Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC keeps failing

• Please log in to reply

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Let me know if the new instructions finally work. :thumbsup:

OK so I ran it the right way and it told me to insert the disk, so I did, I let it finish doing what it was doing. Once finished, I restarted my PC, checked it again, and it told me to insert the disk again.

Attached Thumbnails

• WT.JPG

Edited by LptpUser13, 18 October 2012 - 11:20 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you reinsert the disk and if so what happened when you told it to continue? :confused:

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Did you reinsert the disk and if so what happened when you told it to continue? :confused:

Yes I did, after I re-inserted the disk it continued to run its scan the the same way as the first time I put the disk in when it asked me too and then it finished doing its check.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Good and did it reboot and ask for you to do everything again?

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Good and did it reboot and ask for you to do everything again?

No, once the program finished the window just closed; it didn't do anything else.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that tells me it found something, repaired or replaced and then had to reboot to correct it.
How is the system running since it completed?

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

OK that tells me it found something, repaired or replaced and then had to reboot to correct it.
How is the system running since it completed?

It is still BSOD crashing repeatedly. I just checked it again and this time it did not request the disk, it just finished and closed.
{I ran the Blue Screen View again, there has been 219 more crashes since the last time I checked (bringing the total to 550 crashes).}

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let me ask and I apologize if I asked you before but have you tried going into Safe Mode and seeing if the issue happens while in there?

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

OK let me ask and I apologize if I asked you before but have you tried going into Safe Mode and seeing if the issue happens while in there?

You have and that's perfectly fine. last time I tried running in safe mode, It went to the choose boot page I clicked safe mode then it went on to the choose what to load page (i.e. windows XP) then I clicked that and it went listed a bunch of drivers then restarted itself. So I couldn't get into safe mode, I can try to get to safe mode again if you'd like.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes please just to double check and see if we have resolved the issue there yet.

Advertisements

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Yes please just to double check and see if we have resolved the issue there yet.

OK I tried it again and it did the same thing it had done before.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK there is something wrong with the default drivers for windows. Lets try a repair installation and see if we can correct it.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
I did as you posted, after it finished doing all it was doing it went to a black Windows loading screen it just stayed there it never changed/went any further. My PC is doing a different BSOD crash now it stays up on the screen and my Internet explorer is messing up. I believe it rolled back to an older version because it looks completely different, it won't allow me to use any favorite links, it won't go to anything I type in the address bar (I can type in it only,it won't do anything else),sometimes it wont let me use the standard buttons giving an error message, it's displaying pages completely wrong, etc...
I tried to download a newer version(IE8) and it wouldn't let me giving me the same error message. I don't know what to do... :help:

(I do have a photo of the blue screen also but with IE the way it is it won't let me click the link to download the resized version(it was bigger than allowed) so I will try to get it on here if needed later.

Attached Thumbnails

• ief.JPG
  • ie8.JPG
  • pc 002.jpg

Edited by LptpUser13, 29 October 2012 - 03:14 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

My PC is doing a different BSOD crash now it stays up on the screen and my Internet explorer is messing up.

Please attach screenshot of BSOD

I believe it rolled back to an older version because it looks completely different, it won't allow me to use any favorite links, it won't go to anything I type in the address bar (I can type in it only,it won't do anything else),sometimes it wont let me use the standard buttons giving an error message, it's displaying pages completely wrong, etc...
I tried to download a newer version(IE8) and it wouldn't let me giving me the same error message. I don't know what to do... :help:

Are the screenshots from IE itself and have you tried a different browser?
Yes it may have rolled back to a older version of IE but your favorites should still be there.

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

My PC is doing a different BSOD crash now it stays up on the screen and my Internet explorer is messing up.

Please attach screenshot of BSOD

I believe it rolled back to an older version because it looks completely different, it won't allow me to use any favorite links, it won't go to anything I type in the address bar (I can type in it only,it won't do anything else),sometimes it wont let me use the standard buttons giving an error message, it's displaying pages completely wrong, etc...

Are the screen shots from IE itself and have you tried a different browser?
Yes it may have rolled back to a older version of IE but your favorites should still be there.

OK I will attach it soon I will have to do it on a different PC as IE does the error seen in the screen shot when I try to click most links on mine.(as needed for the photo resize)

Yes the screen shots are from it (the black was from the repair, since that screen never went further), I have never used any other browser type before(except Netscape). It seems to have went back to IE 6 or 7. My favorites are still listed but are not working, as I mentioned before clicking them doesn't take you anywhere, you can type in but not use the address bar, some buttons won't let you use them, most links won't work(you can click but it gives the same error message), and it's displaying every page incorrectly.

That error(in the screen shot) is what is displayed when I try to do most things on IE not just trying to download a new version; It's the same message each time.