Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random BSOD - Hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

Reznov

Reznov

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hello!

I opened a thread on the Windows 7 forum and the person who helped me suggested that I opened one here. This is my other thread.

http://www.geekstogo...99#entry2207199

The computer has been getting random blue screens of death for about 8 months. So far we've replaced the video card, the processor and the ram sticks and the problem persists. I've reinstalled the OS multiple times and still get the bsod even though this time I haven't installed anything other that what I need to continue the tests, which is a video game and the video drivers.

While using the Hitachi HDD Diagnostic tools, these erros showed up:

Hitachi host adapter at port address 340 failed diagnostics.
ASPI2DOS.SYS Installation failed.
Unable to find any AIC-78XX/AIC-75XX.
ASPI8DOS.SYS Installation failed.
Unable to find any AIC-7890/91.
ASPI8U2.SYS Installation failed.
Cannot find valid SCSI adapter for ASPI Driver.
No C-390W/U PCI SCSI controller can be found.

Once it finished, it showed me an empty list of drivers and asked me if the list was ok. I'm no expert, but I don't think an empty list was supposed to show up, according to the guide that I was using, after accepting that the list was ok I was supposed to perform other tests, however, since the list was empty I wasn't able to do anything beyond that point.

I'm not sure what is failing, if the MOBO or the HDD or something else.

Errors in BSOD:

KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Windpws 7 x64
AMD Athlon II x4 645 3.1 Ghz
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti / ATI Radeon HD 4650 (Tried both)
MOBO BIOSTAR TA890FXE
4 GB RAM

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I see you tried the Hitachi HD test but I would like you to get the SeaTools DOS CD ISO and try the test again.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

You also mentioned this has been happening for months so my next questions is.... is this a new build and how long after the getting the system up and running did the issues start happening?

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank you for responding.

I'm currently performing a long test which may take a couple of hours. I'll post the results once it finishes.

I bought the computer on December of 2010. I started having problems with it on January of this year. I took it several times to the shop where I bought it. They replaced the processor the first time, but when I got it back I was still having the same problem so I took it back and showed them the problem. It seemed that the video card was overheating so it was replaced and the computer worked again for about a month or two then the crashes reappeared. Once again, I took it to the shop and they replaced the ram sticks, but nothing changed. The three things that they haven't replaced are the HDD, MOBO and Power Supply.

This time, the crashing happens on random times which is why I can't show them again what is happening, because it can take from 10 minutes to a day. Memtest and other programs to stress the processors and gpu detect no problems. I replaced the video card with an older video card and I still get the errors, however, with this one the computer just restarts, I don't get any bsod although bluescreenviewer confirms the computer restarted because of a stop error.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You also have a further reply on the other topic

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the notification Macboatmaster. :D

Ok, while doing the long test, the system froze around 64%. Green letters appeared on top of it, quite small to be able to read them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would like a voltage check if you can then.

Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for the quick response.

Here are the readings.
Posted Image

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not showing what I need to see so try this one.

Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature.

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Here's the HWMonitor readings.

Posted Image

Something I'd like to add.

Sometimes, my screen goes black, as if the monitor had been unplugged. I need to disconnect and reconnect it to make it work again. I was just watching a video when this happened and when I reconnected it, the browser wasn't responding and the video was frozen.

From the other topic on this problem

Thanks for responding.

I'm doing another long test of the HDD as suggested by another member. If the HDD seems to be fine, then I'll take the computer to check the PSU and the MOBO. When the problems started again, the first thing that happened was that my computer crashed and won't start again, screen would remain black and wouldn't let me to access anything, not even BIOS. I had a similar problem with my old computer and it was the PSU so I told the guys at the shop to check it first. They said it was fine, but since I'm still dealing with these issues, I'll have them check it again.

The PSU of my old computer doesn't work properly anymore as a few weeks ago a lightning struck, burning the MOBO and causing several problems to the PSU.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Looks like the +3.3 volt rail is faulty.
Below shows the devices that the rails power.

Voltage Rail Usage in a PC
Rail Devices Powered
+3.3 V
Chipsets, some DIMMs, PCI/AGP/PCIe cards, miscellaneous chips

+5 V Disk drive logic, low-voltage motors, SIMMs, PCI/AGP/ISA cards, voltage

+12 V Motors, high-output voltage regulators, AGP/PCIe cards

SIMM = Single Inline Memory Module
DIMM = Dual Inline Memory Module
PCI = Peripheral Component Interconnect
PCIe = PCI Express
AGP = Accellerated Graphics Port
ISA = Industry Standard Architecture

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Reznov
I have closed the topic that was orignally opened on this problem
This one

I have copied and pasted your reply there to your post 9 on here.

I have done that so that you only have the one topic running, on the problem and you do not have the difficulty of tryng to reply to both.

May I stress that the two topics running on the same issue, is not a situation of your making and I apologise for the incovenience.

I am sure my colleague rshaffer61, will confirm to you that it is best to continue on ONLY this one.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep because of the possibility of conflicting suggestions being made and we may not be aware of what is being done in the other topic. :thumbsup:

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
A faulty PSU can cause any and all of the problems affecting your computer. Even more, it can cause you to suspect other components which are perfectly good. If you cannot get a temporary replacement then I suggest that you buy and install a new PSU. They are not very expensive (where I live you can buy a decent one for about 20$). The test you made under rashaffer61 instructions show, as he said, that the 3.3V rail supplies only about 60% of the optimal voltage. This is not acceptable. My opinion is that you must replace the PSU at this stage, run the computer and see what happens.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
May I offer a suggestion.

In respect of the reply on the other topic, that I have added to post 9 on here, AND the failure of both tests on the HDD, would it be worthwhile, tesing the HDD out of the computer, connected to an enclosure and using Seatools for windows which will test external drives.

Reznov - The reason I suggest it is, that you could be buying a PSU to find you also have a faulty HDD and indeed MAYBE a motherboard fault. I will stand corrected, but I think HW Monitor only measures the voltages, at various places on the board, NOT directly from the PSU - as a professional PSU test equipment would do so, by creating a load similar to that seen when the PSU is connected to the system.

In simple terms, you cannot test a modern PSU with a multimeter - in case you read somewhere that you can do so - as the PSU must see a load, in otherwords a power demand, before readfings that mean anything can be obtained.

I do not intend to suggest that HW monitor is not a good indication, I just have a worry that you perhaps need to assure yourself, that the HDD is not indeed faulty, perhaps as well as the PSU

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Per OP in original posts:

I bought the computer on December of 2010. I started having problems with it on January of this year. I took it several times to the shop where I bought it. They replaced the processor the first time, but when I got it back I was still having the same problem so I took it back and showed them the problem. It seemed that the video card was overheating so it was replaced and the computer worked again for about a month or two then the crashes reappeared. Once again, I took it to the shop and they replaced the ram sticks, but nothing changed. The three things that they haven't replaced are the HDD, MOBO and Power Supply.

We tried a hard drive diagnostic which according to the OP post 5:

Ok, while doing the long test, the system froze around 64%. Green letters appeared on top of it, quite small to be able to read them.