Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Taking long time to boot up

• Please log in to reply

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I've noticed as of late my Windows 7 has been taking awhile to boot up. About 2 mins and 40 seconds. I know that doesn't seem like a long time, but it never took this long to boot before. The problem seems to occur after the Windows 7 loading screen. After that I see a black screen for a bit, then the welcome screen for a bit, then finally my desktop loads. I have a dual core processor (In msconfig, boot section, advanced options, I have 2 processors selected), 12 GB memory, and about 1 TB hard drive.

I have no programs on start up except Norton and Malwarebytes Auto protect. I always keep my PC clean (Using CCleaner very often) and usually always defrag my system every two weeks or so.

I downloaded a program named Soluto, which analyzes your computer and boot time. It shows about 49 background apps that boot and their boot times. All of them take about less than 1 second to boot. But one required app, takes 90 seconds to boot. It just says its the system app, which is a windows process that hosts subsystems and core processes, including memory and cache managers. Then it shows 21 seconds for Norton but I need that.

So does anyone have any idea on what it could be that is taking my system so long to boot up? Anything I can do to make it boot faster? Any old cache files that can be removed possibly? All help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Advertisements

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
2mins and 40seconds IS a long time.

What are you system specs? I'd strongly suggest uninstalling norton, especially if you're running malwarebytes auto protect, those two may conflict with each other. Also i hope you're not using CCleaner to clean your registry, that may cause more issues then help.

First thing is first, troubleshooting.

Go into msconfig and run a diagnostic startup, restart your computer and see how long it takes to load that time.

If it takes the same amount of time then it's most likely hardware, if its significantly faster then its software.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok so I booted with diagnostic start up and I got about 1 min and 30 seconds.

But when I changed the settings back and booted normally I got 1 min and 20 seconds. So I dunno now? 1 min still seems a bit long but I guess it is better than 2 mins and 40.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
It is a bit long, usually only takes me about 30secs. What are your full computer specs? and what version of windows 7 are u running? x64?

There are a few tweaks to make windows shutdown and boot faster but i'd rather you try and fix the core issue first.

Edited by Gabriel1, 11 September 2012 - 07:20 AM.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Windows 7 64 bit, 12 GB ram, AMD Phenom Dual Core Processor, 1 TB hard drive.

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Heres a few tweaks; Go into the BIOS and turn on quickboot. This will turn off the tests your computer runs when it first turns on, and the boot priority tweak will tell your computer not to look for CDs, thumb drives, or other media when it first starts, which will get you booted into your OS quicker.

Whats the RPM of your 1tb drive and the speed of your ram? Those are the only two hardware upgrades\changes that may speed up boot is the ram and hdd. anything else would be a OS tweak.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I'll go into BIOS and change that setting.

The RPM is 7200 and Ram - 12.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Xanster82

1. Soluto
DO NOT EVEN think of using it.
It is unnecessary, on any computer, especially ONE running Windows 7.

2. START please with the recommendation already given
IF MBAM is the paid for version it provides REAL time protection
YOU CANNOT run Norton and real time MBAM
If it is the free version it provides only a scan
WHICH please is it.

3. Do you have any errors occuring, crashes, BSOD etc

4,. When did the problem start

5. Registry cleaners, boosters and make it go faster programs are gimmicks in the main. They achieve little of benefit and with Windows 7, which has a far enhanced file and registry management system over and above XP and Vista, they have NO place on your computer

EVEN Ccleaner - the general cleaner can cause MANY problems if not used with knowledge and the registry aspect of CCleaner, although better than many of the gimmicks that allege they will turn your computer into the ideal gaming machine, should NOT be used and again especially so on Windows 7. - as a day to day use

Unless precuations are taken the general clean of CCleaner is known to cause problems for instance with a number of Anti-Virus AVAST and MSE are two on which for certain it has them believe that a scan has never been done.

and there are far safer options than CCleaner when that is used on a regular basis and it should never be run on every boot
on Windows 7 - with default selections. Generally speaking on Windows 7 it is a tool used for cleaning when there ARE problems, not a system maintenance tool

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Gabriel1, I went into the BIOS and saw nothing about Quickboot. I looked under all options and checked everything. How do I enable it?

Macboatmaster,

1) I just uninstalled Soluto. I didn't really like it after I couldn't keep it from starting with Windows.
2) Malwarebytes is turned off. I don't think it was conflicting with Norton, I set both of them up so they wouldn't conflict with each other. Since disabled, my boot time is still the same.
3. No errors occurring. Computer runs perfectly fine. Except the longer than usual boot time.
4. It started sometime ago, not really sure when. But it has been awhile now.
5. I have been using CCleaner for a long time now. It has never given me any problems. I use it to mainly clean up the temp junk files left behind, and clear the history and cookies from my browser.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Gabriel1, I went into the BIOS and saw nothing about Quickboot. I looked under all options and checked everything. How do I enable it?

Quite possible applicable only to certain motherboards and BIOS

CCleaner
As long as you know which cleaning aspect to allow and which to not allow - it is a great program.
It is still not for use as a run on boot -

Send me please a speccy
http://www.piriform....speccy/download
FREE edition
and then publish and send me URL
http://www.piriform....file-to-the-web

go windows button start type in search task manager
click view running processes
on performance tab
click resource meter
on memory in lower pane click once on working column
to place in descending order
note please the usage
report please any item that you see that is not recognised by you

Go msconfig
start up tab
send screenshot of what is checked please

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I am sending you the Speccy results in a private message.

Nothing I don't recognize in the list for Resource monitor. I just recently put some services on Delayed Start. Some of the services were set to Automatic, which I don't need right away when my system boots up.

Also in Start Up Tab nothing is checked. There is nothing in the list either as I removed everything.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Also in Start Up Tab nothing is checked. There is nothing in the list either as I removed everything.

DO you mean you unchecked them and if so, what please is happening with your AV as you say that is in start up
and to which list do you refer when you say THERE is NOTHING in the list please

and

I just recently put some services on Delayed Start. Some of the services were set to Automatic, which I don't need right away when my system boots up.

Are you sure you KNOW which is and which is NOT - did you explore dependencies to and from.
AND has the problem occurred SINCE your tweaking

Please see this which I have just written - by coincidence -
http://www.geekstogo...-care-programs/

as what you have done is the basis on which the make it go faster porgrams that usually make it go slower commence their unwanted tweaks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start windows button please - control panel system
or however you wish to get there

what please on the general information window is shown as the ram - your 12 GB

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yes nothing is checked in Start up tab. My antivirus still starts up, it must start from the services. I dunno. When I said nothing there I did mean the Start up tab. Here is a pic included so you can understand better:

Posted Image

Yes I knew what services were when I put them on delay. Or manual. I also followed a list to double check to make sure I wasn't disabling anything important. Plus Microsoft explains what each one is or does.

With all the tweaking it still boots kind of slow. About 1 min or 20 or so seconds. Not sure what it could be. It takes about 30 seconds or so from the Windows logo screen, but when it it goes to the next screen it shows a black screen for a bit, then finally loads the Welcome screen which is up for a bit as well, then finally my desktop loads.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Plus Microsoft explains what each one is or does.

Indeed it does but you need to examine the dependencies.
HOWEVER my last post 13 may be of more relevance