Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nightmare Situation!

• Please log in to reply

i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have 2 hard drives, i have a 200Gb sata drive that i use as my main C drive, and i had an 80Gb IDE harddrive that i was using to backup images, videos and music

I formatted the 200Gb HDD and reinstalled windows, everything was working fine, i started copying files from the backup drive to the C drive, and then the backup drive dissapeared :tazz: ;)

A friend of mine gave me a program that can search the logical tables or something of the drive, it found all the files and it was coming up that they were all still fine (proper file size) , but when i was transfering some of it back over it was only a tiny portion of the size it used to be and the file was useless

Is there anything i can do to rescue the files that are apparently all there, ive not tried using another IDE cable, could this be the problem?

Alot of this music is irreplaceable as are alot of the images which i had taken over the past year and a bit on my digi cam :help:

Please help me guys!!! :help: :help: :help:

Advertisements

i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
*bump*

comeone, i need help with this :tazz:

Destructo Roboto

Destructo Roboto

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
:tazz: If you dont have a second computer in the house try borrowing a friends computer and put that in as the second drive in that, then you might be able to transfer through that one over a ethernet or internet... or usb into your computer... you might also be able to put the IDE in as the main hd and then get the basic drivers into it then use the sata as a secondary and transfer files that way into it. Of course my suggestions dont generally come out to well and proove highly risky... this on the other hand might proof to damage all your files but it may work or it may not. You choice :help:

;)

i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I do have another PC, but its a tiny PC, and it doesnt have any spare IDE's, and i cant remove any of them because tiny were [bleep]s ang GLUED! the IDE cables n such in!

Im gonna try getting another IDE cable and also try using the other IDE slot on my motherboard first

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
In the future, I HIGHLY recommend burning your backup data down to DVD or CD.

But for now your best bet is another PC to plug your IDE hdisk into.

i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Aye, well i assumed the hardrive had been fine for months so why wouldnt it last a day more, so i could copy everything back, and with uni and working alot i dont really have the time to burn however many DVD's i would have had to