Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nvidia Geforce 7300 GS overheats very quickly and system freezes. Also

• Please log in to reply

Hoihe

Hoihe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I have been wondering, is there any chance that my VGA might have been damaged by the heat? Or if there be an infection in my system that attacked my drivers for Nvidia? (I sometimes get crashes related to Nv drivers or rundll32.) I have tried reinstalling but apparently no fix for the driver part.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Unfortunately there is every chance that all of your hardware has been affected by the heat.

Once the PSU has been swapped and the additional fan fitted we can suggest some tests for you. if however you have a malware issue and you cannot resolve it yourself you must seek the assistance of the experts on the malware forums, again do not do this until the hardware has been upgraded as the Techs there cannot help you while there is a suspect PSU fitted.

Hoihe

Hoihe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I have a friends' computer offered. He no longer uses it, the HDD failed and the hardware is not enough for him. He was thinking of scrapping it or selling it, but he's willing to allow me to test my hardware with it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
This is a good idea if the hardware is compatible, first of all check what PSU is in it and then post the details here please.

Hoihe

Hoihe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
It's a weak PSU, if my understanding is right (it was straight from the factory PC, not self built and such PCs tend to have weak PSU's).

Either way, I really hope replacing the fan and PSU will fix my problems. Apparently someone else had such issues crashing as well and it fixed theirs. If anything, at best I hope my VGA is broken. (I can easily replace it with my friend's. Motherboard and other hardware are beyond me however.)

I will be able to access it tomorrow (sunday).

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I am around all of Sunday so any questions please let me know.

A cautionary note, heat and a poor power supply stresses hardware and so brings about a premature end of life to such hardware thus meaning that any damage that may have been done is irreparable and will not be remedied by adding new components.

Hoihe

Hoihe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Well, considering that when I do get a stop error it's something starting with nv I think hopefully it's contained with my VGA. I checked the capaciators and none of them are blown or otherwise visibly damaged.

I found a VGA at home that has a built in fan. Nvidia Geforce 4 TI 4200 with 128MB video RAM. Just enough to play NWN2. I'll see if my friend's computer has a stronger VGA or not.

It also Appear HWmonitor thinks my 12 V rail is faulty as well.

UPDATE:

I've got my hands on a pair of VGA's but decided against testing them until I replace my PSU.

Ati RADEON X600 256MB VRAM GU-RX 30l256TE-FS Passive Cooling
Nvidia Geforce 4 TI4200 128 MB VRAM - Has a built in Fan, active cooling.

Edited by Hoihe, 23 September 2012 - 08:44 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The X600 would be your best option, see below;

Hoihe

Hoihe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Then the wish-list is the following:

PSU - Got the money, will arrive on Sep. 26th.
1 PCI-slot fan for VGA cooling
1 Exhaust fan

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Let us know when you are up and running or if you have any questions.

Advertisements

Hoihe

Hoihe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
A question it is then, is it unadvised to dust off a VGA using a soft-hair brush? Cans of compressed air are a difficult find apparently in my area and the VGA I salvaged is rather dusty.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Do not use a hair brush as it may create static and damage the card, use a q-tip and physically blow the dust off.

Hoihe

Hoihe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Physically as in with mouth? Alright.

So brushes are ill-advised for working with computers in general or only with VGA?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Many brushes have nylon bristles which can cause static.

Hoihe

Hoihe

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
I wonder if this would apply in my case. I will however replace the PSU, if just because it's over 5 years old now.

FIXED Finally!!! I have had this issue for a long time and tried many things. In Linux I noticed it was crashing with 3d games too which made me look at the BIOS. This may be a issue with AMD64 and video card.

Other people suggested video card was going bad, bad power supply, not true!!

PNY 7600 GS 512
AMD 64 2600
MB - ASUS K8N

Fix for me was:

Windows:

1.) Turn off APIC stuff in the BIOS
2.) Must reinstall windows after this (Didn't work without reinstalling)

On another forums I read it's dead VGA and apparently a replacement fixed it. It turns out Nvidia is not the best brand as per their product's durability.

I've been reading on your forums and found

Crashes during memory intensive tasks such as using Photoshop, playing 3d games etc..
When intensive programs are used there is a greater risk of hardware over-stressing itself, thus causing errors. This is actually an area of testing completed by Memtest to check for RAM stability.
The general term for this would be stress testing. This is were hardware is put under extra pressure to perform large task. Faulty RAM would not be able to cope in most instances under this pressure thus singling it out as faulty.

Edited by Hoihe, 25 September 2012 - 01:29 AM.