Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 7 BSOD NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Reznov

Reznov

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello!

I've been having problems with my computer for a couple of months now. We've tried many kinds of tests on it, 3DMark Vantage, memtest, chkdsk /r, chkdsk /f, FurMark, antivirus, etc. They detect no problems at all but I keep getting bsod randomly. I've changed video cards, ram, I've cleaned it and other things and nothing seems to work.

Even if I reinstall the OS, I keep getting them. I did one a couple of weeks ago and right now all I have installed is Guild Wars 2 and video drivers and still get them whenever I watch videos, play music or play games. Although it's very rare, sometimes it happens while browsing the web or checking the control panel. Soemtimes after getting the bsod, my computer won't start.

Someone suggested it could be either RAM or the HDD. I already changed the RAM sticks.

Other errors:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Windpws 7 x64
AMD Athlon II x4 645 3.1 Ghz
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 4650 (Tried both)
MOBO BIOSTAR TA890FXE
4 GB RAM

Attached Files

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Check the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic tools.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.
Bootable Hard Drive Diagnostics

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the response.

I just performed the tests.

My hard drive is a Hitachi HDS721.

During the tests, this is something that came up:

Hitachi host adapter at port address 340 failed diagnostics.
ASPI2DOS.SYS Installation failed.
Unable to find any AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX.
ASPI8DOS.SYS Installation failed.
Unable to find any AIC-7890/91.
ASPI8U2.SYS Installation failed.
Cannot find valid SCSI adapter for ASPI Driver.
No C-390W/U PCI SCSI controller can be found.

Then when the list of drivers comes up and asks me if it's ok, it says: <empty>

I can't perform the suggested tests because all of them are greyed out, only choices I have is rescan which ends up in <empty> again and exit.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
That sounds like a motherboard problem with the hard drive controller. Read here: few snags after format, especially the 2nd page.

I would suggest posting in the Hardware, Components and Peripherals forum, see if anyone there has any ideas. Provide a link there to this thread.

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you for responding, I'll open a thread in that forum.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problem you describe indicates a hardware failure. It can be the RAM (which you already replaced with no results), CPU and a variety of components which are grouped in the motherboard. An important and relatively easy to test, is a marginally defective power supply unit. A problem there can affect everything because it's where everything start.

Unfortunately the only way there is to conclusively determine what part is faulty is to replace it with another one. If possible, please do the following:

1: Test the HD as suggested by Ztrucker with another diagnostic tool (of another manufacturer). Quite often another tool will perform the test (in other cases it won't.) Personally I doubt that a HD that passed chkdsk /r is a faulty one, but I may be wrong.

2: replace the PSU. Take an old unit or remove temporarily the PSU from another computer and test the affected computer.

3: If the first two tests show that the HD and PSU are OK, then the problem is either with the CPU or motherboard. In most cases it will be the motherboard which need to be replaced.

PS: If you use a bootable CD of the HD test program you can also move the HD to a working computer and test it there. If it pass a full test (not the quick one)then the problem is definitely not with the HD.

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for responding.

I'm doing another long test of the HDD as suggested by another member. If the HDD seems to be fine, then I'll take the computer to check the PSU and the MOBO. When the problems started again, the first thing that happened was that my computer crashed and won't start again, screen would remain black and wouldn't let me to access anything, not even BIOS. I had a similar problem with my old computer and it was the PSU so I told the guys at the shop to check it first. They said it was fine, but since I'm still dealing with these issues, I'll have them check it again.

The PSU of my old computer doesn't work properly anymore as a few weeks ago a lightning struck, burning the MOBO and causing several problems to the PSU.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have closed this topic, as you are now receiving help on the other topic here - on the same problem
http://www.geekstogo...rdware-problem/

It is too confusing to have two topics running on the same issue.

Please continue on the topic where my colleague rshaffer61 is assisting.

May I stress that the situation of the two topics running is not in any manner your fault.

Thank you