Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STUCK ON BLACK SCREEN

• Please log in to reply

faith2248

faith2248

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
i get a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top left for a few seconds then i get the error messag below

when i try to use the usb with windows 7 iso it wud load the files then go to starting windows then id get stuck on a black screen with my cursor.... without the usb i wud get stuck at a black screen with a blinking underscore on top and eventually the following error message:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
windows boot manager

windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected on your computer.

this error can be cause by unplugging a removable storage devicesuch as an external usb drive while the device is still in use, or by faulty hardware such as a hard drive or CD rom drive that is failing. make sure any removable is properly connected and then restart your computer.

if you continue to recive this error message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

file: \boot\BCD
info: an unexpected I/O error has occured
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
please help

what can i do?

Edited by faith2248, 09 September 2012 - 11:23 AM.

Advertisements

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
someone please help....what options do i have? if it comes down to replacing my hard-drive how would that work?

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
I'll PM a couple techs to respond to you and let you know what you need to do.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
faith2248

Please post

1. The full model details of the Toshiba laptop

2.. Do you have the user manual

3. Post details of any discs you received with the laptop that you still have

4. Buy some cd/dvd WRITE DISCS so that you can make a CD
Presuming you have another computer that you can use to do this

5. Do you have any backups for this computer - on an external hard drive.
If so does this backup include a system image or is it a simple backup of your personal files etc

6. Can you access the BIOS, your user manual will tell you which key to press
If you can, again consulting your user manual ascertain if the HDD ia shown in the BIOS, that is not on the boot priority screen of the BIOS it is on the page where it shows the HDD and the DVD drive etc.
I ten to thin you can as you said you had changed it to usb boot priority - was this the actual BIOS screen or the one time boot change on post screen eg. To denter setup press ? is BIOS
Boot menu ? is the one time boot change for that boot.

7. If you do not have the user manual download it from the Toshiba site here.
http://www.csd.toshi...rt/jsp/home.jsp

selecting the appropriate model and version.

8 On POST 10 in the malware topic where my colleague Amlak was helping you posted

i started getting this after trying to use repair this i made awhile ago

What please was the repair this - you made a while ago

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
before coming here i tried getting help here (my laptop wasnt as bad before):

http://forums.toshib...p/329344#M16783

....but ofcourse...they didnt seem to be too reliable so i came here...if i just came here i think my laptop would be fine by now....if you read the thread you can get an idea of what happened

1. toshiba satelite L675D-S7052

2. no i dont have the user manual

3. i dont have any discs and im not sure if i got any (i might have thrown away any discs i might have recieved along with the manual and the box...i was stupid...)

4. i can manage getting CDs and yes i have another working laptop i can use

5. i have no backups of any sort...ive had the laptop for almost 3 years without any serious problems

6. i can acess the BIOS with f2 but when i try to set it to boot off the USB it wont happen and it would stay on the HDD or atleast thats wat i think....only when i use f12 to boot off the USB will i get some kind of result...it would start to load the files and ultimately end up with a black screen and my cursor...though when i boot off the USB i can acess f8...but i get stuck after every option...so i dont think it really helps...just wanted t throw that out there

7. ok

8. i think it was a windows 7 repair disc ( the link above shows you a thread that i used to try and get help...it has a link to where i downloaded the iso and etc)

i really appreciate the help!

Edited by faith2248, 11 September 2012 - 03:07 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
So is the HDD seen in the BIOS please

Also I have just read the link on Toshiba - i see it was in March.
Not that it really matters but it is now September of course and that is 6 months, and with respect you probably did not get the best help available, as you asked "How to make the repair disc" a number of times AFTER the Tech helping you had posted the complete instructions.

HOWEVER that is all water under the bridge now.

Lets start again with troubleshooting here on Geeks to Go

Please read carefully all I send you - I can assure you that al instructions will be included and all you need to do is follow them carefully. So when we start - if I post make the CD using this and send you a program to do that - please do so - rather than using some other burning program and then telling me that it did not work.

I cannot promise that we will solve your problem, but I feel certain we will establish what the problem is

So your first tasks please
1, Get the manual
2. Buy some CD writes - you will not need DVD writes for what I want to do, but may use them if you have them, they are of course more expensive
3. Go back and do as I asked pleased re the HDD in BIOS

Turn the computer on. If you do not see a prompt to press the F2 key, then immediately press and hold the Esc key for three seconds, and then release it. When prompted to, press the F1 key. The Setup screen will appear.

Explore those screens please until you find the one where the HDD and the DVD drive are listed.

Is the HDD shown please
Post the results to that

and then post please as soon as you have the manual and the CD`s.

Finally please do not try while I am working with you any fixes you may find.

That will simply confuse the issue - unless of course you manage to hit the jackpot.

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
huh? march? i got my problem not too long along ago....not more than 3 weeks...and i just didnt exactly know what was wrong and through searching the web i thought i needed some kind of disk....but anyways...

yes it is shown under boot:

TOSHIBA MK5055GXSN

CD/DVD HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT30F

FDD

LAN

and ok i got the user's guide from the link u gave me for my laptop if thats what u mean by manual

and ill try to get new CDs/DVDS as soon as a can probabably tommarow

and for a side note ...i started getting that error message i posted above right after using the repair disc i made while following the guy in the link above

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
My humble apologies the date system
I read it as March it was of course Sept.

Please accept again my apologies
We will continue as suits you and I will be back about 1700

It is now 0135
Goodnight

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ill have the discs tommarow for sure unless something out of the ordinary happens

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Post as soon as you are ready to go

Advertisements

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
would DVD+R 4.7gb discs work?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

2. Buy some CD writes - you will not need DVD writes for what I want to do, but may use them if you have them, they are of course more expensive

If your computer can burn them and this computer can read them
YES

Make the Seagate tool for DOS
http://knowledge.sea...US/FAQ/201271en

Change the boot order in BIOS to DVD/CD drive first
HDD second
It does not matter what is next

Boot the computer to the CD if you see the message press any key to boot from CD do so and run the test as on the guide

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
sigh...well my mom got DVDS instead of CDs and they dont work...so we're going to have to wait abit longer...the DVDS dont work

Edited by faith2248, 13 September 2012 - 05:17 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What do you mean they do not work - what aspect of them does not work

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
actually on second thought i just tried again and it work...but i used BurnCDCC to do it this time

Edited by faith2248, 13 September 2012 - 06:43 PM.