Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Taking long time to boot up

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am signing off shortly, if you wish to try what I think may be one of the problems please reply as per my post 13 = as on my last

EDIT

0102 hrs in UK
I have gone goodnight back about 1600

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
"what please on the general information window is shown as the ram - your 12 GB "

Ok when you return can you explain further where I should go once in the control panel?

Edit:
I think I found what you meant. I am in the basic section and under RAM it says this: "Installed Memory (RAM) - 12.0 GB (3.25 usable)".

Ok I am wondering why is my system only using 3.25 of 12 GB? I am running 64bit so I don't understand??? Well this is kind of frustrating just noticing this now.

Edited by Xanster82, 11 September 2012 - 06:10 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I am about to go as per my edit on my last
In fact I was just about to press the big switch when I saw your mail

Please reply ASAP

When you click system in CP it opens on a window basic info about your computer
what ram does it say please

as per

Go start windows button please - control panel system
or however you wish to get there

what please on the general information window is shown as the ram - your 12 GB

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
It says now "Installed RAM - 12.0 GB".

Edited by Xanster82, 11 September 2012 - 06:24 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I missed your reply as I was waiting for a notification of your post which I did not receive, as of course you did it by edit.

I really do have to go its 0123 and past the time to sign off

I bet your ram use on that resource meter was close on 100%

This may prove to be simple or difficult

May I suggest that you do not make any changes until I or another Tech return to you

Please DO NOT BE annoyed - but tweaks are OK if you understand what you are doing - the difficulty is of course - knowing if you really understand it

My advice from what I have seen to date with you is STAY away from them and allow Windows to manage its own system
Apart from the Microsoft provided - Windows incorporated - clean and maintenance programs

Lets start with the simple
msconfig
boot tab
advanced options
MAX Memory
UNCHECK BOX
click OK
click Apply and OK
Reboot TEST
and ascertain what is now shown on the system basic info

That should take you 5 mins at the most I will wait

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
HOW please - did it get back to 12GB

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Gone - goodnight
There is more to do from what I see on Speccy
Back about 1600 hrs
Goodnight

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding with all the posts and editing lol but yes.

Before your post, I discovered on my own that the reason I was only getting 3.25 usable RAM was because Max Memory was checked in MSCONFIG. Before you posted I went in and unchecked it, and restarted. Now it says I am using 12.0 GB of RAM. The boot time was still the same.

In Task Manager, the memory bar says only 1.42 GB is only being used at the moment. Not 100%.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

There seems to be a bit of misunderstanding with all the posts and editing lol but yes.

Well as I said, I did not see your reply, as of course it was an edit.

I was staying out of consideration for you to try and see if that was the reason

1.42GB of course NOW but when you were using ram, I bet it was a lot closer to the limit

I have as I said GONE
Speak later

In the meantime - check PC Tools manage start up - disable it

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
My RAM has never reached close to its limit. I usually monitor my RAM once or twice a day and not once has it ever gotten close to the limit. My system would drastically slow down if that were the case. As of now my system runs smooth, except for the longer than usual boot up.

Also just disabled PC Tools.

Thanks for your help thus far. Talk to you tomorrow then.

Edited by Xanster82, 11 September 2012 - 06:50 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try please in the following order

1. Establish a new user account with admin rights
reboot
enter that account

How does that compare please

2. If that is no better
enable the system admin account using the cmd prompt

net user administrator /active:yes

reboot
enter the system account

How does that compare please

3. If that is not better clean boot it
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
ON THE NEW ACCOUNT you established at 1.

How is it in that clean boot.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Thanks for your reply. Sorry for the later than usual reply, been busy.

So I created a new user account and the boot was the same. I enabled the system account and entered, still boot time was unaffected. Then I did a clean boot and again time was unaffected.

My desktop loads in a decent amount I guess you can say... but when the system is first turned on, to desktop finally loading, takes like 1 min and 30 secs or so. When I get to the Windows is loading screen that is on for maybe 20-25 seconds, then it goes to a black screen for a bit then finally I see my Welcome screen and that hangs for a bit, then desktop finally loads. So the longest times seem to be from the Windows loading screen to the Welcome screen.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well in my opinion it is one of two things

1. It is either the base file system for Windows to load is, for want of a better word, in a mess.

It is not commonly known, or indeed widely agreed, exactly what happens when UAC is disabled.

