Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows won't start when graphics drivers are installed

• Please log in to reply

MystGFX

MystGFX

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello Forum,

Today while watching a Youtube video in fullscreen, my computer froze up completely, so I hit reset.
After the "Loading Windows" Screen(the one before the welcome screen), my monitor went black and cycled through inputs as though no signal was found.
By booting in safe mode, i was able to uninstall my graphics driver(I even used Driver Sweeper to get rid of everything related) and my computer was able to boot normally again.
Now, whenever i try to install a graphics driver(any driver, even old ones and the one that came on the CD) I get that black screen when (re)booting.

No new hardware was installed for months before this issue, nor did i update my graphics drivers recently.
I've been googling for about 3 hours now and tried most everything.
Tomorrow i will try out an old graphics card, but i really hope this one isn't broken already since it's not even a year since i bought it.

My Specs are:
Intel i5 2500
4GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-Bit

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Myst

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: MystGFX

Please provide the PSU (power supply unit) details, brand and model name or number.

Run DriverMax and see what video drivers are suggested http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ download and save them to your desktop but do not install them yet.

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

NB: You can only download 2 drivers a day for free from DriverMax and please uncheck the install AVG toolbar box.

MystGFX

MystGFX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello and thank you for your reply.

Drivermax spit out this page for recommended drivers:
http://www.drivermax...VGA-Grafikkarte

However this looks a little shady to me. I prefer to download my display drivers from the official site only(nvidia.com).

Attached is a pic of speedfan. note that the bottom part does not display anything(even though i ran it was administrator).

I was able to find this (see second attachment). Not sure if this is what you are looking for, though.

I feel like i should add that i have been running this system flawlessly for over a year without ever changing the hardware.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfanpic.jpg
  • speccypic.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

I asked previously;

Please provide the PSU (power supply unit) details, brand and model name or number.

Can you please provide these details.

I can assure you that there is nothing shady about DriverMax, they are a certified partner of Microsoft who do not just sign up with anyone.

The Speccy results show that the +3.3V rail is too low (see table below) + there is no +12V for us to check, please run HWMonitor and again post a screenshot for us http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

MystGFX

MystGFX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
my PSU is this:
XFX PRO850W Core Edition Full Wired Power Supply

and here's the pic of HWMonitor

Attached Thumbnails

• hwmpic.jpg

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
HWM also shows the +3.3V rail is low + no +12V reading :unsure:
A bad +3.3V rail can cause issues with the following Chipsets, some DIMMs, PCI/AGP/PCIe cards and miscellaneous chips and so may be the cause of the issue that you are having.

You may wish to remove Speedfan and HWMonitor now as I would like you to provide us with an Everest screenshot

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so your temps and voltages can be checked.

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

Can you also see if you can obtain the readings in your BIOS.

MystGFX

MystGFX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I uploaded the everest report file to pastebin for your viewing pleasure: http://pastebin.com/pzPYGxaB

When using Everest, Windows warned me that its(everest's) driver was not signed and refused to install it. i believe this is why the sensors tab only shows one of my drives.

i also believe that we found our missing +12V (see bios pic)

Attached Thumbnails

• everestpic.jpg
  • biospic.JPG

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Well we can see that the +12V rail is ok now if nothing else!

A couple of graphics tests for you to run if you will please;
http://www.technibbl...ry-stress-test/
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

Let us know how the outcome of each test please.

MystGFX

MystGFX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
both of these didn't run properly because i dont have a real graphics driver installed.

do you think that reinstalling windows might help? I don't really think it would help since i believe i really got rid of any driver files(i uninstalled them in safe mode and ran driver sweeper before rebooting)

thanks for sticking with me!

Attached Thumbnails

• stuff.jpg
  • morestuff.jpg

MystGFX

MystGFX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello there!

I'm lucky to say that i was able to fix the problem by simply reinstalling windows 7. everything works flawlessly again!

thank you phillpower2 for your efforts. they are very much appreciated.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Great news and a job well done MystGFX :spoton:

Thank you for posting how the issue was resolved as the information may help others in the future :thumbsup: