Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Random BSOD - Hardware problem

• Please log in to reply

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Quote: "The one I bought for it is an NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti, much more powerful. I assume that stronger video card require more power, so, if the PSU is defective, is that the reason the computer crashes faster when I'm using my NVIDIA card?"

That is a very real possibility. If a PSU is marginally defective or if it is underrated, a heavier load will surely increase the chance for computer crashes. That reminds me: please make sure that your PSU is rated at no less then 500 Watt.

Advertisements

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
@Macboatmaster

I've installed the 2012 drivers that you suggested. The computer crashed a few minutes later, as it usually does. I haven't done any overclocking on my machine as I'm afraid to cause permanent damage to my system and void the warranty. I did the DxDiag test and found no problems.

@rshaffer61

Yes, I always take my machine when I go there so they can test everything they need.

@The Skeptic

My PSU is 600 Watts.

--

On another note, my system crashed crashed as couple of times while installing the Windows updates. One of those times, the system didn't want to start again, I had to turn it off and wait a few minutes.

EDIT:

I'm attaching my last minidump. Unlike previous ones, this one shows no files at all. on my bluescreenviewer.

Attached Files

Edited by Reznov, 21 September 2012 - 09:29 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
On the Nvidia GTX 550ti
Minimum 400W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 24A) with one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector for each graphics card.

Confirm please that you have the separate 6 pin power connector installed to the card

Open the case and look at the PSU I cannot remember now if you have sent the spec is it rated at least 24A on 12 volt rail it will be on a plate/label on the PSU

and as my colleague asked what is the voltage reading shown in BIOS

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The video card did have a 6 pin power connector. Now, I've left the computer at the shop as they were busy with other equipment and I couldn't stay for long. I'll pick it up early tomorrow for test with another PSU.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and I hope they find the issue this time. :thumbsup:

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok, I got my computer back with a different PSU. The system crashed 2 minutes after running a game. This time, however, a minidump file wasn't created.

After the crash, I had to turn the computer on and off several times as it didn't want to start; The screen remained black.

Edited by Reznov, 22 September 2012 - 11:35 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well either the repair person - Tech - is completely incompetant OR it is the game you are running and its settings in relation to YOUR computer

Have you shown them the computer with that GAME running or should I say NOT running.

There is ONLY one other possibility - well two actually

It is something you have connected that they did not, so try it with NOTHING except keyboard mouse and monitor

OR it is your AC supply - are you connected via an anti surge bar I have known them supply UNDER voltage, so if the anti surge bar to the computer is not supplying within a few percent of the input voltage that the PSU is expected to see, that MAY be the problem

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The computer crashes with every game, sometimes with windows media player, youtube, itunes, etc. I'm going to run the computer with what you suggested: keyboard, mouse and monitor and try one of my other AC supplies and see what happens.

Edited by Reznov, 22 September 2012 - 11:55 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Motherboard :whistling:

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
All right. I tried a newer AC, connected keyboard, mouse and monitor and gave it another try. About 8 minutes in, the computer started to stutter, I thought that it was just fps issue with the game as it's known to happen, but then it crashed, bsod.

Caused By: rdpbus.sys

Attaching Minidump.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well whatever it is - it just is NOT acceptable is it ?

Ok, I got my computer back with a different PSU. The system crashed 2 minutes after running a game. This time, however, a minidump file wasn't created.

My advice and I am not sure what my colleague will opine, is that you cannot take a computer for repair - you say under warrantry and they return it to you in this state.#

I would say - take it back as soon as possible and show them - Keen as we are to help - the more you try, the more you
take out this and replace that, the greater the risk of them denying reponsibility

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I fully agree with macboatmaster. It is very possible that other components of the computer are damaged and the system must be checked methodically.

You should take the computer back to the shop and demonstrate the crashes in front of them. Now it's their job to solve the problem. Actually their attitude looks so strange to me that - and I hope I am wrong - it makes me question their competency and integrity. I wonder even if they installed a new PSU or just threw in a junk they had in the shop.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well now you have it from us both, as I said

Well either the repair person - Tech - is completely incompetant OR it is the game you are running and its settings in relation to YOUR computer

Have you shown them the computer with that GAME running or should I say NOT running.

and that I am sure as my colleague The Skeptic says is the whole crux of the issue

You should take the computer back to the shop and demonstrate the crashes in front of them.

and indeed it is not even restricted to when gaming

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I have to agree in that you need to demonstrate to the shop what is happening and have them look at the event log and or blue screen log to see if they can see what is causing the issue.
I still say not only check the PSU but the motherboard also. Have them check for blown or leaking caps on the motherboard.

Reznov

Reznov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks everyone for taking time to help me with this issue, it's really frustrating that I haven't been able to use this computer properly for 9 months now. The shop is closed tomorrow, so I'll take it on monday's morning to check the motherboard.

I think they've jumped to the wrong conclussion a couple of times before and replaced parts that weren't deffective, such as the ram sticks and the processor. When they replaced those, nothing was fixed.

I hope we can get this over with by monday.