Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer ground ?

• Please log in to reply

dudlee

dudlee

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
past few weeks i noticed my keyboard is running a bit slow than it should . then just yesterday the keyboard has stopped working at all.
i have bought two new keyboards, one is a ps/2 keyboard and the other one is a usb keyboard to make sure that it was not just because of a faulty socket. none of them have worked . then i noticed that every time my friend touches the computer casing the keyboard works fine . so now i wanted to you guys if theres any posible way to fix this ? to make it work without us having to touch the computer casing everytime . im so sorry for my bad english . thank you in advance . any help would be much appreciated .

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
:welcome: dudlee

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing these details will enable us to better assist you.

For the record - your English is fine :thumbsup:

dudlee

dudlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
my motherboard is ECS a740gm-m . amd athlon x2 2.7 ghz processor .

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
Please provide your computer case and your PSU (power supply unit) details, brand and model name or number.

dudlee

dudlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
uhm dont think my casing has a brand. The PSU brand is powerlogic, switching power supply atx-550-w

this is all thats written to it
ac input - voltage: 220v - curennt: 3a - frequency 50-60hz

just today, i tied a wire from my computer casing to some sort of metal out of our window. and it works . LOL but still keyboard does'nt respond that fast .

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
Sorry I have never heard of that brand of PSU and that is not a good sign but that may be secondary to what appears to be the case having a short circuit as this has the potential for disaster including fire, electrocution or possibly worse.

I suggest that you check out the internal power connections, power button and the IO plate at the rear of the case as this grounds the MB (see .jpeg below) also below is my canned text for cleaning out dust from inside the case as this can not only cause overheating but also static charge build up.

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan.
Make sure that all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components,re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.

Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

The keyboard issue may be unrelated BTW and we should only look at that when it is established that the computer is safe to use.

dudlee

dudlee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
ok sorry if i didnt reply earlier than i should have

about my problem with the ground that messed up my keyboard, its now working fine. turns out that the problem was the power only. it works fine now after i have replaced it. :D thank you very much sir for the help

Edited by dudlee, 15 November 2012 - 06:24 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,035 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for the update :thumbsup: