Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyboards and Mice

• Please log in to reply

eaglemike

eaglemike

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
On a Dell PC running Windows 98 SE, during normal boot up operations, you'll see a Keyboard failure message and as windows opens you'll see a window stating that no mouse has been found.
If I restart the PC into safe mode, both the keyboard and mouse operate fine with no error messages.
Any ideas as to what is causing this problem or how to correct it? I cannot use the PC in normal mode without the keyboard or mouse.
I did attempt to run ScanDisc and it found no errors to be corrected. I also went to the device manager to update drivers while in safe mode and no updates were found. I opened the machine as well and unplugged and replugged everything. No changes in my situation.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hi eaglemike, welcome to GTG! <_<

Do you have another keyboard to try?

eaglemike

eaglemike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I did plug in a couple mice and keyboards that I know for sure that are working and get the same result.

I did attempt to go back in through the safe mode again and now I cannot seem to do that either.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried clearing your BIOS/CMOS?

Disconnect the power, remove the computer case, look for a battery on the motherboard (like shown below). Remove this battery for at least five minutes. Then replace the battery, and reconnect the power. Reboot and see if it worked. You'll need to reset the system time and date.

A typical motherboard battery:
Posted Image

eaglemike

eaglemike

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Strike two. <_<

I unplugged the PC, pulled the battery, waited closer to ten minutes.
I put it back together, started it up and I see a keyboard failure as well as a message saying that I need to run setup program to fix the date and time.
I rebooted again, still getting keyboard failure and a request to hit F1 or F2, but I can't do either with a keyboard failure.
Looking for any more ideas if you have them.
Thanks.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sounds like probably a bad motherboard. <_<