Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Motherboard not recognizing new Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
The Chipset Driver is up to date. And I'm pretty sure the RAM sticks are configured for Dual Channel, but just in case, how do I configure them for it?

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Your PSU powers your friends computer. The PSU is good.
Your GPU works fine in your friends computer. The video card is good.

It does look as though there is a fault on the Motherboard. It appears that whatever the fault is, it has not damaged your video card, this is not to say that the next time a card is installed in the PCI-E slot, damage may occur. You should tell your friend, the risk is there and be willing to replace it, if damaged.

To test.

Put your PSU back in your computer. Update the chipset drivers as Macboatmaster suggested, just to rule out that possibility.

Use your friends video card in your computer. Result?

I also notice that when I first turned on my friend's computer, the GPU fan wasn't spinning very very fast, whereas in my mobo it was. If that helps any.

Possible your friends video driver had some control over the fan and in your computer without any control, the fan would run at full speed.

posted without seeing you latest.

Edited by iammykyl, 17 September 2012 - 06:33 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
From your board details

NVIDIA GeForce® 8300
Posted ImageNVIDIA® GeForce 8300 offers the latest support of Hybrid SLI Technology, DirectX® 10 graphics features, HD video playback with HDMI/DVI output. It also supports HyperTransport™ 3.0 interface, PCI Express™ 2.0 bus architecture, Serial ATA 3 Gb/s devices and is optimized with AMD's latest AM3/AM2+ and multi-core CPUs to provide excellent system performance

I maybe wrong, but I suggest you try it. - as indeed my colleague says.
Windows 7 and that board are known for not recognising cards in the PCI slots without the BIOS updates and you have done that, and the chipset driver updates.

Personally and do not be offended - I do not like your ram setup - However - I do not think it is the base problem but it is not good.

If the chipset driver offered is the one you have then I would go to Nvidia for it.
I would also update all other drivers on the board that can be updated.

Signed off 0147 in UK
goodnight and goodluck

advaneil

advaneil

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

Well i think in your PSU only specs is one problem and you should correct them.And also you set the correct voltage input selector on the PSU.PSU may not be delivering enough amps on the 12v rail, Can you borrow your brothers GPU and try it in you computer.

Thanks,

Edited by phillpower2, 18 September 2012 - 01:51 AM.
Link to retail outlet removed.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Unless there's somewhere else other than Asus's website where I can get a newer chipset, I have the newest chipset as of 8/14/09. Pretty sure I already had the same version. No difference. No luck.

Something I forgot to mention: At one point in time, I used an NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS DDR2 512MB (PCI version) and it worked fine, other than the fact that I could only see BIOS messages from the Integrated graphics. So, why wouldn't my mobo detect a PCI-E card as it did a standard PCI card?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Quick suggestion for you Wesdog784
Leave the new card in but connect the screen to your onboard video port and then run DriverMax and see if it offers any driver updates http://www.innovativ....com/drivermax/ this as suggested by good colleague Macboatmaster may also offer updated chipset drivers, you are only allowed to install two drivers a day for free so the most important should be done first.

If you run DriverMax please uncheck the "install AVG toolbar" box.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

So, why wouldn't my mobo detect a PCI-E card as it did a standard PCI card?

The slot for PCI is an independant bus connected to the Mobo via a bridge chip, as well as passing data from the slot, othe intagrated parts on the Mobo can use it as well, Very slow and old tech, but still on nearly all Motherboards. Yours looks to be OK.

The PSI-e X 16 Express slot is a point to point connection, does not share the lane, data Path, with other device.

Given that your video card and PSU worked in another computer as mentioned in post #14, and IF, (you are absolutely sure the card is seated and connected corectly) your video card is not seen in Device Manager, spins a little but does not work, I think the slot or it's internal connection is damaged is some way.

Apart from the Chipset driver update suggest by Macboatmaster and Phillpower2, I can't at this time think of another solution.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Okay, I'll try DriverMax when I get home today. And Rage: I like your username. :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The M4N78Pro has the Nvidia chipset, as you know.
However it is not really the Nvidia 8300 which is the name of the integrated graphics

That is slightly misleading, as the chipset has of course the integrated graphics.

The acutal Nvidia name was the nforce730A - see this link

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us

which is what, with respect I said on my last

If the chipset driver offered is the one you have then I would go to Nvidia for it.

For extra confirmation and I DO NOT suggest you download it from here see this
http://drivers.softp...-for-Win7.shtml

I cannot of course guarantee that this is the problem, but it is as I said commonly recognised that the motherbaord had diffculty recognising certain graphic cards without the BIOS update and the chipset driver.

NOW unfortunately I think I am going to possibly upset you.
Please do not be annoyed
I can only offer you my best advice

EVEN IF you get that XFX graphics card to work, you will be disappointed. I am not suggesting that your motherboard is past its day. However in all honesty, it will never handle that card well.
You will I am sure experience bottlenecking
http://www.overclock...a-graphics-card

in simple terms the speed of transfer across the bus from the CPU to the PCIe slot and hence the GPU - AMD (the XFX) is simply not sufficient and the card will be waiting for the next transfer of data

If you are interested see this
http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3767/en

Finally the only other possible that comes to my mind is, and I have not checked your motherboard manual - has the BIOS in addition to the option to set graphics onboard or card also an option for pirmary graphics slot - some have.

I hope I have not disheartened you too much and wish you the best of luck.

NOTE the suggestion by my colleague phillpower2 to use DriverMax was NOT in any manner - different in reality to what I am saying - indeed it is simply another way of addressing the issue

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Just to reiterate what Macboatmaster has said, the objective is the same and I suggested DriverMax merely so that you may receive a collective result of possible driver updates.

Advertisements

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Looks like I've got no such luck. Even if it had worked, after what I just learned I wouldn't dare put that card in this PC.

I'm not offended in the slightest. Thanks for the info, Macboatmaster. I had no idea that your CPU had to be in harmony with your GPU. Looks like I still have much to learn. I've been thinking about a new build for a long time now anyway - I got the mobo on an emergency basis as my old P4 mobo died. And now that I've bought the graphics card and know that I need a new processor, I'm definitely getting a new build with a new processor ASAP. Since this computer still works, I'll hold onto it for awhile until I can get a new build.

Thanks for all the help. I'll be sure to come back soon when I undoubtedly will have another computer issue since I have such bad luck with these things. Haha. :D

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
we are sorry it turned out to be a disappointing outcome to your problem.

I would see if you could return the Dynex PSU as `unsuitable` Money back or exchange for a quality 650w for use in your future computer..

Hope we can be of help with the planned build.

Good luck.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Have you tried the driver I sent you from Nvidia, even if the card, in the system, will not perform as it is meant to, it would be worthwhile seeing if it will then be recognised.

Wesdog784

Wesdog784

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
No, the nforce driver didn't work. Thanks for all the help, though guys. :)