Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't open any antivirus or spyware [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bcourage

bcourage

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I'm trying to fix my parents computer but can't seem to do ANYTHING with it. it's a compaq presario CQ62-215DX. I've tried to install and run several antivirus and malware programs but either when i download them the file says "Corrupt file" or once i get them installed they say they can't run then because they are corrupt files. I can't update any software on the computer, and it keeps randomly crashing/restarting. I'm getting a blue dump screen, and both firefox and google chrome are crashing constantly.

They never set a restore point on the computer and i really need to get it running. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to get into safe mode with networking but it won't load.

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!

thanks!

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

My research leads me to believe this particular machine will have a version of Windows 7 installed. Can you confirm for myself please which exact Operating System is in use be it 32 or 64 bit and we will go from there, thank you.

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. :)

My research leads me to believe this particular machine will have a version of Windows 7 installed. Can you confirm for myself please which exact Operating System is in use be it 32 or 64 bit and we will go from there, thank you.

Thank you for the reply and my apologies. It's running Windows 7 64bit.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Thank you for the reply and my apologies. It's running Windows 7 64bit.

Not a problem in the least I assure you and you're welcome!

For now I propose we actually work outside of the Windows environment if you will and that way I can check if the following will reveal anything...

Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool:

Please download and save Farbar Recovery Scan Tool 64-Bit to a Flash/USB drive.

Then insert the Flash/USB drive into the infected machine....

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
[*]Select Command Prompt
[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst64.exe and press Enter[/list] Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste the contents of the aforementioned notepad file in your next reply.

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Sorry for the late reply. i had to buy a new jump drive, and haven't been home until today. I've tried to enter every mode in advanced boot options but have been unsuccessful. I keep getting a drive error and am only able to run in normal windows mode. Any suggestions?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Sorry for the late reply. i had to buy a new jump drive, and haven't been home until today.

Not a problem.

I've tried to enter every mode in advanced boot options but have been unsuccessful. I keep getting a drive error and am only able to run in normal windows mode. Any suggestions?

OK try the following as a alternative for me please...

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Too 64 Bit and save it to a flash drive. (if you have deleted the first version that is)
  • Ensure that you have a blank(writeable) CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads etc.
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Insert the USB with FRST
  • Locate the flash drive with FRST and double click
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    Posted Image
  • Clcick on the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste the contents of the aforementioned notepad file in your next reply.

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I can't seem to burn this to a CD. I've downloaded several copies and it keeps saying "File Is Corrupt" It makes it to about 30% of extraction and then the corrupt error appears.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

I can't seem to burn this to a CD. I've downloaded several copies and it keeps saying "File Is Corrupt" It makes it to about 30% of extraction and then the corrupt error appears.

Are you attempting the download using your parents computer? If so that would explain the problem giving the current malware issues.

If not, is there a Windows 7 Installation DVD available for your parents computer? As we could use that to check if we can boot into the Advanced Boot Options. Again if not check if you can actually create a Start-Up Repair Disk .

If none of the above is a option/feasible etc merely let myself know and we can try something else OK. :thumbsup:

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, I managed to borrow the neighbors computer and burned the CD. i mounted from the disk it was successful in starting but once it completely loaded the computer crashed and i got a "blue screen" crash error. Stating there was a disc check problem and it needed to shut down to prevent damage.

Where should i go from here :[

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Ok, I managed to borrow the neighbors computer and burned the CD. i mounted from the disk it was successful in starting but once it completely loaded the computer crashed and i got a "blue screen" crash error. Stating there was a disc check problem and it needed to shut down to prevent damage.

Where should i go from here :[

I forgot to mention this is a secondhand computer so we have no original disks and of course whenever i try to make a recovery disk it won't allow me.

What a mess i have on my hands.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Acknowledged.

I forgot to mention this is a secondhand computer so we have no original disks and of course whenever i try to make a recovery disk it won't allow me.

Acknowledged also...do you have perhaps a 2lb ball pein hammer? If so whack the computer with it! :lol:

Levity asisde, let myself have a further think about this particular situation and I will ask for a second opinion from a well respected IT Tech colleague also.

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Acknowledged.

Acknowledged also...do you have perhaps a 2lb ball pein hammer? If so whack the computer with it! :lol:

Levity asisde, let myself have a further think about this particular situation and I will ask for a second opinion from a well respected IT Tech colleague also.

I've already given it a few whack's trust me lol.

But all joking aside. Thank you for the help and i appreciate the timely response!

Regards,

Bryan

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
OK...and you're most welcome! :)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I very much doubt if having read the topic this will work, but please give it a try

Many computer problems are related to soft failures on the hard drive. The comprehensive portion of the HP Hard Drive Self

Test repairs soft errors on the hard drive, but does not report the errors. After the test completes, be sure to restart the computer to determine if the test repaired any problems you are experiencing with your computer

Plug the AC Adapter into the computer if it is not already connected.
Turn off the computer and wait 5 seconds.
Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS Setup menu.
Use the Right Arrow or Left Arrow keys to navigate through the menu selection to find the Primary Hard Drive Self Test option.
Depending on your BIOS, this may be found below Diagnostics or Tools .
  • Select Primary Hard Drive Self Test , and then press the Enter key to start the test.
  • Figure 1: Example of a Primary Hard Disk Self Test screenPosted Image
If by chance you can get there, run the short test and you should then be offered the selection of the long test

The other point that comes to my mind is - you say it is second hand - did it ever work Ok or were you unfortunate enough to buy it and find this problem immediately

bcourage

bcourage

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I very much doubt if having read the topic this will work, but please give it a try

Many computer problems are related to soft failures on the hard drive. The comprehensive portion of the HP Hard Drive Self

Test repairs soft errors on the hard drive, but does not report the errors. After the test completes, be sure to restart the computer to determine if the test repaired any problems you are experiencing with your computer

Plug the AC Adapter into the computer if it is not already connected.
Turn off the computer and wait 5 seconds.
Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS Setup menu.
Use the Right Arrow or Left Arrow keys to navigate through the menu selection to find the Primary Hard Drive Self Test option.
Depending on your BIOS, this may be found below Diagnostics or Tools .

• Select Primary Hard Drive Self Test , and then press the Enter key to start the test.
  • Figure 1: Example of a Primary Hard Disk Self Test screenPosted Image
If by chance you can get there, run the short test and you should then be offered the selection of the long test

The other point that comes to my mind is - you say it is second hand - did it ever work Ok or were you unfortunate enough to buy it and find this problem immediately

Thank you for the suggestion! Short test ran successfully and then the long test made it to 67% before it said [306 Hard Disk Full] and shut down.