Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My new comp hanged ( Blackscreeen) randomly

• Please log in to reply

Honlo

Honlo

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Symptoms : My computer will suddenly blackscreen with audio distorted ( those magnetic voice ) , sometimes you will heard the audio will back to normal for a second and then become distorded afterwards.
But the event occurs very randomly, i will list some example : When i watching a livestream in Justin TV / Own3d.tv , when i trying to open a file whatever its a program or just photos. When im playing Guildwar 2 .
One more thing, it might get better when i change the position of the RAM , or when i unplugged the display ( I tried to unplug the display and let the onboard Display and CPU HD processor to run Guildwar 2 , it didnt hang during i test it ( About half day )

The list written below is my computer setup
CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2 GHz
MB : AsRock Extreme 4 ( Ivy Bridge )
RAM: Kingston DDR3 1600 8GB x2 ( I already removed one of it since it crashed so much, i trying to reduce the load and trying to narrow down the possibility of cause. )
Storage : 1) Seagate 1TB Sata 3
2) Plextor M5P 128GB SSD
3) Seagate 256 GB Sata 2 ( Its an old HDD used for ard 3years, but i already removed it for the same reason as RAM )

Display Card : Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 ( Its not new, used for about 1 year )
PSU : Corsair GS600 ( 600W )

Some testing or photos that i did already posting here to see if i can give in more details / information of what possibly went wrong.

Posted Image
Posted Image

One thing to mention thur,during my observation. Although the +12V Voltage seems close to 12V, but most of the time , or usually it will be at around 11.3 - 11.7 V , i wondering if it would be the cause of the Crashing.
I have already did RAMTEST on both RAMS and any combination to the Socket 1/2/3/4 , all have shown pass.

Could any body please help me ? Im so desperate right now.
Please forgive me if u feel uncomfortable seeing too much grammar mistake, im an Asian - Hong Kong.

Edited by Honlo, 12 September 2012 - 07:54 AM.

Advertisements

Honlo

Honlo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Another 2 test that i performed just now to test driver and comp.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Gabriel1

Gabriel1

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
Hm... seems like some hardware may be failing, I'd try running a stress test with Prime 95

and yes not getting enough power from the PSU would cause crashing but i don't think thats the problem.

You said you ran the computer without the GPU in, just using onboard graphics... that may be the problem. (failing GPU) there are a few GPU stress test you can try. (3d Mark, furmark is also good)

have you gotten any BSOD's? are all your drivers up to date? have you overclocked anything?

Whats the precise model of your asrock? there are quite a few asrock extreme 4's

Edited by Gabriel1, 12 September 2012 - 08:09 AM.

Honlo

Honlo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hmmm , Thanks for your reply !

The Precise model of the MB is Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 .

I currently working right now, i will try the stress test u mentioned after work.
But here is the strange part, the GPU has been used by my bro for a year with no problem at all ( even without the overheat problem . The overheat problem has been a very well-known issue for the GeForce GTX 460 . ) But i dunno, technology is a mysterious stuff, maybe switching to a new comp will affect something lol ...

I havent gotten any BSOD's , everytime when my comp crash, it just black screen me( Monitor shows entered sleep mode and indicate No vid. signal ) and it would automatically restart after a couple of minutes or when i manually restart.
I would believe its all up to date, i used 2 software to check its all up to date , one thing to mention is, My GPU using a recommended version of driver GeForce 301.42 Driver , but it got a newer supported driver , but since i have tested it all and it seems like crashed more often , so i decided to delete and reinstall the recommended version.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There are just a few issues that come to my mind

1. How many fans are fitted to the case as I on both results I only see one. - I think on that graphics and indeed that Z77 airflow is critical. I know the 460 has of course its own cooling fan, but that requires cool air in the case for it to cool the chips on the card

2..11.3 if the result is reliable is a little low. Any chance you are drawing the supply from an anti-surge bar, if so and you are qualified test the AC on the output of the bar, if you are not, test connecting direct to the AC supply by again obtaining the result from Speedfan and the ASRock

3. Do not be annoyed, as you appear knowlegeable - both power connections made to card - I presume so, as otherwise you would receive message operating on reduced power I think

4. You comment that you removed one stick of ram, as it crashed so much, do you mean BEFORE the installation of this card please or was this ONLY following that

5. Finally have you overclocked - I do not suggest you do, but if you have, I suggest you return to default settings
I notice my colleague also asked this question

Honlo

Honlo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Macbo , thx for your help ! =)

Here what i did last night.