What is certainly known is that when applications, programs, updates etc are installed when UAC is disabled, files are placed in diferent ,locations to where they would be placed if UAC was enabled.

If UAC is then enabled, it is beyond doubt that errors will be received when that application etc is run.

What I think is unknown for certainty by me, some more skilled people and it appesr by some highly skilled people, is what occurs when it is disabled and left disabled.

For what it is worth I tend to think, that problems still arise.

I am also certain that removing all entries from the start-up folders, WHATEVER system you have used to do so and changing services start type is of very little benefit on Windows 7 - WITH an adequate system from the aspect of resources and in your case with a 64 bit system, the processor and the ram, it is my opinion that you had little need to do such tweaking.

2. The other easier to test is the use of Norton - it is known, widely so, for its ability to slow performance and indeed lengthn boot times
If at all posisble I would uninstall using the usual system and the Norton removal tool
https://www-secure.s...n=1&lg=en&ct=us
I would install MSE Microsoft Security Essentials not necessarily to replace it but as a stop gap
Although I use MSE and I rate it.

I fully appreciate that you may not agree with my view on what you have done, however I can always of course only offer the advice as I see it.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Alright, so pretty much there isn't much I can do? If the windows files are all messed up, nothing I can do but format. Which I don't see myself doing. My Norton is paid for so uninstalling isn't an option. Plus they've gotten better with their program not being such a resource hog anymore. But if it is Norton causing problems, couldn't I put Norton on a delayed start? Will that help some?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I appreciate what you say regarding Norton, but am I not correct in thinking that with the paid for product, you can uninstall - test - see if I am right and then reinstall using the same key for the product or whatever norton issue

I do not know Norton well enough to advise, you would have to check.

I would certainly consider disabling it worth a try, to compare load times.

We have tried a new user account, we have tried the system account, we have tried the clean boot.

You I seem to remember have also tried safe mode, so it certainly begins to appear that the problem is either Norton, or the file systems I mentioned.

There are a couple of more points that come to my mind

1. What does Windows say about the system
control panel action centre, view performance info left pane, particularly about the disk transfer rate.

2. You may obtain some more information from here
http://www.hwinfo.com/screenshots.html

3. I have had a look at that Foxconn motherboard although from the info I had on Speccy I had trouble identifying the exact model

http://www.foxconnch...&Language=en-us

I cannot see any driver download - update that may be of relevance, but if you do not have the latest offered you may wish to try them.
NOT THE BIOS flash of course.

4. I have not suggested it to date, as it seemed too basic for your perceived level of knowledge. but a general disk check, cleanup and defrag or at least an analysis of the fragmentation may be worthy of consideration.

With the size of the drive you may wish to run it from the cmd prompt as it is qucker than on the GUI
The defrag on 7 is far better than the defrag was on XP or Vista

Unless you have changed that setting defrag should not actually require YOUR initiation
"Among the other changes under the hood in Windows 7 are the following:

• Defragmentation in Windows 7 is more comprehensive – many files that could not be re-located in Windows Vista or earlier versions can now be optimally re-placed. In particular, a lot of work was done to make various NTFS metadata files movable. This ability to relocate NTFS metadata files also benefits volume shrink, since it enables the system to pack all files and file system metadata more closely and free up space “at the end” which can be reclaimed if required.
  • If solid-state media is detected, Windows disables defragmentation on that disk. The physical nature of solid-state media is such that defragmentation is not needed and in fact, could decrease overall media lifetime in certain cases.
  • Best practices for using defragmentation in Windows 7 are simple – you do not need to do anything! Defragmentation is scheduled to automatically run periodically and in the background with minimal impact to foreground activity. This ensures that data on your hard disk drives is efficiently placed so the system can provide optimal responsiveness"

4. Many people, say that other defraggers are better than Windows 7 one, such as Auslogics defrag and optimization. In my opinion it is better left as Windows 7 intended.
Cmd line defrag
http://technet.micro...e/ff458356.aspx

In summary if the above does not find anything I regretfully have to admit defeat.