Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD/DVD burning software

• Please log in to reply

mplehning

mplehning

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, I'm looking for something and I don't know that it exists. Hopefully I can explain it well for someone out there to understand and be able to tell me if it does or does not exist!

I have a boat load of pictures I've been scanning and fixing/restoring that I now want to burn onto CD/DVDs to give to my brothers and sisters. If you boil it down to a minimal description, I guess what I'm looking for is a way to create a data disk with a directory structure and a front-end program that would make it easy to view the pictures (NOT in a slideshow) based on, say, tag values in the EXIF data of the files.

For example, we moved around a few times in my childhood so I currently have them saved in a directory structure by where we lived when the picture was taken. So, I have something like:
Pictures
  • Oshkosh
  • Lizard Lick
  • Jacksonville
  • Austin

The files are for the most part named with who is in them, but I could also add EXIF data to the files with the names...I imagine that's the same as "tags". What I want is to be able to put the disc in, have the front-end program start up and maybe present a menu of choices for viewing:
- By location
  • Oshkosh
  • Lizard Lick
  • Jacksonville
  • Austin
- By name
  • Pictures of Billy
  • Pictures of Susie
  • Pictures of Mom

Really it's almost like predefined database queries in that sense.

The other way I picture it is like a version of something like Picasa loaded on the disc and with the facial recognition stuff, tweaked ahead of time, it's already there either by the directory structure or by person.

I hope that description is clearer than it feels like it is. Does anyone know of something that has that sort of capability? All the "photo CD" programs talk about creating slideshows and that's not what I want to do.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Edited by mplehning, 13 September 2012 - 08:01 PM.

Advertisements