Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ethernet Connection Problems

• Please log in to reply

StarsnCyanide

StarsnCyanide

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I will try to make this as short as possible.

My parents sent their computer out to a friend to be "cleaned" He stated that he would be resetting the computer back to factory. When they got the computer back it still had programs on it however all of their files were gone. (Which was what they wanted anyway but basically they had wanted it to be "like new" ) So, I came over to help them set up their internet. Their internet provider had given them a D-Link USB adapter so they could set up the internet wirelessly as their desktop computer is on a different floor than the router. When I plug it in I do not get a pop up stating that it had been detected. I thought it was the computer so I tried it on their laptop. It also didn't work. So, We went to Office Max and bought a Net gear Powerline adapter which would allow them to use the wall outlets to plug the desktop in with an Ethernet cable. The light where the cable plugs in goes on but it still says "A Network cable has come unplugged." I thought then I would try directly plugging the desktop into the Ethernet cable from the router so I brought the desktop downstairs and plugged it in. Still nothing. So, I'm out of ideas and done searching the internet for useless answers. Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
EDIT:
Some helpful things I think you should know.

Computer has Windows XP
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC
The man who fixed it states that the internet worked at his house

-Kerri

Edited by StarsnCyanide, 18 September 2012 - 06:50 PM.

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Hello StarsnCyanide,

Since the computer was reformatted (back to factory settings), you man not have necessary drivers installed.

Can you please do the ff:
1. Click Start. Right click on My Computer. Select Properties
2. Go to Device Manager

Post here the devices with ? icons.