800MHz / 4500MHz Clocks - DVI, HDMI & DisplayPort - AMD HD3D Ready - AMD Eyefinity 2.0 Ready - AMD CrossFireX (SA-7750-1GD5)

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive [WD5000AAKX]

DVD: ASUS DRW-24B5ST 24x Internal DVD Writer - SATA - Retail Pack with Nero Essentials 10 & Power2Go - Black

Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 550W Core Edition 80+ Bronze

Memory: G.Skill 2x4GB DDR3 1600MHz PC12800 DIMM Memory Kit [GS-F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL]

Case: I'm not too sure what case I need, any suggestions would be helpful

Basically, I'm not sure if I've got some components right, e.g. power supply, and I'm not sure whether some of the things are compatible, I don't want to order the stuff and then find out that it doesnt work. Any help possible would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Please provide the following information and we will then be in a position to put you a list of parts together;

What is your maximum budget.
What will be the computers main use, gaming, work or web browsing as examples.
Where in the world will you be purchasing the parts.
Do you already have any parts such as mouse, keyboard etc.
Do you have an OS disk such as Windows 7 64-bit or will you also need to purchase this.

Kroton

Kroton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I worked out that motherboard and CPU were incompatible a bit after posting this, however I didn't realise that the CPU had a cooler already, I've changed the motherboard to the Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H Motherboard and kept the same CPU. In answer to the five points:

What is your maximum budget. - I've aiming for under $1000, and with the current items I listed I'm up to around $800
What will be the computers main use, gaming, work or web browsing as examples. - I'll be using the computer mainly for gaming
Where in the world will you be purchasing the parts. - I'm purchasing the parts from various websites of stores based in Sydney
Do you already have any parts such as mouse, keyboard etc. - I already have keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitors, I just need to build the actual computer
Do you have an OS disk such as Windows 7 64-bit or will you also need to purchase this. - I've currently got Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit on my "shopping list", however if I need 64bit etc. I have not purchased anything yet.

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

A list of parts for your consideration http://pcpartpicker.com/au/p/h3tu

I would have liked to have suggested either the GTX570 or the 660Ti video card but it would have put the build over budget.

I suggest Windows 7 64-bit for your OS and that is why I have added 8GB of Ram as you will get better performance, a 500W PSU will be adequate for this build but I have allowed for the 650W to cover any future upgrades such as additional storage devices however if you have no plans for this we can swap the PSU to a lower output but same quality brand which will release some cash to put towards your OS disk + come in just under a $1000.

Let us know what you think.

Kroton

Kroton

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yea, alot of the stuff I posted was recommended from various friends etc. and I figured it would be a good setup, apart from the fact that I don't need the heat sink and I should change the motherboard to a compatible one, was there anything else in specific that would be wrong with my setup?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,025 posts
I would not say that any item is wrong just that you can get better, some pointers for you;

The i3 CPU is ok but an i5 CPU would be better.

A 256 bit add on video card would be better.

Your HDD is expensive and you can purchase a better performing 1TB HDD for slightly more, an example http://us.ncix.com/p...te&promoid=1219

XFX PSUs are an improving brand but I would where possible use one of the following brands as my first choice, Antec, Corsair or Seasonic.

Ram, you cannot purchase Ram until the MB is selected and confirmed as available, refer to my reply #2 regarding the MBs QVL which helps to determine your choice of CPU and Ram.

Please keep in mind that while your friends are genuinely attempting to assist you with the build it is your cash that you are using and you want value for money, performance, reliability, many years of future use and this includes future upgrade potential.