Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Taking long time to boot up

• Please log in to reply

GryphonGuy

GryphonGuy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello! Sorry about my delayed response-- I didn't realize you'd attached the output of AutoRuns. I was asleep at the wheel I guess. What I noticed right at the top were many shell extensions, which add to boot time. Not only do you have Norton/Symantec, but also MBAM, which you mentioned, as well as SUPERAntiSpyware (x2?, and CCleaner, and a few programs that you'd probably be fine starting manually such as a webcam related one, and some HP utilities that you probably don't use. I wouldn't fool with disabling services without knowing what hardware you have and how you use your system.

First, have you uninstalled SuperAntiSpyware in the past? Is it in/do you wish it to be in your current program list? If you don't use them, I'd recommend uninstalling SASW and CCleaner to speed your boot time. I would also recommend, unless you actually use them, of course, using AutoRuns to disable the HP utilities.

I'm a bit behind on this whole Max Memory and # of processors issue. Never seen it, not yet researched it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 September 2012 - 12:12 PM.
To remove suggestions, re Malware inappropriate to this forum.

Advertisements

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Yes, I am running Norton, but that is the only thing that starts when my system boots up. Yes I have Malwarebytes installed, but I disabled it now and it doesn't boot up. And SUPERAntiSpyware, CCleaner, but all that don't start on boot up. So even if they don't start at boot up, it can still delay the boot time? If so, how?

What HP stuff can I disable? Some of them I do use, including the printer. I have no webcam by HP but by Logitech.

I knew the services I was disabling/putting or putting on delayed start. System runs fine and all from that.

The whole Max Memory/Processors have been resolved.

The blank msconfig is not a virus. I cleaned that out myself manually. I wasn't using any of those programs for boot, so I removed them from the list. I always keep my system clean. It runs smooth, except for the boot time taking a bit longer than usual. Also I run scans and clean up weekly to keep my system running well.

I feel I should mention about Norton, I'd uninstall it, but why bother? Even if it is the issue, I am not going to keep it uninstalled since I paid for it. I can once my license runs out, but for now I see no point.

And I feel I should mention, not sure why I waited until now to mention (thought I didn't test until now). But I have two HP desktop computers. My computer and my girlfriends computer. This one with the boot issues, I have had for over a year now. The other computer, which is fairly new, maybe 3 months now. It takes exactly 38 seconds to boot up. It has the exact same set up as my PC. It has Norton, MBAM, SUPERAntiSpyware, plus CCleaner and probably the same HP utilities running since it is an HP system. I didn't disable as many services on her PC as I did on this PC. So I really, really, don't think it is any of my software since all of the same software is installed on her computer and it boots in 38 seconds. The specs are less than mine as well. Though her desktop has an Intel processor while I am running an AMD. Though I don't think that's the problem. The issue can be software related, but I definitely don't think it is caused by Norton, MBAM, SuperSpyware, CCleaner, or any other of those programs.

Kind of at a loss on this one. Sorry for the lengthy response.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Xanster82

Because after careful though I consider it best for you, I am going to call a halt to this topic.

As you know, I and other members, have tried a number of possible solutions.

You have been great to work with and I congratulate you on your dedication and willingness to try what we suggest.

I know that you have indeed removed, all startup items from the msconfig - startup tab window, as of course we have discussed that issue earlier in the topic.

We have also covered some of the other issues connected with this.

I feel reasonably certain, that the problem is a combination of Norton and various tweaks.

The fact that Norton will run OK on one system is not an assurance that it will not slow down another system.

As I have already said, it does have a certain reputation, for adversely effecting such issues.

I have decided that your interests are best served by asking you to go here.
http://www.geekstogo...cleaning-guide/

Please read carefully the guidance in that link and create a new topic in our malware forum, with the requested log.

Please also provide a link to this topic, so that my colleague in Malware, may readily refer to what has been tried here.

If after you have a clean bill of health and the expert in Malware, and indeed yourself feel there is benefit, then you may of course come back to this topic, and we will continue, as yu wish, to see if we can further determine the cuase of the apparent slowness to load windows.

Thank you and good luck.

Uirsa5822

Uirsa5822

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Well, I posted in the Virus section, topic found here:

http://www.geekstogo...o-long-to-boot/

To sum up the tread, my system is completely clean. In the end, I decided to uninstall Norton, and install MSE. I am booting 30 seconds quicker (1 min boot now). So still, something is slowing my system from booting now that Norton is gone. I should be getting around 30 seconds like I used to.

So I posted here if you wish to continue to help that's good. If not, I'll likely just end up formatting and starting fresh. Though I'd like to avoid that if possible.