Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP DVD/CD Driver missing

• Please log in to reply

KomaGawa

KomaGawa

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
This Windows XP Sharp, Japanese OS machine was given to me by my daughter. I have accidentally erased the driver for the DVD/CD. There was no backup disc of the OS included at purchase. What should I do, and how much will it cost (USD ok)?

I am planning to buy an iPad to use in one of my classes I am teaching American Culture using movies. So I want to transfer the textbook's DVD to the iPad using some transfer software. But first i need to know if I can get a DVD driver for this XP machine restored, easily, or does it require a pro tech to do it?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: KomaGawa

Check the status of the drive in the Device Manager, is there a yellow ! or red X, see below;

To open Device Manager, click Start then Control Panel.
Click Performance and Maintenance and then System.
On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager.

How to install.update drivers in XP http://pcsupport.abo...atedriverxp.htm

KomaGawa

KomaGawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I don't believe it. well, this is the story of part of my life.
So, I have spent a couple of hours (alternating with how to figure out how to download iTunes on to a CD, I've managed to create a file, find the songs, make a playlist, now I have to do the last crucial step, download to the blank CD) trying to follow your directions on the Japanese XP, Yes, I found the list of devices and clicked the CD/DVD drive, no yellow triangle... I couldn't believe it. So I put the Textbook DVD I'm going to teach from in, and closed the door.....it worked. WHY??? My family would just roll their eyes with this "I've-been-through-this-before" look if any of them were here. Really, I had some previous action with the DVD that appeared to justify the worst conclusions about my DVD drive.....

So what is the take away from this experience?
There are lots of people like me. We have had bad experiences with learning to use some technology, or in some math class, and we have become "gun shy". As soon as we realize we must venture outside of the simplest routines to solve some problem....we might not panic, but we get very pessimistic, and when there is no one around to encourage us we expect the worst. The reality is at worst inconclusive or at best we confirm, somehow, that the worst has happened. So, we leave the situation, and drag out the process of solving it through various strategies. Some resolution is eventually reached. USUSALLY either the troubleshooter who comes to help either doesn't know or cannot explain what happened. The reason for knowing and not explaining is because "time is money" and to sit and walk the customer through to uncover the mistaken assumptions is considered a waste of time,

An ignorant customer or student will of course have to eventually come back. The customer or student just prays that "this doesn't happen again". Their/our prayers are always answered with either "yes" or "no".

Sigh, I have to admit that I am a teacher. "Teacher, teach your self" I have said many times after an experience such as this one regarding the DVD player. Don't panic, carefully observe the routines and make sure of what you know, and then try to identify what you don't know... I have found in dealing with other's problems I am remarkably patient. I can guide another to take some action one step at a time. Often along the way I discover that I have made a basic assumption which the student didn't know, During that process I clarify and repeat. The student takes that step. We go on. But with myself, I fall down between the crevasses.

So now that I have your attention, let me run through another challenge. Ok, the DVD drive works on the hated SHARP XP machine, I can load and play the DVD of the text, and the 4 movies associated with the text. Now in order to play the DVD in the classroom which doesn't have Wi-Fi, or internet, I am going to (a) buy an Apple iPad. (b) get some cheap/free software program or programs that will allow me to transfer the DVD entirely to the the iPad, Learn how to use those programs (well this is why I chose Apple, I can get an English manual from the internet). Learn how to use an Apple. practice doing it before class on 10/3. Sounds good, right?

So my question is, "What are the software XP choices for doing this, transferring a DVD file to an iPad. is this job one program or 2 programs needed? Or should I take this question to a different forum?

Thanks very very sincerely for your help.
Regards from Japan (one hour plus north of Tokyo)

KomaGawa

KomaGawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh, I see that I haven't followed up yet on your second suggestion, checking updated drivers. I'll do that after I finish with iTunes. That class occurs Wed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Oh, I see that I haven't followed up yet on your second suggestion, checking updated drivers. I'll do that after I finish with iTunes. That class occurs Wed.

I will look out for an update when you have done the above.

Regarding the software/ipad question, I am not familiar with the ipad and so cannot give you a definitive answer, may be of help http://windowssecret...ws-to-the-ipad/ I am on no way suggesting that you use any other product or service that is offered at the link, alternatively please check http://www.geekstogo...google-android/ if the same question has not already been asked and answered there you should start a new topic and someone will hopefully be able to assist you.

KomaGawa

KomaGawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh I almost forgot, I was so happy with the way the iTunes turned out...My daughter taught me rather severely, and I managed to get it done. And the XP works. I will check the drivers next time.

Another further matter, but that will wait too.
Regards from Japan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

KomaGawa

KomaGawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I need help. I stumbled around for 45 min. to try to find follow the English words into Japanese after I got to CONTROL Panel, And so now when I want to check this, I can't go through that again, yet. to get to DEVICE MANAGER I need you to describe the icons/ or the PLACE on the side bar menu to click. Telling me the words in English is interesting, but not helping me find the steps. Sorry for this. Just emphasises for me why I need to get to Apple, (however the printer will be in Japanese). My family criticises me for not making enough effort to learn Japanese, and that is why they convinced me to take my daughters machine. No one knows how really tough Japanese written language is. and how bad this SHARP keyboard malfunction is...
After I finish typing this, believe it or not, I will try to spend a few more hours memorizing Kanji (Japaneses characters) ........... God must be testing me, again.
Regards from Japan

KomaGawa

KomaGawa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Oh, I just now realize this is an unnecessary burden for you. You should kick all this out to the forum, (just tell me where to find it) I wasn't thinking this would continue to go just to your in box. MY SINCERE APOLOGIES, tell me which forum to check next time for anyone's answers.
Regards from Japan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
To check the status of the DVD drive please follow the numbered steps in the example .jpegs below;