Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to load operating system after tdss killer rootkit [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

woodtri

woodtri

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I had the google redirect issue and went thru the tutorial. once i rebooted after tdss killer removed the file rootkit.boot.sinowal.b, i get the message unable to load operating system. this laptop is running win xp and does not have a cd drive.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi again...:)

Might be problematic trying to rectify this giving your machines lack of a Optical Drive and I suspect the actual MBR(master boot record) may be damaged/compromised for example. Hence the non booting issue...

Anyway for let myself know the exact make and modal of your machine and try the below please and let myself know the outcome:-

Reboot into Safe Mode:

How to boot into Safe Mode:

Restart your computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap the F8 key. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode, do so.

If any problems refer to this tutorial.

Next:

In Safe Mode when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears use the Arrow(On the number pad part of the keyboard)keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press the Enter/Return key.

woodtri

woodtri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
the laptop is a panasonic cf-19. I have a flash drive with the recovery console and tried fixboot and fixmbr to no avail. safe mode will not come up and i do not get a windows startup screen. only thing i can do is get to the bios. it does show my hard drive so i believe its just xp thats messed up. im trying to find someone with a usb cd drive, i have a win xp disk i can borrow. I have my own xp disk but its xp pro which i believe is different. is that the case or can i use xp pro to do a repair? if all else fails i can get it re imaged but id rather try to fix it as i have some things on it i would like to save. thanks, woody

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Here is some advice/support for the machine you have:-

Toughbook 19

Pretty much generic but may prove to be of use if you do not say have the manual for example.

i have a win xp disk i can borrow. I have my own xp disk but its xp pro which i believe is different. is that the case or can i use xp pro to do a repair?

If you are able to get a USB/Optical Drive you can only use the XP Installation CD-ROM that is the same as presently installed version etc:-

How-to repair Windows XP

Of if that option does not work the System Image you mentioned is a possibility also. Beforehand we could use the USB/Optical Drive to actually boot the machine with via a Boot Disk and that way retrieve anything you wish to save.

woodtri

woodtri

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
am i able to boot win xp from a flash drive?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Good question and I believe it can be done but never tried it myself to be honest...

Anyway the below two pages should prove of assistance:-

Boot Windows XP from a USB flash drive

Installing XP from a Flash Drive

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.