Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Taking long time to boot up

• Please log in to reply

GryphonGuy

GryphonGuy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Oh dear-- that's not good. Download and use AutoRuns from SysInternals, and tell us/show us if/what it lists.
By the way, since you mentioned that it takes a long time AFTER the loading screen, quickboot is irrelevant. it's probably already enabled. Disabling it would make a difference, but that's not the problem at hand here. You might also peruse Event Viewer for any interesting failures. It could be that the system is hanging because it's trying and failing to do something in particular.

Also, do you not use a system password?

Advertisements

GryphonGuy

GryphonGuy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry-- if my comment seems out of place, it's because I missed page 2 at first. But, everything still stands. And personally, I do recommend against Norton, AVG, etc ... I vote Comodo, which is free, and for my rationale, search for Matousec.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Well I have been using Norton on this system since I had it, and the boot time wasn't as long at first. So I dunno I don't think it's Norton personally, I could uninstall as a last resort.

I ran that program and attached the text file here.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I am NOT suggesting that you do not follow the advice of my colleague Gryphone Guy, but seeing as I have worked with you for sometime on this I would be obliged if you could pay SOME attention to my last post

And I thought as I said in my last that the disabling of various features on Norton or indeed its uninstall and if no improrvement its reinstall would not be so difficult

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Sorry Macboatmaster, I didn't notice your post until just now. I appreciate your help with me thus far. I do. Thank you.

1) Disk transfer rate - 7.5. Overall score, 5.9 which is determined by lowest subscore. Memory (RAM) is scored at 5.9. Seems kind of low for having 12 GB ram?

2) Here is a link to my computer with some information about hardware, including a picture of my motherboard.

http://bizsupport1.a...ectID=c02863024

I am wondering if I do need a BIOS update? I don't quite know where to look for that, HP website doesn't show me needing an update nor does the motherboard manufacture. Though I haven't looked in quite some time.

3) I have run disk checks before and found no errors. Usually do clean ups and defrags. I use Defraggler which is made by the same people who make Speccy and CCleaner. Good program.

I often run a defrag weekly as I add/remove a lot of files from the hard drive so I tend to keep it cleaned up as much as I can. I have used Windows 7 defragment program as well.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well we all have our choice

On Geeks to Go, there are some like me that think windows 7 defrag, with its vastly improved performance over XP and to some extent Vista is all that is needed and indeed the best for the system.

There are others that like a 3rd party defrag.

All I would say is
Piriform defrag
"Issues after you have run Defraggler
I ran Defraggler on my Windows Vista/7 PC and now I've lost one or more System Restore points.
This is a known issue with Windows Vista/7 and third-party defragmentation tools such as Defraggler. The problem occurs when the amount of disk space set aside for System Restore is too low.
Advanced users can clear out old System Restore points ('volume shadow copies') to make more room."

and depending on what you have set in the rest of the options, I personally would not use it.

and as Windows 7 unless you have set it otherwise, automatically sets defrag see Task Scheduler - you are using it anyway.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
After some time I usually clear out my System Restore points. All but the latest. I can remove Defraggler and just move onto using the Windows 7 Defrag, that isn't a problem. Defraggler seemed to work better than the Windows one though.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
No sorry my poor wording - I am not saying uninstall it.
I do not think it is the problem

I was simply saying I would not use it and were you aware of what it did re the restore points

Additionally are you also aware of what it does if you have commissioned it to include free space option

I am going offline have you checked task scheduler, as on Windows 7 you will never see it running - the windows defrag it runs in the background

So on that Action Centre - advanced tools left pane - generate system health report - takes about a minute or so
- please explore ALL on the drop arrows

Gone offline 0204 in UK

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I never was aware it would clean out restore points. I don't think I have it set to also defrag free space. I never did that either. Though I know it could do that. It isn't set to run on task scheduler either.

