Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

STUCK ON BLACK SCREEN

• Please log in to reply

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
"You have not answered the question re the HDD"

what do u mean by re the HDD? PLEASE

and when i get the enclousure...would would the test show assuming it doesnt work? and what could i do then? and assuming it did work...then what could i do? Please

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

2. You said this was your drive
TOSHIBA MK5055GXSN

Is there any chance you have typed it incorrectly as I think it maybe GSXN and not GXSN
http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=852

not that it makes that much difference it is I think a 500GB SATA it is listed as SATA 300 that is NOT SATA3 so you should be OK with that enclosure.

Thta is the question re the HDD you have not answered.

as you will see it did not say HDD in the question.

The answer to the other question about what if and what if then, cannot be answered except as ALREADY posted - to see if the drive is seen in the first place and if it is is the data readable and what does seatools say about it

Finally I work on here and another site becuase I enjoy doing so.
I am more than prepared to continue helping you
From my notes below each post

Please remember, everyone here volunteers their time. Be patient, and don't forget to say thanks. We understand it may be stressful for you and wish we could reply to all your posts immediately. However, we trust you will realize that we do have other commitments - work, family and life in general.

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well i greatly appeaciate your help along with your colleege that helped me before

okay well my hard drive is definitely in some way defective....i swap hard drives from my broken laptop and another laptop....and my computer worked fine with the other hard drive although i could not acess the internet

and i somehow was able to obtain a brand new hard drive....and luckily it was a SATA...so i replaced my hardrive and thru a USB i am currently installing windows 7 on the laptop

although after i am done....i would probably be missing alot of programs?
and am i doing anything wrong? although im pretty sure what im doing will work

Edited by faith2248, 15 September 2012 - 05:12 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well - it must be the time of night - as I was just about to sign off

It is 0017 here in UK

I cannot follow which drive was swapped with which and which drive is in now - post back when you need help with whatever drive it is and whatever stage you are at.

Goodnight

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok well i prety much got hold of a brand new hard drive...i replaced the defected hard drive

then with a new hard drive i installed windows 7 throught a USB and the product key i had on the laptop

now my computer works fine...but i cannot acess the internet

it tells me that windows does not detect a properly installed network adapter and that i should install one?

windows cant find a driver for network adapter

what do i do?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go here
http://www.csd.toshi...mily=1073768663

ensure it is still on your laptop and on Windows 7 64 bit

There are three types of wireless card fitted to that laptop Realtek, Broadcom and Atheros

Either if you know which you have download that driver to a flash pen and then install on this computer OR connect this computer the Toshiba hard wired if possible, it may not have found the wireless driver but it more or less certainly will have found the LAN driver for the ethernet which is a Realtek driver.

If you can connect hard wired then that is the easier option and you can then if the installation does not include sp1, install that and all updates from Windows updates which in itself may well correct the wireless driver.
Check which AV anti-virus you have - if indeed any and install that first before you connect anywhere except to install the AV

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well conecting with a wire with my router did not work

so i should download the realtel wiseless lan driver from the toshiba site?

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok nice my laptop is working well again

is there anything else i should download off that toshiba site?

and could you tell me about how making back ups and recovery discs for my laptop will work?

Edited by faith2248, 16 September 2012 - 08:15 PM.

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
ok...now i find out that my CD/DVD player on laptop doesn't work what do i do?

i guess thats why the discs ive tried using didnt work including the windows 7 disc i made and tried to use on new hard-drive and it didnt work and i ultimately had to use a USB

i think the problem was already in effect all before my whole laptop crisis....i remember trying to open up some pictures saved on a CD and it didnt work...so i thought it was the CD that was wrong...but now when i tried the CD on another laptop it did work...so something is wrong with my CD/DVD player on my laptop?

i wanted to re-install my printer onto this laptop...and realized that the disc to install it wouldnt work

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
faith2248

There is a chance that windows will itself find the driver

If not, go to the printer manufactuers site, download the driver to the flash pen, and install from there.

In respect of the other drivers from the Toshiba site

see what is offered for your operating system.

When Windows 7 is installed it will either find the correct drivers, eg the chipset driver, which is the first and most important, as that allows the motherboard northbridge and southvridge if it has one chipset to configure all that it controls such as the memory, the LAN , the onboard graphics.

When Microsoft designed windows 7, they spent a lot of money to incorporate from the major manufacturers many of the chipset drivers and if it is not offered in respect of your operating system on the Toshiba site that means it is so incorporated into windows 7 on the installation CD

So then check the LAN, the wireless driver, the audio and see what else is offered.

Generally speaking if all is working, you may presume the drivers are OK

If when you do try and install one you receive the message that the existing driver version is newer than the one you have chosen then clearly do not proceed.

BY the way - well done on the install and sorry for the delay - have been very busy

Advertisements

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
okay but how would i fix the cd/dvd drive? or find out whats wrong with it? because im pretty sure it was broken/deffected before my whole laptop crisis

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If it will not read ANY type of disc, for instance a bought music CD, rather than one burnt - then it is a problem that is very unlikely to be fixed on an online help site

Take it to a computer repair tech OR use an external usb connected drive

faith2248

faith2248

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
well thanks for all the help

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased to have helped