Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer extremely slow

• Please log in to reply

jolemac1911

jolemac1911

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello,

Can anyone help? ? I've got a Packard Bell desktop computer that is extremely slow, I currently use a USB wireless hub to connect to the internet and each time I log on it works and then within 5 minutes it goes off with a message saying "wireless limited or no connection."

The computer details are as follows: Windows XP Professional , Version 2002, Service Pack 3, 256 MB of RAM.

I mostly use this computer for gaming and even this doesn't seem to work, I've got a recovery disc which I had run recently and there is no improvement in speed and internet access. I have to keep switching it on and off in order to get an internet connection and another thing I've noticed is that It takes a long time to shut down.

Any advice is deeply appreciated.

Advertisements

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Please provide the exact model # of your Packard Bell... are you sure about that amount of RAM that you posted? How large is your hard drive, and how much free space remains on it? Do you have an idea of how old the unit is?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This may help with most of the info.

Push and hold the Windows key on keyboard. This is the one with the Microsft windows logo on it.
While holding Win key down click on the Pause\Break key

This should open the System properties window
On this window it will show

System info:

Microsoft Windows: type and version
Service Pack number

Registered Name
Register Number

Computer:
CPU type
Memory
I need all the above info in your next reply Except for Register name and number.
This is private and we don't need to know this information

jolemac1911

jolemac1911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Here's the info you require

System info:
Microsoft Windows:Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Service Pack: Version 2002, Service Pack 2.

Computer - Intel ®, Pentium ®
CPU type - 4 CPU
Memory - 1.50 GHZ, 1.50 GHZ, 256 MB of RAM

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Memory - 1.50 GHZ, 1.50 GHZ, 256 MB of RAM

Major bottleneck right now.
You are at absolute minimum just for the OS alone not counting anything else you are running.
Now can you post the following:

Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Male sure the window is open all the way on the top right so I can see all the info it has.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.

Attach it to your next reply

ranchhand3

ranchhand3

• PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
...also, please post the exact model# of your unit. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 23 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

rascal27

rascal27

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi,if you have pen drive...use the pen drive working like a RAM... just insert your 4GB pen drive in usb port...click properties and go to ready to boost option..now it shows three option like this
1) no use this device
2)allocate this device
3)use this device

select third option use this device now allocate the space upto 3GB now click apply and close it...now you can feel your system running good and speed....