Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help please

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
See you tomorrow.
Then we will be in a position to see exactly what you have installed and where, and indeed hopefully ascertain how you reached this situation.

Thanks for your obvious appreciation - makes the job worthwhile

Advertisements

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
ok...looks like i've done that correctly ( everything still seems to work as it should :lol: ) i moved by about 3 gb as suggested but if we need more thats fine cos i dont really need that much space on D/ as i will be getting an external storage wotsit in the near future for piccies and stuff...i'll leave it now till i speak to you this evening....TTFN :thumbsup:

Attached Thumbnails

• partition change.jpg

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You have done well

You must not let that drop below 7GB or so.

If you do find that you are approaching that then you have the tool to take more from D and increase C.

Now lets see if we can establish what has caused this, other than, if you know of course it to be your installation of data on C.

Please send me this

1, diownload the free edition
http://www.piriform....speccy/download

2. Run and send me the URL
http://www.piriform....cy/using-speccy
see publish to web

If you wish to send that URL by PM - personal message to me - that is OK, although no help can be given by PM it must be on the forum, you may send the details of speccy
by PM - click on my name at the side of any post and see - send me a message

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
http://speccy.pirifo...rRdrGJPB7yWOoNo

hope this is right :confused:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
i noticed the free space had dropped to 7gb, dunno why, so have increased it again

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Okay

I notice three issues on here

1, This is simply for information and of course your choice
You have just 1GB of ram in two 512MB sticks
The computer has two ram slots, easily accessible from the base I think, by reomoving a plate normally held with two small screws

You would notice a tremendous difference in performance by increasing that ram to 2GB - one GB in each slot, you would therefore have to replace both sticks
A cheaper option would be to replace ONE and therefore have 1.5GB
To ensure you have the correct ram go here, but it is DDR2 PC2-5300 (333 MHz)
http://www.crucial.c...drammemory.aspx

let them scan the system and they will confirm that you have, as I have said the two sticks of 512MB and two slots

I think the laptop can take 2GB, it maybe 4GB but the scan will tell you

If it can take 2GB then it is, as I said, a choice between replacing both, to 2GB or one to 1.5GB

I am sure you have the gist by now

You do not have to buy from Crucial, but be careful about buying unbranded cheap ram of the internet it is rarely a good idea.

Cost of the 2GB in tow sticks of 1GB each about £22.00

AS I said only for information , if you feel yourself, that it is worthwhile and you notice a lack of performance especially when downloading, watching video etc.

2. This is more important your antivirus according to the Speccy is AVG
Company Name: GrisoftDisplay Name: AVG 7.5.518Product Version: 7.5.518
That is an OLD version, no longer supported and will not ensure you are protected.
Either go to AVG and update it to the latest free edition
OR
if you wish my advice, I would say use one of these
http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

as the latest AVG is somewhat bloated and a rather heavy user of resources

I use Microsoft Security Essentials it is free, unobtrusive and regularly updated, but not as heavy user of resources as AVG
However the cchoice is yours but you certainly need to do something.

If you are going to change, uninstall the AVG - by going start, all programs and then on he AVG you should find when you hold on that entry the uninstall
If not programs and features and uninstall from there

Then install the one you choose

3. You have windows defender enabled

Windows Defender: Enabled
With the old AVG that is not a bad idea.
MSE will automatically disable Windows Defender.
If you choose another anti virus such as Avast, Avira or indeed you do choose to stay with the updated AVG - disable Windows Defender.
Open Defender and on the tools tab click TURN OFF

Finally see this
Physical Memory
Memory Usage: 74 %
Available Physical: 258 MB
Total Virtual: 2.23 GB
Available Virtual: 1.31 GB

That means that you have, even just running Speccy only 258MB of physical ram available and the system is having to use 1GB of Hard drive space as ram that is the virtual memory
It is not quite that simple but I am sure you have the idea of it.
You certainly would see a benefit.

HOWEVER if the laptop is only used for basic office docs, eg letters etc and simple browsing it may not be a matter you consider worthwhile from the cost aspect

There is nothing else I see on Speccy.

You may uninstall it if you wish - Control Panel - programs and features.

NOW please send me this, but her who must be obeyed is on her way home after two weeks away with her sister-in-law, so I will not be looking at it until tomorrow
I will post that in a minute or so when I have it copied and pasted - done so separate post below

Regards
Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Would you also send me this please.

PLEASE NOTE - may I ask that you do not make any changes, recommended.

It is of course your computer, but if you make changes after sending me the results, it makes my job harder.
2. Run this please and send me the results

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests - FIRST TOP LEFT BOX below main large rectangular one

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others).

Go to: http://www.pCPitstop.com

Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive

In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!" OR YOU CAN RUN THE TEST ANON. without signing up. - you will see that at the end of that screen. The results will still be saved long enough for me to look at them.

If you do wish to sign up - for some reason

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)

You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.

Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed. - Please do not follow any procedures, until I have seen it for the reason outlined above

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.

PLEASE DO NOT RUN ANY other tests on offer

IF YOU HAVE any questions as I see you are online - I have about 30 minutes until the BOSS arrives home - well I let her think she is :lol:

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
ok..going to try this now...i cant find avg to get rid of it, TBH it was crap anyway...i cant seem to find a way to switch defender off either, no switch off button in tools....
and as you havent seen your lady for 2 weeks im sure there are far more interesting things you would like to be doing :whistling: so go do them, this will keep...have fun and thanks again for the help

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Send the Pitstop and I can work on that - tomorrow

Do not turn defender off until you have another Anti Virus installed

http://windows.micro...ender-on-or-off

Is AVG in programs then on C Drive or is the icon on the taskbar
I could not find it in speccy actually except that it said the Anti virus was AVG Grisoft and the version - I know it is out of date as it has not been Grisoft for some three years or more

and what does Security centre say about the situation
http://windows.micro...Security-Center

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
right, done that and it says there are 21 fixes and 3 advisories but i have no clue how to send you the url, ive tried right clicking on stuff, but nowt happens...

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Are you sure you have run Overdirve and if you are

PLEASE NOTE - may I ask that you do not make any changes, recommended.

as those 21 fixes and 3 advisories do not sound like the overdrive results

You simply right clck on the url at the top of the webpage copy and then paste to the reply

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration.

However I do not think it is the overdrive

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests - FIRST TOP LEFT BOX below main large rectangular one

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Wondered if this helps

WELCOME to PC Pitstop OverDrive
and then at the end of that page

If you do not wish to create a free user account, you can still run Overdrive anon

If you did not see that you ran the wrong one

and that is after you have clciked on the top left sqaure below the large rectangular box when the link,that I sent you opens

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=25070117

sorry, did the wrong one :blush: ...its all a bit confusing with all the other ads and stuff..hope this is the right one

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
BINGO will look at it and post by 1600 tomorrow

do not know which you did run, but if it has installed - uninstall it

You have as I said done well, with that pruning of D and extending C, and we are nearly finished - depending on what is on Overdrive.
Goodnight

vistasucks

vistasucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
good night chap :thumbsup: