Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my processor and adding a graphics card?

• Please log in to reply

dude1

dude1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I have a Packard Bell ixtreme 6052 and am looking to upgrade the Intel Celeron 2.6ghz processor to a Intel Pentium 4. My motherboard online manual states the following with regards to updating the processor,

CPU Support
Socket mPGA 478B
Supports Intel® Pentium 4™ FC-PGA2 processor (Flip-Chip Pin Grid Array), 1.4 to 2.5 GHz
Supports 100 MHz data bus support (400 MHz using Quad-bumped technology)
Supports 133 MHz data bus support (533 MHz using Quad-bumped technology)

According to this am i able to install the following processor? http://www.pcbuyit.c...t_id=35&sku=176 or this one? http://www.pcbuyit.c...t_id=35&sku=177

Will these processors work on my PC and if so which one would be best?
Another question, I am looking to install a graphics card as currently i have only onboard intergrated graphics. My motherboard online manual states the following with regards to the AGP slot.

The *651 IGUI HMAC 3D Graphics SDR/DDR Chipset (see note) features:
Processor Host/Bus support (533MHz data transfer rate)
Support for DDR266 and DDR333 SDRAM
AGTL+ & AGTL compliant bus driver auto compensation
AGP V2.0 Compliant
Support for additional AGP4X/2X interface and Fast Write Transaction

According to this information can install the following graphics card? http://www.overclock...#aBG_2d028_2dAS

Thankyou very much for your help.

Advertisements

12matthias335

12matthias335

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I would go with the 533Mhz processor you picked, and I am pretty sure its compatible. The only things that throws me off is the B part of the 478B socket. You will probably want to look into that and make sure that's not a factor or anything. I can't help w/ the graphics card since my computer won't go to the link since my computer's firewall won't allow it.

dude1

dude1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Cheers mate, yeah that 'B' part is the only thing that i'm not so sure about myself.

ELYSIUM

ELYSIUM

• Pip
  • 4 posts
The either processor will work in your machine, best go for the 533FSB for better performance.

Can't view the VGA card which type of card is it, the link submitted requires an existing cookie ?

dude1

dude1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
http://usa.asus.com/...xt/overview.htm This is the card i want to add, will it work? Again this is what my motherboard's online manual says with regards to the AGP slot.

The *651 IGUI HMAC 3D Graphics SDR/DDR Chipset (see note) features:
Processor Host/Bus support (533MHz data transfer rate)
Support for DDR266 and DDR333 SDRAM
AGTL+ & AGTL compliant bus driver auto compensation
AGP V2.0 Compliant
Support for additional AGP4X/2X interface and Fast Write Transaction

Thankyou. :tazz:

Edited by dude1, 06 June 2005 - 04:11 AM.

ELYSIUM

ELYSIUM

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Be careful the description given from the manual describes the specification of the integrated VGA controller which is AGP 2.0 compliant. You need to look at the MB layout guide and see if you have an actual AGP Slot.

You have a SIS 651 board which is an entry level board, it has integrated Video Audio and LAN a lot of these boards did not have a seperate AGP slot to upgrade the VGA

dude1

dude1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi thanks for the reply. I have the exact specifications for my motherboard in this link. http://support.packa...P851008201#show According to the diagram i do have a AGP slot. So can i install the graphics card according to this information? Thankyou so much for your help. :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There was alot of gfx cards on the first link and the second didnt work for me. The only thing i can think would be a problem if it was one of the 6 series cards i dont think they will run on older agp4x slots i may be wrong but if they do they wont have the optimum performance levels.

Although from the link in the second i think you were meaning a radion it looks like an older one if it was me i wouldnt bother(im not bothering building a new one) and just replace the lot but you are obviously not wanting to blow alot of cash.

My mobo is at the same level as yours pretty much and i put in an MSI FX5200 a couple of years ago to replace my onboard pro savage graphics. Havent had any bother at all i have the same AGP4x and it runs ok so i would recommend a 5 series nvidia a FX5900 got a friend with one and he likes it and it plays games fine if thats your thing.

dude1

dude1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Cheers, the only other question i have regarding this is will the 5 series nvidia a FX5900 you mention require a certain power output as i think the power of mine is something like, 220-230v according to the back of the pc...i haven't a clue if this is the power output most graphics cards mention. It doesn't seem to mention this in the motherboard specs in the above link. I'm really confused as to what will work and to a pretty good standard on my current motherboard as i really can't afford to buy a new pc. Please help me!! Thankyou for everyone's continued assistance.

