Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which laptop should i buy out of these two? I'm really new to lapt

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

khamaar

khamaar

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi...I am getting an offer of two laptops at the same price. Which one should i pick? Below are the specs.

HP G4
Intel Core i5 @ 2.3 GHz
4 GB ram.
500 GB hard disk
1 GB Dedicated Graphics card (Radeon graphics)

HP 431
Intel Core i5 @ 2.3 GHz
4 GB ram
500 Gb hard disk
1 GB dedicated graphics card (Radeon Graphics)

Both have this 14" screen.

I know these are pretty much budget laptops, but that's the price range i can afford. I dont know much about laptops. All im looking for is something that would run smooth, would run my engineering softwares, wouldnt heat up much, and would play those average games.

Please help me decide which one i should take. (And if u r experienced enough, can u tell me what kind of games would i play smoothly with these laptops?)

THANKS A LOT LOT LOT

Advertisements

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Both of these units have identical specs, so what we need is the specifications that make them two different models from the same manufacturer; please post all specs for each unit. Especially check on how much L2 and L3 cache you are getting on each CPU, that can really make a super difference on performance. The specs you posted indicate a separate video card, not integrated video on the motherboard; make very sure that is the case, in games and CAD programs the video card plays as much a part as the CPU and amount of memory.

run my engineering softwares...and would play those average games.

This is the critical point. I don't know what engineering software you are referring to, but if it is a CAD program of some kind you probably would get it to run, but slowly. Especially if you are going to do a final render on your project, that can take hours and possibly not complete at all depending on what you are doing. Carefully check the hardware requirements that your engineering software posts as basic requirements, and then "bump up" the requirements for a reality check. For example, if it specs "Windows 98 or better" as the operating system, then for it to run properly you will need minimally Windows XP; if it says it needs 1 gig RAM, then it will need 4gigs of RAM for top performance, etc. etc.

As far as "average" games go, remember that gaming drives the personal computer industry. Games apply the greatest stress of any software out there, so I would not expect too much excitement. You may have a lot of dropped frames in intensive scenes. There really are no "average" games; the gaming industry is fiercely competitive and are striving to outdo each other, so everything out there requires serious hardware, especially if you are gaming online.

Edited by ranchhand3, 12 September 2012 - 09:22 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
khamaar

You have not responded to this topic yet, but you have however created another topic
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

today, 13 Sept, which unless I am mistaken, is basically asking the same question.

Please do not create more than one topic on the same issue.

Thank you.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Topic closed as requested by khammar on the other topic
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1