Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My PC keeps failing

• Please log in to reply

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

OK then we need to find out what manufacturer your hd is then for sure.
You can get the model number from the bios if you know how to enter it.

I know that you hit F12 at startup to enter the menu but am not sure where to go from here(2nd pic)

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3668.JPG
  • 100_3658.JPG

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you want to is to highlight the Bios Setup and then click Enter.

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

What you want to is to highlight the Bios Setup and then click Enter.

Other then finding the service tag # and finding out what I already know (that my PC is a Dell Latitude D620) and some other info. I'm not sure I found what you need, So can you please tell me what I should look for in the BIOS setup menu?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Look for the Hardware tab at the top or look through the different areas to find where it identifies your drives.

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

You can open the bottom latch on the laptop marked with either HD or HDD This is the hard drive and then you should be able to see the manufacturer of your hard drive on it. If you are not cofortable with that then get the Seagate Seatools DOS CD ISO version.

I gave in and opened a little door on the bottom of my PC and the sticker said Samsung

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so now go back to the hard drive diagnostic site and look for the samsung dos cd iso version and try that.

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

OK so now go back to the hard drive diagnostic site and look for the samsung dos cd iso version and try that.

ok I got it downloaded to a disk and ran it on my PC...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did it find any problems?

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Did it find any problems?

This is what the end showed(the first is the long test & the other 2 are from the short test), I have the rest of the results if you need them.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK it looks like the hard drive is good then.
Is the issue still happening

Advertisements

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

OK it looks like the hard drive is good then.
Is the issue still happening

Yes it is. It starts up and goes to the boot menu, then once you choose one it flashes the BSOD and restarts and puts you right back to the boot menu.
Could this be something that snowballed down from when I tried to do the Repair Installation( http://www.geekstogo...ng/page__st__45 ) since there was problems that came from that? Or something else?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets check the BSOD and see what it says now.

Reboot and on the second black screen start tapping F8 to get to the Advance Boot Options.
Now scroll down to the line that says something about do not restart on error or something like that. Click that and the system should reboot. When it gets to the BSOD it will halt. Get the error code and the description of what it says for me please.

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

OK lets check the BSOD and see what it says now.

Reboot and on the second black screen start tapping F8 to get to the Advance Boot Options.
Now scroll down to the line that says something about do not restart on error or something like that. Click that and the system should reboot. When it gets to the BSOD it will halt. Get the error code and the description of what it says for me please.

It says-

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8635EB98, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

OK can you repeat the last steps except try the Last Known Good Configuration and see if it will bootup then.
Being a Dell there won't be a repair option available so we may be at a point that you may need just get your important data backed up and start fresh.

LptpUser13

LptpUser13

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

OK can you repeat the last steps except try the Last Known Good Configuration and see if it will bootup then.
Being a Dell there won't be a repair option available so we may be at a point that you may need just get your important data backed up and start fresh.

I tried but it BSOD crashed.