1) Did a stress test on 3d Mark, furmark as Gabriel suggested. Didnt crash at all. But the display card ramp up to around 72 degree c , just a similar reading when i play Guild war 2 on Best performance mode. I would assume 72 degree isnt a danger zone .

2) Replying Macbo, yes indeed, i didnt add any additional fans on top of the computer setup, the only fans that are working would be the CPU, GPU , Chassis X 1 and the PSU . I might be going to purchase 2 more fans during this weekend thur, see if anything will get better.

3) Yes Macbo, both power connection is connected to the Display card, i assume u are talking about the PCI-E power supply from PSU to display card.
Added to these is that i manage to swap out the PSU Cable from a old one to the new one that come with the PSU. It seems that the +12V Voltage have been stablized since then, it longer dropped too much , i think it wandered around @ 11.7 - 11.9. I dont know if this is a normal reading now. But i manage to plug-back-in my DVD-ROM and another stick of RAM , and did a REMTEST again with 2 sticks on the same channel come up with pass result. and so far the computer didnt crash for a night.

4) hmmmm , it should be following that. Although the display is an old one , but it's used by my bro . So all the parts are being installed together before setup. And it actually work fine for at least 10 days or more until i crash. I assume it isnt the RAM problem, but after i crash alot, i removed one stick and i did get better for awhile before it crash frequently again. The same result applies when i try to swap the position for the RAM , removing an old HDD, DVD-ROM and a TV-card. But the core problem still persist, it crash randomly.

5) I did not overclocked. I was planning to, but since my computer crash, so i decided to shelve my proposal.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Seeif there is any indication on event viewer

Download this please
  • Please download the Event Viewer Tool by Vino Rosso VEW and save it to your Desktop:
  • Double-click VEW.exe
  • Under 'Select log to query', select (as appropriate):
    • Application
    • System
  • Under 'Select type to list', select (as appropriate):
    • Error
    • Information
    • Warning
On the first run please select only ERROR and only Application
I will ask for others if I need them.
If you select Error Warning and Information it will swamp us.
Then use the 'Date of events' or 'Number of events' as follows:

Click the radio button for 'Date of events'
In the From: boxes type today's date (presuming the crash happened today) so YOU type a date , say a week ago pls.
In the To: boxes type today's date or when you know you had a crash
Then click the Run button.
Notepad will open with the output log.

Please post the Output log in your next reply
as a copy and paste pls of the opened log

Honlo

Honlo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Sorry Macbo , i was away this weekend.
I tried the software, but it seems that i cant generate the report no matter what i do .
When i click "Run" after all the setting, it just prompt out a window saying , "XXX.txt" cannot be found, create a new one ? "
But after I click yes, notthing happened.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pls check you are typing the dates as I have said.

Other than that go Control Panel Admin Tools, event viewer.
When it opens click Windows logs application on left pane, when the log loads click the column heading LEVEL once - that sorts them by level
Now look for the error level, they will be at the top of the log jusing the slider on the right, or indeed the bottom
Now look for the ERROR comparing with a relevant date
Then open that entry by double clicking it to see if it helps in anyway as to its source.

Then see if System has anything recorded - that is the system logs on the left pane

Honlo

Honlo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
OK , i managed to find out why i couldnt create the log and it should be due to the Language my window is using... it fixed after i changed it to English.
And below is the Eventlog u wanted. I will post one more that abt System and Application Error/ Warning log. See if it could give you more information . Just ignore if u dont need it atm.
I have been crashing alot lately, mostly during my GPU @ about 72 degree, after that the comp just keep crashing within 10 mins when i restart. Back to normal when i removed the GPU and used the onboard.
So i would say i narrowed it down to GPU / PSU problem.

Vino's Event Viewer v01c run on Windows 2008 in English
Report run at 17/09/2012 23:47:49

Note: All dates below are in the format dd/mm/yyyy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'Application' Log - Critical Type
'Application' Log - Error Type
Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 17:20:15
Type: Error Category: 0
Event: 10 Source: Microsoft-Windows-WMI
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 17:20:09
Type: Error Category: 1
Event: 1003 Source: ISCT Agent
The event description cannot be found.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 15:52:34
Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 15:52:30

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 11:46:10

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 11:46:07

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 11:15:08

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 11:15:04

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 10:04:38

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 10:04:34

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 9:56:53

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 9:56:50

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 9:18:47

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 9:18:43

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 16/09/2012 0:28:06
Event: 63 Source: SideBySide
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll" on line 3. The value "MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/09/2012 20:47:11

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/09/2012 20:47:07

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/09/2012 14:58:11
Type: Error Category: 101
Event: 1002 Source: Application Hang
The program Gw2.exe version 1.0.0.1 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel. Process ID: b34 Start Time: 01cd932b2d668bcb Termination Time: 116 Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe Report Id:

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/09/2012 10:14:33

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 15/09/2012 10:14:27

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/09/2012 16:46:50

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/09/2012 16:46:45

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/09/2012 12:25:21

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 14/09/2012 12:25:17

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/09/2012 20:27:34
Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe AIR\Versions\1.0\Adobe AIR.dll" on line 3. The value "MAJOR_VERSION.MINOR_VERSION.BUILD_NUMBER_MAJOR.BUILD_NUMBER_MINOR" of attribute "version" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/09/2012 15:42:09

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/09/2012 15:42:05

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/09/2012 12:49:48

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/09/2012 12:49:45

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/09/2012 12:29:48

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/09/2012 12:29:44

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/09/2012 11:16:33

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 13/09/2012 11:16:29

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 20:56:25

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 12:58:45

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 12:58:41

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 12:46:18

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 12:46:14

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 12:30:47

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 12:30:43

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 11:47:59

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 11:47:55

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 11:40:28

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 11:40:24

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 3:45:42

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 3:27:56

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 12/09/2012 3:27:52

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/09/2012 15:21:34

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 11/09/2012 15:21:30

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/09/2012 20:50:58

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/09/2012 14:02:31
Type: Error Category: 101
Event: 1002 Source: Application Hang
The program rads_user_kernel.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel. Process ID: 16dc Start Time: 01cd8f5ce554a5e5 Termination Time: 3 Application Path: C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\RADS\system\rads_user_kernel.exe Report Id: 2856618c-fb50-11e1-8acd-bc5ff45840c1

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 10/09/2012 12:01:44

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 13:16:45

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 13:16:40

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 13:10:46

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 13:10:39

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 12:07:48

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 12:07:45

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 11:50:22

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 11:50:19

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 11:41:32

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 11:41:30

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:56:47

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:56:44

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:53:10
Event: 4107 Source: Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: ?????????????????????,????????????? .

Failed extract of third-party root list from auto update cab at: <http://www.download....uthrootstl.cab> with error: ?????????????????????,????????????? .

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:52:30

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:52:29

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:52:23

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:52:12

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:50:57

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:50:55

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:47:38

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:47:34

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:43:01

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:42:59

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:41:17

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 9:41:13

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 8:10:36

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 8:10:33

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 7:53:14

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 7:53:12

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 7:42:46

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 7:42:43

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 7:33:25

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 7:33:23

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 6:15:18

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 6:15:16

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 5:44:31

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 5:44:28

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 5:38:44

Log: 'Application' Date/Time: 09/09/2012 5:38:42

Advertisements

Honlo

Honlo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
contents edited duplicate post

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 September 2012 - 10:48 AM.
duplicate log

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You have with repect made it a liitle difficult I said please send me only ERROR and application

On the first run please select only ERROR and only Application
I will ask for others if I need them.

There was just TOO much to work woth.

I will ask for the others if I want them

I realise I said on the last then look if there is anything, when you could not run VEW, but I did not mean to send them all when you then found you could.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go to windows updates please
see if you download and install any

Honlo

Honlo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Im so sorry about the previous post. I didnt read carefully abt your instructions.

As for the windowns updates.
Indeed i didnt install any beforehand. There's about 4 Important updates that i didnt install before which i did now.
And im waiting to see if there will be anymore crash.

Do i need to give you any other report in the mean time ?

Honlo

Honlo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Nevermind. I hanged again even after the window updates........