Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

where do i find product key?

• Please log in to reply

oclori5150

oclori5150

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i had to re do my os (xp home edition) so i used my cd i got with computer says for new pc's only and i have the os cd with sp2. my boyfriend added sp3 and i had a message that i had to register my windows within 30 days. i was using my laptop and forgot about it til i went to use it 6 weeks later.....i went on and tried to do it online but it says i have an unauthorized number.... i used a product key finder and it gave me the same number, i called microsoft and they just wanted to sell me stuff. is there a file somewhere that has my product key and does this have to with sp3? what can i do?

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
AS this script has now been CORRUPTED, it must be deleted ....................... fully. I am no longer responsible for this post -

In notepad select save as and type >>

Edited by noknojon, 25 September 2012 - 04:41 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The product key should be on the COA sticker attached to your laptop, usually on the bottom.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Lack of response quite often means a non-legal version of Windows was installed

The Code Script above would have revealed any Key for a legal version if it was installed, and the Key would match the COA sticker -

I have used this many times -

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
The code works on my copy of xp nice find noknojon 

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
You have not yet replied, but this could well be the reason

so i used my cd i got with computer says for new pc's only and i have the os cd with SP2, my boyfriend added sp3

if the SP3 was slipstreamed to a CD and the Operating system installed from that.

Install it again from the CD - the original then activate, then download SP3 and other updates

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
What happened I was sure that I posted in this thread? :confused:

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
:thumbsup:

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I tried to send you a PM on this but it said you were not receiving them or something like that.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Please delete this topic as the included code has been corrupted now - :ph34r: