Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to sign into Windows Live Messenger

• Please log in to reply

Foxman318

Foxman318

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
For some reason over the last couple of weeks, Messenger has been unable to connect on my PC.
I know it isn't the router because Messenger on the wife's Laptop connects fine.
I use McAfee Internet Security Suite and Messenger is in the list of accepted applications.
I disable the firewall just to make sure but still no successful login.

ID and password are correct.
It comes up with the splash screen and says it is starting up.
It says it is loading Social Feeds & loading Contacts.

It thinks about it for a while then says:
Signing you into Windows Live Messenger failed because the Service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again latter
Error code: 81000490.

There is nothing wrong with the service because the Laptop has no issues at all.

Ironically when you follow the "more information link" to the Microsoft.Com page, it says:
We could not find any search results for "Messenger 81000490"

When I log into my Hotmail account, I can see my friends online in the Hotmail client and I can talk to them.
If I use Trillian, I can talk to them.

IE9 has been made inactive and I use Firefox and Windows 7 - updated with Live Essentials.

There doesn't appear to be a logical reason for messenger not to work.

ideas/direction would be appreciated

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I'd also still reset the router by turning it off for a bit, then back on, even though it does not effect your wife's connection.

See if you may have missed anything at the link below.

http://windows.micro...ign-in-cant-faq

Reference link only,

http://jihaut.blogsp...-messenger.html

Joe

Foxman318

Foxman318

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Still no joy, checked as per the above post but nada.

Its weird that I can communicate via my Hotmail Account and Trillian Client but messenger refuses to sign in/open yet they both Hotmail and Trillian must be using some elements of the messenger software.
When I have a conversation in Hotmail and open Trillian at the same time, I am told I have two versions of Messenger open and Messenger is showing as running in the Task Manager.

Chris.