Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RasMan keeps trying to run every 5 minutes, Windows freezing/crashing,

• Please log in to reply

mcs123

mcs123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OK, let me know once you've gotten through with them.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
I'm seeing 6 installations of HUAWEI Mobile Connect - 3G Modem. Is that card still in your PC?

mcs123

mcs123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the card still being in the PC. It's a USB modem that is just like a USB flash drive: you plug it in and then run the Huawei Mobile Partner software to create the connection. I always remove it from the USB port when I'm done using it for the day.

And I don't use it very often. I only use it when my primary connection (DSL, router) isn't working.

Edited by mcs123, 15 September 2012 - 02:37 PM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Reason I asked about Huawei was there are multiple installations of the software showing in the registry.

I found something worth trying:

Go into services window (Start, Run, services.msc, OK) and find Remote Access Auto Connection Manager. Right click on it select Properties then change the Startup Type to Disabled.

Reboot. Are you still getting RasMan errors?

mcs123

mcs123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Sorry for such a delayed response, been busy.

I disabled Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, but RasMan still tries to run on boot. What to try next?

By the way, I just realized that when I ran the OTL scans, I think I never checked the 'Scan All Users' option. Would this have been essential?

Edited by mcs123, 18 September 2012 - 12:11 PM.

mcs123

mcs123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
It's been quite a while... do you have any further suggestions or ideas? I mean, RasMan trying to run automatically does not bother me particularly as I can always disable it, but does its behavior hint at malware/trojans? If you consider it harmless, then we can close this topic, as otherwise the computer has been running without problems for now.

Thank you very much for all the help.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Sorry for the delay. I don't think it's malware but I do have one more idea.

Go into regedit and navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

right click on {4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and Export it so you have a copy then right click on {4D36E96D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} again and delete

then reboot. This is the class of modems which should be the only thing that tries to use the ras. Let's see if it still tries to use the ras.