Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media player

• Please log in to reply

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
My question is can you take Windows Media player off your computer. After putting Google Chrome on my computer, it no longer works. I have tried to download it again and it will not do it. So I now have a different Media player and wish to get Windows off. Thank you

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Yes you can remove windows media player go to control panel add remove programs then add remove windows compnents put a tick next to windows media player then hit next allow it to run it should be gone.

Edited by rockmilk, 23 September 2012 - 03:00 PM.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Hello, no that does not work. I have tried it and tried it. It will not download Windows Media player nor will it take the one off. My thinking was to download it again and then maybe it would work once more. That did not work either. So, I have been going to Google trying to find some sort of help on this. Thank you for answering my question.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Do you have your xp disk?
Are you wanting to get rid of it or get it working?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Here are a couple of links for the safe download of media player.

http://www.oldversio...dia-Player.html

http://www.oldapps.c...edia_player.php

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I want to keep Google Chrome and to do that Windows Media will not work on this machine. My machine works so much better since I took IE off. Now, I would like to get some of Windows that don't work with Google Chrome off. Windows Media was my first try. And it so far has been my only try. No, I am satisfied with the VLC Media player I have on now. Just want to get the other off completely which seems to be a big task for me.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Have a look at this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934372

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
I shall check it out. Thank you so much.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Out of curiosity since you have the alternative vlc media player why not just not use windows media player rather than try and remove it? :confused: But If you are anything like me once I have something in my head I am going to do it reguardless . ;)

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
It actually is off now. I went to Add and Remove programs and it is no longer there. Thank you so much. I am so very happy about this.

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
Thank you so much for your help. Let me explain why I did not want to use Windows anymore. When I changed to Google Chrome Windows Media quit working completely. No matter what I did to get it to work. So I did try to download it all again but it would not download for me. So I downloaded another Media player that would work. So that is the reason I just wanted Windows Media off. I am really happy about this. Thank you.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Glad to have helped. :thumbsup: Do you know which step did it?

Sharon Lee

Sharon Lee

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 512 posts
The first step did it for me and I am so glad it did.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
:thumbsup: Happy surfing.