Is this the card you're on about? http://www.vr-zone.c...ews/MSI/FX5200/ Ok if it is will this definatly run on my pc considering it probably supports AGP 4x (think so if my reading of the spec link above is correct?) also will this require additional power to what i ahve. I.e does it require a certain power output or will it just work fine regardless. :tazz: I'm really confused. Someone please read this http://support.packa...P851008201#show and help me out.

Edited by dude1, 06 June 2005 - 04:16 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im only new to computer building ,but im mighty good at physics and i know you dont actualy put that voltage into your pc otherwise you wouldnt have a PSU you would be takin power straight out the wall. As far as i know it just runs using a connection from your PSU. The PSU power isnt in V by the way that is its input voltage ,power is measured in Watts if you open your pc up it will tell you its output on the label.

I would take everything i say with aq pinch of salt until one of the proper geeks can tell you whats what, i really am just getting into it and can only tell you of my experience.

Edited by warriorscot, 06 June 2005 - 04:06 PM.

Advertisements

dude1

dude1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok i've checked inside the PC and it says max output 280watts. So according to this information and i'm assuming my AGP is 4x compatible according to the information in the link http://support.packa...P851008201#show ? What card will be the best possible to run on my PC? :tazz: Thankyou.

EDIT: I've checked about the power requirements for the Radeon 9600xt and apparently it doesn't have any ;) . http://www.motherboa...are/1273_2.html But what is the difference between the manufactures of the chip, i.e Asus and Sappire? Does this affect anything?

Edited by dude1, 06 June 2005 - 05:09 PM.

ELYSIUM

ELYSIUM

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Your power supply and mobo are fine for an 9600XT although if you can push a bit I would strongly reccoment the Sapphire 9800Pro 128Mb @ £74.78 ex VAT and delivery from www.scan.co.uk or www.dabs.com.

a 280W PSU is sufficient for your requirements

When you upgrade the VGA the board will automatically give prioty to the AGP slot and disable the integrated VGA - Just check on boot this is the case otherwise it will allocate a portion of RAM 32-64Mb to the on board VGA - if this is the case you can change the setting in the BIOS by pressing the "DEL" key during the initial boot sequence

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It should be enough as long as you dont have alot of peripherals connected. Although for that kind of money he could get a 6200gfx card.

hacp

hacp

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Maybe a Agp 6600gT? I'm not sure if your power supply can handle that though. If your on a budget, then the 9600XT will be a choice that is good enough. But if you can afford it, a 6600Gt's extra pipelines will be very important for gaming. If you tell us your budget, then we can properly make recomendations.
Also, for processor, defenetly go with a Pentium.Pentium 4 2.4b Northwood. It looks like this processor is supported by your motherboard. The l2 cache is very important, and with 128, the celeron processors simply can not compete with the pentiums. Don't be deceived by the lower clock speed. This pentium 4 has way better performance than the celeron you chose. The only celerons worth buying are celeron ds, and I don't think they are supported by your motherboard since they use a .09nanometer process.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116140

dude1

dude1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
All in all i have a budget of around £300 for improvements to my pc. This includes a new processor, a graphics card, and some more RAM. This will put my exact specs to the following:

Processor: Pentium IV 2.4GHZ 533MHz 512K 478 Pin
RAM: 1GB RAM DDR PC2100 (133Mhz)
Graphics Card: Asus Radeon 9600XT on AGP 2.0 slot.
DVD ROM: High Speed DVD: 16X max & High Speed CD: 40X max.
Hard Drive: Samsung V80 Hard Disk Drive: Capacity 80 GB, Guaranteed sectors 156,368,016. Data transfer rate Buffer to host: 133 Mbytes/s Buffer to disk: 565 Mbits/s.

My main concerns are the speed of the RAM and the speed of the hard disk. Are these any good for what i am installing? Will it make a huge difference to what i already have (see link above for my current specs).

Will the following specs be able to keep my pc in good shape for having a few programs open at once and still run at a fast speed? Also will it be able to handle games such as Command and Conquer Generals well or to what extend will it be able to handle games of this calabre? Overall is this really worth doing with my limited budget? Thankyou for your help. :tazz:

Edited by dude1, 08 June 2005 - 03:22 AM.