Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New laptop not getting full available wireless connection

• Please log in to reply

maximem

maximem

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hi all,

Thanks for any help you can provide, this is a strange error. Just bought an Acer Aspire S5-391. Set everything up, did all of the multiple rounds of windows updates. Now I'm having issues with my wireless connection. I get about 1/15 or 1/10 of the available connection that other laptops in the house can obtain, even when no other laptop is connected.

I've used an online speed test and have trouble getting more than 1-3 mbps, whereas my partners' laptop gets 15-16 mbps.
Here is my speetest.net result for this new laptop: http://www.speedtest.../2181771322.png
And for comparison, here it is for my other laptop: http://www.speedtest.../2181773642.png

What's odd is that the upload speed is very similar for both, but the download speed is nowhere near where it could be.

Could I have a faulty wireless card? I don't have an ethernet port so I can't check it that way. I also haven't compared with another wireless connection.

I have a D-Link wireless router, and am happy to provide any info or details on it if you have specific questions. I don't know my way around the settings very well but am good with basic instructions! We set it up as a WPA-personal. Maybe something in our settings limits what connection can go out?

I also went into the computer and saw the two wireless adapters:
qualcomm atheros AR5Bmd222 - was able to update it, saw no change.
Microsoft Virtual Wifi miniport adapter - nothing to update it

I have disconnected, rebooted the router and the modem, turned off my wifi, reset the computer, etc etc. My partners' laptop has no issues - so both of ours have worked, even at the same time, but this 3rd computer isn't properly working.
I'm using Windows 7 64bit

Thanks in advance!!

Advertisements

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
I've found the laptop on my wireless router settings, so here's a screenshot (it's called Maxime-laptop)

Posted Image

My current computer is HC-XPL-002, not sure why it's appearing so many times. I noticed that they are all expired?

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Hi everyone,

I realize this isn't the most exciting problem to solve, but would really appreciate the help if someone has a bit of time.

Are there known reasons why a router would limit one computer's access to the internet? Ideas of how I could troubleshoot this?
I've been traveling and connecting to a whole bunch of different wifis and not had any issues, except for here at home.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello maximum

Sorry that you have had to wait for a reply.

Did you have this problem before you installed "all of the multiple rounds of windows updates"
We will wait on the answer to the above before making suggestions for you, I have included a link to the Acer drivers page should it be required http://support.acer....px?modelId=4289

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks Phill, appreciate your response and your help. Unfortunately it's hard for me to gage when exactly I first connected to the net as I was setting up the computer and going through the windows updates. I think it's best to assume that it was never able to connect properly? Would that make sense?

Thanks for the link you provided. I went and downloaded the Wireless Lan driver which seems to have been updated a few days ago. I also took the Lan Driver (USB to ethernet, I should buy one of those!) and installed/updated it.

Restarted the computer, and did a speed test, no changes. If anything, it seems worse! haha
http://www.speedtest.../2210709261.png

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You are welcome maximem :thumbsup:

Can you do the following please, save the latest driver that you downloaded somewhere you will remember, uninstall both the Microsoft Virtual Wifi miniport adapter and the qualcomm atheros AR5Bmd222 in the Device Manager, remove all traces of software for both devices, restart the notebook and see if the hardware wizard detects new hardware, if it does only install the Atheros device and use the drivers that you saves earlier.

If still no change see below;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop...pit/default.asp
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

Thanks to rshaffer61 for the PCPitstop instructions :thumbsup:

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Going to follow your PC pitstop instructions now, but thought I would post about step 1 results here :)

After I removed both and rebooted, a new device was in the device manager

Other devices - Network Controller - and it had an error. try to update it and nothing happened, even tried to tell it to use the Atheros driver to
Network adapters - Scan for hardware changes did nothing
Went to install from the drivers I downloaded, and it seemed that the software was still on the computer even though I had uninstalled the driver. So I used the softward to do a full removal. Restarted the computer, opened the software and then did an install.
Unfortunately it automatically installs the miniport adapter at the same time without giving me the option during the install.
I could try to de-activate the miniport?

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
And here are the test results :) http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25078787

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the update :thumbsup:

Please ignore the mini port device for now and see if you are able to run PCPitstop and hopefully move on from there.

Please return to the PCPitstop results and address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem, post back when you have done this.

NB: Can I ask that you use the edit tab to add any additions if you have not yet received a reply to your last post, this will avoid us missing anything, thanks.

Edited by phillpower2, 29 September 2012 - 03:35 PM.
Additional guidance added

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
oops we posted almost at the same time, just want to make sure you don't miss the post above yours :)

And here are the test results :) http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25078787

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No worries it often happens <_<

In addition to dealing with the issues identified by PCPitstop can you also remove MSE and install Avast free, if it does not resolve the problem the procedure can soon be reversed, uninstalling and then reinstalling Firefox is also suggested if swapping the AV programs is not the answer.

http://www.avast.com...ivirus-download

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thanks!

Which updates from the PC scan were you referring to? I've done the defrag, and updated the audio drivers, but I didn't see much else that was relevant. Let me know if I missed something!

Re: MSE and Avast - could that really be causing my wifi issues? Happy to give it a try.

I just want to make sure that you saw in my original problem that this issue is only happening on my home wifi - I am able to access other wifi connections fully. It is only at home that I get 1/10 or 1/15th of the connection that is available, that other computers are able to get. That's why I suspected that it was a problem with the way I have it set up, that it might be limiting to certain computers only. Not sure if you had ruled that out!

Will swap anti virus programs now!

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Alright so I'm over on avast, and done the speed test and nothing has changed

http://www.speedtest.../2210965223.png

I'd rather not have to uninstall Firefox if we can avoid it. I've spent some time setting up a sync with a previous account, as well as setting up a second profile. This was all done when the wifi was already not working correctly. If you think it will really help I could do it but I'd like to avoid it, I'm especially not sure of how that would help us solve things.

Hope this isn't too much of a burden and then we can figure it out :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Not updates, issues highlighted by Pitstop as they can affect the performance of the machine, see below
Please return to the PCPitstop results and address the items that have a red X against them, if you hover the cursor over the item you will be given a description of the issue and if you click on it you will be instructed how to correct the problem.

Troubleshooting is the process of elimination so if you see an issue resolve it and it more often than not can then be ruled out as the cause, things to note are the fact that you have no problems using the notebook elsewhere which suggests that the wireless adaptor is ok and two other computers have no download issues suggest that there is nothing wrong with the router meaning that the issue is between the S5-391 and the router, with the wireless adapter possibly ruled out as it works elsewhere that may then point to software as the cause which includes AV programs and web browsers which can both slow download speeds dramatically.

From my reply #10

NB: Can I ask that you use the edit tab to add any additions if you have not yet received a reply to your last post, this will avoid us missing anything, thanks.

Leave Firefox for now and we will look at other possible causes.

maximem

maximem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
And this is why you are the expert here :) Really appreciate the explanation, especially your logic behind the map there!! (router + laptop link issue).

So going through the list from the Summary, Fixes
-Disk space: I freed some so that 25% is free
-Craplet scan: disabled a few useless programs from startup
-Cache: I've reduced it and cleared it on all browsers
-Temporary files: have been deleted
-Defrag: done, 0% disk fragmentation now
-CPU load test: the stats on here were bizarre, but hopefully the startup programs i disabled will help
-Disable firefox saved passwords: haha this one I will entirely resist. While I know it leads to security risks, this is probably the most useful part of my computer after browsing the internet. lol

Going to reset my computer to see if we have any improvements :)