Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help remove Alureon [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

braddx

braddx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Whether it is working any better, all I can tell is that the Windows Update icon in the tray has disappeared.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
How does the system performance feel ?

Lets try and fix the printer now

1. Close any open browsers.
2. Close/disable all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.
3. Open notepad and copy/paste the text in the quotebox below into it:

Fcopy::
c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\spoolsv.exe|c:\windows\System32\spoolsv.exe

Save this as CFScript.txt, in the same location as ComboFix.exe
Posted Image

Refering to the picture above, drag CFScript into ComboFix.exeWhen finished, it shall produce a log for you at C:\ComboFix.txt which I will require in your next reply.

Notes:
1. Do not mouse-click Combofix's window while it is running. That may cause it to stall.
2. Do not "re-run" Combofix. If you have a problem, reply back for further instructions.
3. If after the reboot you get errors about programmes being marked for deletion then reboot, that will cure it.

braddx

braddx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Everything went well until it began to run ComboFix (after dragging CFScript.txt into the cat icon). Then it said, (paraphrasing), "CFScript appears to be mispelt. Do you want to run CFScript?" I clicked on OK, then the screen went back to desktop. I waited ten minutes. Then came here.

PS - The Windows Update icon has returned in the task tray at bottom.

Edited by braddx, 22 September 2012 - 07:32 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK download this text file to the desktop and then drag and drop onto combofix

[attachment=60678:CFScript.txt]

braddx

braddx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Got the same message - "CFScript appears to be incorrectly spelt". Clicked Ok. Waited. Came back here.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK we will use OTL instead

Warning This fix is only relevant for this system and no other, using on another computer may cause problems

Be advised that when the fix commences it will shut down all running processes and you may lose the desktop and icons, they will return on reboot

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following
    Posted Image

:Files
    c:\windows\System32\spoolsv.exe|c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\spoolsv.exe /replace

:Commands
    [emptytemp]
    [CREATERESTOREPOINT]
    [Reboot]
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done

Then try the printer

braddx

braddx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Did as instructed. Printer not working.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets check the registry for that item

Run OTL and copy the following into the scan box and press run scan

BASESERVICES
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Spooler /s

Post the resultant log please

braddx

braddx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
OMIGOD - the printer is WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I re-installed the install disk, rebooted, followed some instructions, and, VOILA! it works.

For that alone, I can't thank you enough. It's been down since January of this year, and I've been managing in other ways. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Now back to Alureon. The only I know if it's still there or not is buy running the 4-hour MS Scanner. Plus the Windows Update repeating update icon is still in the tray.

braddx

braddx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I guess we both posted simultaneously.

As noted, whatever you did with the spooler - well, it worked. Printer is fine, now.

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK scrub the OTL scan then

Are all updates now installed.. If the same update is repeating could you give me the KB number for it

braddx

braddx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok, am currently at Windows Update site and installing the ones repeating. I will get back to you shortly.

braddx

braddx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I just installed the updates in question from the Windows Update site. It said they were successfully installed and I re-booted.

When the machine re-booted, the same three updates reappeared in the task tray.

They are:
KB2686828
KB2604092
KB2656369

Every so often a 4th is added:
KB2347290

Belarc Advisor shows the three above with a red open lock - "hotfix that fails verification".

It shows the 4th one as installed.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK they are all dotnet updates. Unfortunately this is a common problem

Download the net cleanup tool from here to your desktop
Extract the Cleanup_tool.exe to your desktop and run
Then download and run the latest dotnet from here

Once done try windows updates again...

Also how is the computer behaving now ?

braddx

braddx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Completed your instructions, then updated Windows Updates. This time it said needed six updates - none of which were the repeating ones - so I did that, rebooted, and now the update icon is gone from the tray. Then I went to Belarc and it said all updates were "up to date" - first time it said that!!

So it seems that you've fixed that problem. Along with the huge printer problem you fixed, I couldn't be happier with your efforts. Again, I thank you.

As to Alureon, I have no way of knowing about that unless I run the 4 hour Scanner again - which I will do tonight. My concern with that Trojan is that I've read it will read banking passwords, etc. So I naturally want to be absolutely sure it's gone.

Since you did such a good job on the other stuff, I'm pretty confident you fixed that, too. After I run the Microsoft Scanner again, I'll let you know what happens.