Also, I dunno how but in msconfig under Advanced Boot options, "Max Memory" somehow got clicked on again. So my Windows was reading less RAM earlier, so my performance score I posted was inaccurate. Now I have it clicked off, my new score is 6.7 (Which is what my processor is scored).
Posted Image

I generated a report but I couldn't attach for it was too big, I think. So I uploaded it using MediaFire and here is the link to download: (Not sure why in the report it's saying I have no Anti-Virus installed when I clearly do.)
http://www.mediafire...axn9qdgow1fmap0

Also, I decided to make a video of my computer booting up. I figured to give everyone helping a better idea of what it looks like. Seems to sit at the Windows Loading screen for a bit longer than usual. The video is 1:31, exact time it takes for my system to boot up to desktop. Link:
http://s215.photobuc...current=sbt.mp4

Edited by Xanster82, 17 September 2012 - 08:09 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Do not be annoyed but I will look at them if I have to.

There is little point me downloading those if they do not have anything to look at.

If every time I worked on a topic I had to download all the time, I would have to increase my broadband download allowance and that would cost me to work here and another site I work on.

You seem quite knowlegeable - was there anything in the report

Go back to the max memory - on the left of that is muber of processors - and below are other boxes
Please send me a screenhot. = file type jpeg bitmap is too large

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Ok well you didn't have to download the video it was being hosted on a photo sharing site, Photobucket. But now my images seem to be loading slowly today.
The report is only 2 MB, but it exceeds the 1 MB limit for attachments on the site here.

Here is some of the errors from the report:

Error
Symptom:
A service is reported as having an unexpected error code
Cause: One or more services has failed. The service did not stop gracefully, suggesting the service may have crashed or one of its components stopped in an unsupported way.
Details: Service exited with code not equal to 0 or 1077
Resolution: Restart the service
Related: Performance Diagnosis

Symptom:
Device is not present, not working properly, or does not have all of its drivers installed.
Cause: A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from working properly.
Details: The device, AODDriver4.1, is reporting "tv_ConfigMgrErr24". This device will not be available until the issue is resolved. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\LEGACY_AODDRIVER4.1\0000.
Resolution: 1. Verify the correct driver is installed.
2. Try updating the drivers using Windows Update.
3. Check with the manufacturer for an updated driver.
4. Attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager.
Related: Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager
Manage Devices in Windows

Symptom:
Device is disabled.
Cause: A device is disabled preventing it from working properly.
Details: The device, Photosmart D110 series, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\MULTIFUNCTION\0000.
Resolution: 1. Determine if you need the device.
2. If you need the device, enable it in Device Manager.
3. If you do not use the device it can be left disabled.

Symptom:
Device is disabled.
Cause: A device is disabled preventing it from working properly.
Details: The device, Photosmart D110 series, is disabled. If this device is no longer used it may be intentionally disabled. The Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\IMAGE\0000.
Resolution: 1. Determine if you need the device.
2. If you need the device, enable it in Device Manager.
3. If you do not use the device it can be left disabled.

Informational
Symptom:
The Security Center has not recorded an anti-virus product.
Cause: The Security Center is unable to identify an active anti-virus application. Either there is no anti-virus product installed or it is not recognized.
Resolution: 1. Verify that an anti-virus product is installed.
2. If an anti-virus product is installed and functioning configure Security Center to stop monitoring anti-virus status.
Related: Anti-virus

Symptom:
The Security Center reports that User Access Control is disabled.
Cause: User Access Control is disabled. It is highly recommended that you run Windows with User Access Control enabled.
Resolution: Enable User Access Control using the Security Center.
Related: User Acess Control

Boot Options photo:
Posted Image

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
UNCHECK number of processors

Please do not be annoyed with me

Has someone been messing around telling you they could tweak the system for you - sorry if have already asked that, but I cannot understand how max memory and now processors is checked

I have watched the video
Clearly it is not right.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
I unchecked the processors and the boot time was still 1 min and 30. I read that checking it would enable more cores so you'd boot faster. It seemed to be ok at first but not it doesn't seem to do nothing. Max memory was only checked as I was testing not too long ago but somehow it kept getting clicked on.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
If it is NOT checked Windows uses all cores available

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
you could also check for unsigned third party drivers installed by applications as well as applications that are set to run prior to loggin. these can be turned off using autoruns available from technet but youll have to send the list to macboatmaster as i am not entirely sure what is and is not safe to cut out on your system. someone above had suggested it and they may or may not have known that autoruns can indeed disable pre-login services and applications that can delay initial boot

Edited by mikeloeven, 19 September 2012 - 07:36 AM.