Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which laptop should i buy under 500$?

• Please log in to reply

khamaar

khamaar

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Here are my requirements,

i-I want to be an HP laptop under 500$
ii- Im in college so i'd want it to run smoothly those basic softwares for me like MATLAB, AUTOCAD, ADOBE softwares
iii- SINCE im in college,:D i'd also want a laptop that could reasonably entertain me through games and other multimedia stuff.
iv- Last but not the least, im running a very low budget (:P)

I found a laptop in a store nearby and here are the specs

HP G4
Intel Core i5 @ 2.3 GHz
4 GB ram.
500 GB hard disk
1 GB Dedicated Graphics card (Radeon graphics)

This one's refurbished with 3 mnths warranty and available @ 480$

Please tell me, is this a good deal?
Would it run games those 2010 games?
If this isnt good then what other options do i have?

What are the things to look at in a laptop when u're a studious, gamer, exciting college boy, nevertheless a miser willing to spend max 500$? :D

Replies with be rewarded

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello khamaar

I am afraid that anything other than the high end notebooks such as the Dell Alienware range will disappoint you gaming wise, this is down to them not having very good graphics chips which in turn is due to them not being able to provide the amount of power a good video chip/card requires which is typically a minimum of 300W and above, a notebook battery simply cannot provide such power.

For your other stated use you want a minimum of 8GB of Ram and a faster HDD that has a larger storage capacity than the one you mention in your OP, new and only $19 more expensive than the refurbished one you have enquired about http://www.tigerdire...9670&CatId=4935 the CPU unfortunately is not as fast as the i5

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
khamaar

Yesterday 12 Sept, at 3.55pm - 1555hrs you posted this topic
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

You received a reply at 4.18pm 1618hrs - to which you have not yet responded

There is as far as I can see little difference in the two topics, the one posted yesterday on the link above and the one here to which my good colleague phillpower2 has replied.

As this topic was posted today at 6.27pm - 1827 hrs, it is difficult to understand the reason for starting another topic on the same question.

Please do not do this and may I ask that you respond to both.

Thank you for your co-operation

khamaar

khamaar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I understand....Sorry for the multiple threads, i just couldnt really point out my problem in the other thread, the admin may close it.

Now, please just tell me, which laptop would cost around 500-600$ and would be "relatively" good in running games and multimedia, and would be reliable and pretty aswell....

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See the reply from my colleague - with the link he has sent you.
I have closed the other topic

khamaar

khamaar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Im located in Pakistan...

And please just give me appropriate advice, im not concluding anything from the links u give me...

Laptops here are relatively cheap. As i mentioned, there's a laptop sitting in the store. Its an HP g4, 3rd generation corei5 @ 2.4 Ghz, 1 Gb Radeon DEDICATED graphics card, 500 Gb HDD, 4 gb of ram...

What are the cons of this laptop? would it overheat or anything, is it reliable...if not then what other options do i have in its price range...

?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I may be wrong but I thought that the question had been answered

If you prefer the spec of the recondtioned one with three months warrantry, against the one sent with the link by my good colleague phillpower2, with its larger HDD 750GB as against 500 and apart from the sllightly lesser spec of the porcessor, a better overall spec than the one you mention, then clearly go for your choice

Some people willl only buy computers with Intel processors. Some people actually prefer the AMD processor

Any laptop will overheat if it is used inappropriately - indeed on your lap.

You said

i-I want to be an HP laptop under 500$

If it has to be HP and it has to be under 500$ then your choice is a little limited I think.

I regret that you consider your questions unanswered and find the provided information - inconclusive

May I suggest that YOU search the reviews of the laptop you are considering the refurbished model and the one my colleague suggested

http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=852

as of course, anyone responding to your post can only offer more definitive advice, if they have actual experience of those particular laptops.

khamaar

khamaar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
will the HP g4 laptop that i am talking about, run GTA IV with its dedicated 1gb graphics card and 4 gb ram and i5 processor, or will that too fail?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

khamaar

khamaar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
i know google and i know how to search, so stop sending me search links... thanks for not providing me any info...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You asked

will the HP g4 laptop that i am talking about, run GTA IV with its dedicated 1gb graphics card and 4 gb ram and i5 processor

The answer is, however it is worded, look at the requirements of the game and look at the reviews for the laptop, especially on the forum for Grand Theft Auto and see if firstly the laptop matches the requirements of the game, and then see if there are any reports of the laptop being used for GTA and what was the opinion of the user.

If you know the system requirements of GTA 1V and the ideal specification to run the game then the purpose of the question - Will the HP g4 run GTA? escapes me.

I thought I made the position clear when I said

as of course, anyone responding to your post can only offer more definitive advice, if they have actual experience of those particular laptops.

I do not have actual experience of using those latops, so I provided the help I could using my knowledge of computers in general.

I regret that you found the adice offered by my colleague phillpower2 and myself unhelpful.