Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer running VERY slowly - no imediate virus apparent to offer gui

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello atlus,

this was the only Txt. log that I could find ...

Yes it's this bit from the instructions you have to do to get the log.

"make sure you copy the logfile first!"

Now

Your Java is out of date. Older versions are vunerable to attack.

Please follow these steps:

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
Also

Your Flashplayer is out of date. Older versions are vunerable to attack.

Go here to download the latest Adobe Flash Player

Make sure you untick the box "Yes, install McAfee Security Scan Plus - optional" before downloading.

Moving on

I am not seeing malware as your machines problem now. Over time computers do build up bits and pieces of left over programs updates etc. which slow the machine. Some people even go to extent of reformatting their computers every few years just to clean them up. Removing surplus programs can help, also making sure your computer is clean (dust free) and not overheating are good housekeeping actions to help it run efficiently. Here are a couple of links that may be helpful:

Go here for information about what makes your computer slow by Artellos.

In addition:

miekiemoes has a blog with some information about slow computing.

Just scroll down until you find it, might be helpful. Link below.

http://miekiemoes.bl...l/Slow computer

Next

Please run OTL.exe
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [emptytemp]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot when it is done

After that

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.Posted Image

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix and tools used in the removal of malware. This will also clean out and reset your Restore Points.
  • Click START then RUN
  • Now type Combofix /Uninstall in the runbox and click OK. Note the space between the X and the U, it needs to be there.

Posted Image
Step 2

• Double-click OTL.exe to run it. (Vista users, please right click on OTL.exe and select "Run as an Administrator")
  • Click on the CleanUp! button
  • Click Yes to begin the Cleanup process and remove these components, including this application.
  • You will be asked to reboot the machine to finish the Cleanup process. If you are asked to reboot the machine choose Yes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A reminder: Remember to (re-install if unistalled during cleaning) up date and turn back on any anti-malware programs you may have turned off during the cleaning process.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are some things that I think are worth having a look at if you don't already know about them:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is good security practice to change your passwords to all your online accounts on a fairly regular basis, this is especially true after an infection. Refer to this Microsoft article Strong passwords: How to create and use them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regularly check that your Java is up to date. Older versions are vunerable to malicious attack.

• Download Java for Windows

Reboot your computer.
    You also need to unininstall older versions of Java.
  • Click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs
  • Remove all Java updates except the latest one you have just installed.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make Internet Explorer more secure
  • Click Start > Run
  • Type Inetcpl.cpl & click OK
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Reset all zones to default level
  • Make sure the Internet Zone is selected & Click Custom level
  • In the ActiveX section, set the first two options ("Download signed and unsigned ActiveX controls) to "Prompt", and ("Initialize and Script ActiveX controls not marked as safe") to "Disable".
  • Next Click OK, then Apply button and then OK to exit the Internet Properties page.
* Consider using an alternate browser.

Opera may be downloaded from here. It is one of the least targeted of all browers.

Avant may be downloaded from here. Another one that is less well known.

Chrome may be downloaded from here . One of the most used nowadays.

Firefox may be downloaded from Here. I use Firefox because I like it. Used to be one of the safest but now targeted probably as much as IE.

Adblock Plus is a good Add-on for Firefox that helps prevent those annoying pop ups.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To help protect your computer in the future here are some free programs you can look at:

• If you do not already have automatic updates set then it is recommended that you do set Windows to check, download and install your updates automatically.

* Click Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update
    * Under Windows Update click on Turn automatic updating on or off
    * Check items shown to ensure you receive updates automatically. Click OK.

And to keep your system clean consider choosing from these free for home use malware scanners and updating and running weekly.
  • Malwarebytes
  • SuperAntiSpyWare
Be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

Go here for some good advice about how to prevent infection.
Have a safe and happy computing day!

Advertisements

atlus

atlus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hi Emerald

First and foremost - thans GREATLY for all the time you spent with me - speechless

here is a screen shot of my programs - you had mentioned that I should dump the old version of Java but I was not sure if this IS an old version or something that needed to stay.

19-09-2012 2-27-08 PM.jpg

I have pretty much done everything else you instructed. I have NOT changed the security on my internet as you suggested - but I will as soon as I am finished working for the day. I cant help but think that some of these performance issues are due to the Norton anti virus being installed but I suppose that a neccessary evil.

Thanks again Emerald

Atlus

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts

you had mentioned that I should dump the old version of Java but I was not sure if this IS an old version or something that needed to stay.

Well it depends whether you use JavaFX or not. Here is a link that may be helpful.

I believe the latest version of JavaFX is JavaFX 2.2 released in August 2012.

If you don't use it then it's just cluttering up the place.

I suppose that a neccessary evil.

Here are my thoughts on anti-virus programs for what they are worth.

Most of the well known anti-virus products are good. Some perform better in some aspects than others but if you were to look at the overall picture they are mostly good.

Sometimes one will be on top of the pops one month and another on another month. Of course there are some rogue programs out there too that you must steer clear of because they bring infection with them.

Some of the free ones are good but you do not get the full service. The sound "pay for products" out there have packages which include anti-spyware, firewalls and adware blocking so you get the whole lot in one go.

This link will take you to an independant site showing comparatives for Anti-virus products. Look at comparatives with caution because one month a program may do well and in another not so well.

http://www.av-comparatives.org/

All of the ones shown there are good products. Sometimes it comes down to your personal taste. In other words you like a particular product because to you it is user friendly or looks good.

Ones I personally like at the moment are Avast, Avira, ESET and Kaspersky but that is only a personal preference and my preferences do change as products undergo improvement.

Of the free ones, I recommend Avast, Avira and MSE. All are good.

If you are looking at free products Avast or Avira I would look at combining the anti-virus, with a free firewall and also look at and anti-spyware product (say the free versions Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware) and update and run it once a week.

Microsoft Security Essentials together with Windows Firewall (which comes with Windows) is probably a good choice for the run of the mill user. This because it is light on resources, it is unobtrusive (it works away in the background without interrupting) and you don't have to be an expert. Firewalls have a habit of flagging suspicious files and asking the user to decide whether to accept the file or not. Often the run of the mill user has no idea about what a particular file does and just says no to everything... down the track they wonder why programs they use regularly suddenly stop working or maybe they try and download something they frequently downloaded in the past but now find they can't.

Here are three good free for personal use antivirus :
Here are two good firewalls free for personal use:

Note: Do not use more than one anti-virus or firewall. Running two or more real-time anti-virus, anti-spyware and firewall monitors at the same time can cause a conflict. That conflict can result in slow computer performance, error messages, crashes of the programs or other types of failure. You will very likely end up with little or no protection.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.