Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard not recognizing new Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Recently I bought a DDR5 Radeon HD 6750 to give my custom PC some better graphics than the crappy GeForce 8300 onboard graphics. I bought a Cooler Master 500W power supply with 2 +12v rails first to power the card since it needed a 6-pin plug. So, first attempt on the card I mount it in the mobo's one and only PCI-E x16 slot, plug in the 6-pin and make sure everything is plugged in correctly, and connect it to the monitor via DVI (The card is Dual-DVI). So I turn on the PC, the card clearly has power as the GPU fan spun, and no signal. Then I switch to my onboard and I get display. However, once I got past the ASUS screen and the Windows 7 "Starting Up" screen came on, the GPU fan (On the Radeon) stopped spinning. I took a closer look at it and saw that it was twitching back and forth just about every second; like a clock. I thought maybe I needed to install the drivers. So I stick in the CD that came with the card, and it couldn't detect the card at all. Tried to manually install the graphics with the ATI autodriver finder, and it couldn't find it either. So after talking to some friends, they suggested that I try a new power supply and try it in another computer. SO before I bought another power supply, I tested it in my brother's mobo since he has the same card. It worked fine. So I bought a new Power Supply.

Now my current power supply that I just got today is a 520W Dynex w/ +12v x2. Same PSU my brother uses in his PC. So I switch out the old PSU, put in the Dynex, connect everything and MAKE SURE that everything is plugged in correctly, including the card, and boot up the PC with DVI connected to the Radeon. No signal. Switch to the onboard, I get signal. HOWEVER, this time the GPU fan stayed spinning all the way through boot-up and while I was using the PC. Put in the CD, still no detection. ATI autodriver finder, still no detection. Then a few minutes later the GPU fan stopped spinning. I looked at it, and just like last time, it was twitching back and forth like clockwork. So I turn off the PC, check all the plugs, boot up again, same thing except GPU fan stayed spinning and didn't stop. Still no detection, though. So for giggles, I updated the BIOS. I noticed that when I turned off the PC and went into the BIOS and entered ASUS E-Z Flash, the GPU fan stopped spinning. Then after updating the BIOS, the PC restarts, GPU fan isn't spinning. Enter the BIOS, GPU fan starts spinning again.

The thing has a mind of its own. I have no idea whether the card is bad, or if it's the mobo's PCI-E x16 slot or what. Nobody I've talked to has a clue. So, I'm coming to GeeksToGo; the community that has never failed to solve my problems for me. :D Any ideas? I read something about jumpers on the MOBO?

PS: If it matter, my mobo is an ASUS M4N78 PRO DDR2. 4 GBs RAM (One stick 667mhz the other 1066mhz) and an Athlon II 2.1GHz Duo Core. Other power consumers include an IDE CD/DVD+/-RW and a 500GB SATA HDD.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.
This is the only specs I could find for your PSU, > https://docs.google....EN_Final_lr.pdf

The brand has a terrible reputation, very unreliable, I would change it for a better quality one.

Have you set the correct voltage input selector on the PSU.
You may have a bent connector in the slot, or dirt, do a visual inspection.
PSU may not be delivering enough amps on the 12v rail, Can you borrow your brothers GPU and try it in you computer.

Edit, correct link.

Edited by iammykyl, 16 September 2012 - 04:28 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
In addition to what has been suggested by iammykyl did you remove the previous video device drivers before fitting the new video card and then install the new video card drivers from the disk supplied with the new card, see attached guide; http://support.amd.c...ATIProduct.aspx

I would also recommend that you run Driver Sweeper to clean up any possible left over Nvidea video drivers (only) before fitting and installing the HD 6750 http://www.guru3d.co...er-sweeper.html

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
I got the PSU from Best Buy. It's brand new. This PSU does not have a voltage selector. Nor did my last one which was a Cooler Master. The very first power supply I bought for th PC was a Coolmax, but I switched it out, like I said, because it didn't have the minimum wattage for the graphics card and didn't have a six-pin connector. I have checked all the plugs, made sure there's no dirt, etc. Still no detection. I will run Driver Sweeper later today and post the results.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts

will run Driver Sweeper later today and post the results.

Does this mean that the previous drivers were not uninstalled first.

The AMD driver install guide is very good but also very long winded, the steps below are easier to follow.

1: Uninstall the GeForce 8300 drivers.
2: Shutdown normally and disconnect all sources of power to the computer and fit the new card.
3: Check all connections are secure, reassemble the computer, reboot and install the drivers from your disk.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

NB: Some people prefer to save the new cards drivers to the desktop and install them from there when they reboot for the first time after fitting the card.

