Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using a different router at night time

• Please log in to reply

MeowCatMeow

MeowCatMeow

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Is it possible to plug in a different router at night and use that until morning then switch back to the other router and have them both work during their respective times? I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this question, but it seems like no one has ever asked this specific question.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hey there!

Technically this should be possible, but my first question would be why you would want to do this? Are you talking about a home network or a work environment?

Regards,
Olrik

MeowCatMeow

MeowCatMeow

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
This is for home. There are issues with "Who's" router is being used so trying to solve the issue. So after connecting the 2nd router I can unplug it and put the first one back in and it will work just fine correct?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
It gets a bit more technical than that.

What you say can only be done if the routers use the same addressing scheme.
But this also means that both routers can never be on at the same time, or you will have conflicts.

Still not sure what you are trying to achieve, but just try to swap them out. If it works then you're settled.
If not, then swap them back and I'll be able to give you a bit more detailed instructions :)

Regards,
Olrik