Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot change user account name or type

• Please log in to reply

iceman_bob

iceman_bob

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay, this is a weird one.

I have Windows 7 installed on a different laptop with two users. One user's name is "guest" (which is the administrator account) and the other is "Love" which is the guest account. I am unable to use windows update or the wireless internet on "Love" nor see the CPU or other system details in the cmd prompt "dxdiag". I have tried to change the user account type, picture, or anything on both accounts and nothing happens. I have tried using the built-in administrator through a command prompt under "Run as Administrator", but I am given only an error message that access is denied, underneath the error that says "System error 5 has occured." I am unable to run OTL as it says the same error, an error 5 access is denied (I have done this in safe mode as well with the same result). HJT says access to hosts file is denied.

I just want to have one account as the administrator and have a different name for it and be able to use wireless internet and also able to change the account picture.

Please help!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
First, enable the hidden Administrator from an Elevated Command Prompt:

net user administrator /active:yes

Now boot to Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot. Login as Administrator (no password).
Open Control Panel / User Accounts.

You should now be able to change anything you want with the existing accounts.

iceman_bob

iceman_bob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I typed in that command precisely as written and got:

"System error 5 has occured.

Access is denied."

I ran an elevated command prompt in both ways I know possible, to put a shortcut on the desktop and then right-click and run as administrator, also typed cmd in the start menu and did control+shift+enter. Both gave that error code. Is my system corrupt?

Edited by iceman_bob, 09 September 2012 - 08:23 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Hmmm, read here: How to Enable the Built-in Administrator Account from WinRE (WinRE is the Recovery Console). Method 2 may be the easiest to follow.

iceman_bob

iceman_bob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried Method 2 and the file it asks me to use for "Load Hive" says that it is in use. I tried it in normal boot and safe mode. I will try method 1 in safe mode now.

Okay update: Method 1, when loaded in a command prompt safe mode says that the tool must be used from the Windoes Repair Environment and then gives 8 steps on how to do that. I guess I will have to locate the windows 7 disc that I have and try that?

Edited by iceman_bob, 09 September 2012 - 08:48 PM.