Some PSU information for future reference can be found @ http://www.realhardt...vos/Page364.htm if you check the attached table you will see that the Coolermaster PSU that you previously had when tested fell well short of the claimed 500W

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi

Wesdog784

My apologize for giving the wrong link in Post #2, (now corrected.)

This is the only spec I could find for the Dynex 520w PSU.
> https://docs.google....al_lr.pdf&pli=1

Just checked the link from Best Buy to the Dynex site, the downloaded user guide still mentions changing the voltage vie a red switch, looks like not updated to match the product.

If the driver clean up and re installation does not work, I would still test the GPU slot with another card.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
After looking at your manual I have noticed that in your BIOS you have to manually choose your Primary Graphic Adapter (You have no AUTO). If you are saying that only when connected to your Internal Graphic Adapter do you see an image then your BIOS settings might be set to boot from your Internal Graphic only (other reason why Windows does not detect your new card), try entering your BIOS and changing your option to PCI-E and then connect your screen to your new Radeon HD 6750

To change your Primary Graphic Adapter go to:

Advanced / Southbridge Configuration

[attachment=60576:pcie.JPG]

Hope that helps

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Ran Driver Sweeper, cleaned the NVIDIA drivers and the AMD drivers, shut down, disconnected power, installed card, turned on PC, no signal. Switched to onboard, I get signal. When booted up, NVIDIA drivers were clearly uninstalled, so I tried to install the AMD drivers from the XFX disc. No luck. "Unable to detect an XFX Product at this time". I continue with the installation and try to click on the option "Install Drivers" and it says please install the latest drivers from xfxforce.com and will not let me continue. I have previously looked for the drivers on the XFX website, and they don't have them there, which is why I went to the ATI website and downloaded the drivers from there.

I just went into the BIOS and looked, and the Primary Graphics Adapter was already set to "PCIE VGA Card First".

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
To rule out your pci-e slot working or not have you tried another PCI-Express card in your slot to see if that one would work.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
If the GPU from your brothers computer works, Try your PSU in his as they are identical, as I said, yours may not be delivering enough amps on the 12v rails.

You have not mentioned if the GPU shows in device manager, if the drivers show, if the device is enabled.

Advertisements

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
My brother lives 300 miles away, so that may be a bit difficult. :) As for the drivers and device manager, the card does not show up in device manager at all. Even after drivers are installed. I know somebody with a computer I can test the card in to see if it works in it and to test the PSU. I'll post what happens later tonight.

Edit: My brother came to visit for awhile and that's when I tested the Card in his PC.

Edited by Wesdog784, 17 September 2012 - 11:02 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gocha, my mistake. Looks like I did not word my suggestion very well.

SO before I bought another power supply, I tested it in my brother's mobo since he has the same card. It worked fine. So I bought a new Power Supply.

That looks like your card is working.

You need to test your power supply in another computer and if OK,
Test the PCi-E slot in your computer with a different video card.

Edited by iammykyl, 17 September 2012 - 04:19 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I cannot reconcile it to the card not even being seen in device manager, but

and connect it to the monitor via DVI (The card is Dual-DVI).

HOW please are you connecting to the monitor adapter or is the monitor dvi

and ASUS M4N78 PRO DDR2. 4 GBs RAM (One stick 667mhz the other 1066mhz) probably not the cause, but not the ideal ram setup

I would download the lastest available chipset drivers for the motherboard - that MAY be the cause of the problem, if my colleagues have mentioned it I apologise to them.
http://uk.asus.com/M...8_PRO/#download

The reason I say that is that the chipset driver is partially responsible for handling communciation between the PCI sockets and the rest of the hardware - in simple terms
Posted Image

and did you flash to the latest BIOS June last year

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Monitor has a DVI slot in it. My main video output that I've been using is my integrated graphics, which has a DVI slot as well as a VGA slot.

Yes, I flashed to the latest BIOS.

Brought the PSU and Card to friend's house, plugged in my PSU and Card, connected the monitor to the card, booted up, and it worked just fine. Installed all the drivers and the card is fully functional... So, does this mean I need a new mobo?

Edit: I also notice that when I first turned on my friend's computer, the GPU fan wasn't spinning very very fast, whereas in my mobo it was. If that helps any.

Edited by Wesdog784, 17 September 2012 - 05:53 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
So have you tried the chipset driver
AND is that ram - the two sticks configured for dual channel

and when you say
"Do I need a new mobo"
- a little too early I think to even evaluate that aspect