Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer freezes-up 1 minute after startup. And cursor freezes too.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
After the welcome screen when my wallpaper appears, about a minute later everything freezes including the cursor, and I have to then hold down the power button to restart the computer. I have figured out that if I delete about up to 10 different tasks in the task manager right away I can continue using the computer and problem solved, but that's not acceptable every computer start up so how do I get rid of the virus?

For further knowledge that may be needed I'll provide some of the tasks in the task manager that I have to delete, mabye you can tell me if some are the virus: Remind_XP, "AOL" tasks, and other ones were spelt something like this: mcdhc, ehdre, erhnde, fw, that's all I can remember at the moment, so how do I fix this?

Advertisements

WhiteHat

WhiteHat

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,925 posts
Hello GODOFTHEUNIVERSE and welcome to GeeksToGo :)

My nickname is WhiteHat and I'm going to help you fix your problem.

• Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply. You can do this in separate posts if it's easier for you.
  • Please do not try to fix anything without being asked
  • I suggest you print or save any instructions I give you for easy reference. We may be using Safe mode and you will not always be able to access this thread.
  • Do not put your logs inside <Quote> and/or <Code> *important*
  • Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post unless directed otherwise.
  • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine!
  • Lastly, Please be aware that removing Malware is a hazardous undertaking. I will take care not to knowingly suggest courses of action that might damage your computer. However it is impossible for me to foresee all interactions that may happen between the software on your computer and those we'll use to clear you of infection, and I cannot guarantee the safety of your system. Some infections are so severe that we might encounter situations where the only recourse is to re-format and re-install your operating system. Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but, sadly, it does happen.
    In light of this be prepared to back up your data. Have means of backing up your data available.
In order to be notified when your topic has been replied to:

Click My Settings at the top of the page. An Option page will open. In the left hand column click Notification Options. On the new page that opens under the Notification Preferences section click Watch every topic I reply to and set the notification type to Immediate Notification.

WhiteHat

WhiteHat

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,925 posts
Hi,

Before we start, I need to know some details about your computer/OS
  • What is your Operacional System.
  • You are able to access the Safe Mode? If yes, the computer freeze there?

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello WhiteHat, my operational system is Service Pack 2, Windows XP 32bit. And I can access safe mode too and the frezing does not happen there, just in normal mode.

And just to mention, I have 2 other threads I made that I need help on, two other big issues-which are halting me from backing up my data and making music, pictures and games.

Edited by GODOFTHEUNIVERSE, 09 September 2012 - 11:31 PM.

WhiteHat

WhiteHat

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,925 posts

And just to mention, I have 2 other threads I made that I need help on

Those problems are in the same computer?

I will check if your computer is infected by a malware.

Download OTL to your Desktop

Download aswMBR.exe ( 4.8mb ) to your desktop.

NEXT:

Restart your computer in safe mode, see this page for how to do:
http://www.computerh...sues/chsafe.htm

THEN:

Run OTL

• Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • In Extra Registry, select Use SafeList
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
    netsvcs
    msconfig
    drives
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*
    %systemdrive%\drivers\*.exe
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.* /90
    %PROGRAMFILES%\*.*
    %systemdrive%\$Recycle.Bin|@;true;true;true
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\CLIENTS\Startmenuinternet|command /rs
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\CLIENTS\Startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files, one at a time and post them in your topic

FINALLY:

Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it Click the "Scan" button to start scan

Posted Image

On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply

Posted Image

LOGS I WANT TO SEE IN YOUR NEXT REPLY:
  • OTL.txt
  • Extras.txt
  • aswMBR log

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
hi I'm on right now, I still have to read your reply but I just wanted to let you know I'm on right now to talk in real time...//Actually nevermind ok I'm off to go scanning in safe mode...

Edited by GODOFTHEUNIVERSE, 10 September 2012 - 07:50 PM.

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes all the problems are on the same computer, now I got the logs but the one of them has aLoT of info, I may be wrong but is that amount of info and stuff even safe for me to post up??

WhiteHat

WhiteHat

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,925 posts

safe for me to post up??

Yes, it's safe but if you don't wanna post them, you can send me those logs by personal message (PM).

:thumbsup:

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok but now wait, I somehow got rid of the freezing problem with a lucky antispyware scan yesterday, now all that's left is the other problems, before I just briefly point them out would you still need those three logs now that the freezing problem is gone?

And the other problems left-which are actually worse problems are:

1. After disk put in and non-destructive option to save all my files, all my big applications can't open, and I tried reinstalling one of them and the same, error message popped up, so now this means something in the computer needs to be fixed, and I have no clue and need your help with that...also as in my other thread I did post up called can't open any programs, you can see some of those big applications I can't open and what they say.

2. Actually there arn't any more problems after the one above I think because I solved the last one where I couldn't locate the external hard drive, by buying another one though I did lol. Anyhow ya now I just need help with that stated (1.) problem above there..and now with the logs mabye you still need them anyhow do you? To continue on with the next problem anyhow?, and then wer're still getting somewhere here, but so first say if you need them becasue mabye, you don't do you now?

WhiteHat

WhiteHat

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,925 posts
Without the logs, I can't help you.

The logs it's the only way that I can check for malware infection in your computer.

:thumbsup:

Advertisements

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Um...well I'll choose just to not to because I think it's more to see if there's a virus and I am pretty sure that is not the case...But by what I said about after safe-formating the computer and then not being able to open any programs even with reinstall, you can't sugust what the problem is and how to fix it? Everyone seems to not know what the problem is about that or how to fix it..I'll just stick to asking around how to solve that, but you don't know anything of that or how to solve it? Just in case your lost I'm talking about the line above "But by what I said about after safe-formating the computer and then not being able to open any programs even with reinstall, you can't sugust what the problem is and how to fix it?".

WhiteHat

WhiteHat

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,925 posts
Run Disk Checker
  • Open the My Computer (Click Start > Computer)
  • Right click you main drive (Usually is C:\) and select Properties
  • Select the Tools tab
  • In Error Checking click in Check now...
  • Select all options
    • Automatically fix file system errors
    • Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
  • Press Start
  • If windows warning that need to reboot to continue, allow.

Posted Image
  • Restart your computer.

NEXT:

Run System File checker
  • Click Start, click All programs and Accessories
  • Right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator or press the Windows + R to open run and type CMD.exe > [ENTER]
  • Type SFC.exe /scannow > [ENTER]
  • The sfc.exe /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.
  • To exit, type EXIT and press [ENTER]

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok and I solved getting into one application, and the others I can try too...but if not then what you suggested may work too...ok thanks, I'm pretty sure I got it all working now from here so ya..

WhiteHat

WhiteHat

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 1,925 posts
Do the instructions that I sent to you and tell me how is your computer. :thumbsup:

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

GODOFTHEUNIVERSE

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ya I got it all working and my music software I'm working on on the music forum so it's all good just working on the music software that's all, thanks alot for your help.