Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What do i need to convert vhs to dvd?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

akardo

akardo

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have Pioneer VHS Recorder and a lot of Disney Videos. I want to transfer them to DVD/DVR (cable box) to DVD but unfortunatly I can't do it as my recorder says "Copyrighted Material" What can I do against it?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The simple but long way is to buy a PCI TV card an install it on your PC.

Once install properly you connect a vcr to the card and play your movies on your vcr awhile recording it on your PC at the same time, the process is long because it takes the time the movie last to record it (ex. 1h 34m movie).

Once finished recording you convert it to the dvd formot and then burn it on your dvd.

Please make sure your hard disk as enough free space on it to:
1- record the movie on your hard drive
2- convert your movie on your hard disk

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Actually, the PCI TV card shouldn't work either. The VCR tapes have Macrovision or some other type of copyright protection that prevent copying.

Welcome to the world of digital rights management. While it is legal to make backups of your copyrighted material, it is not legal to break any copyright protection means used to prevent copying (DMCA).

In other words it's not legal to copy the VCRs to DVD. It's only legal to buy new DVDs.