Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Hanging, Slow to boot etc

• Please log in to reply

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi All,

As the title says PC Hanging, Slow to boot etc,

I have ran ccleaner, malware bytes etc.

Still the same, this has been going on for a while now.

Use chrome as main browser

Any help would be great thanks in advance

OTL logfile created on: 21/09/2012 11:09:27 - Run 1
OTL by OldTimer - Version 3.2.65.0 Folder = C:\Users\jon\Downloads
Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Service Pack 2 (Version = 6.0.6002) - Type = NTWorkstation
Internet Explorer (Version = 9.0.8112.16421)
Locale: 00000809 | Country: United Kingdom | Language: ENG | Date Format: dd/MM/yyyy

1013.57 Mb Total Physical Memory | 177.00 Mb Available Physical Memory | 17.46% Memory free
2.26 Gb Paging File | 0.36 Gb Available in Paging File | 15.76% Paging File free
Paging file location(s): ?:\pagefile.sys [binary data]

%SystemDrive% = C: | %SystemRoot% = C:\Windows | %ProgramFiles% = C:\Program Files
Drive C: | 111.69 Gb Total Space | 15.90 Gb Free Space | 14.24% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive D: | 111.43 Gb Total Space | 111.15 Gb Free Space | 99.75% Space Free | Partition Type: NTFS
Drive H: | 1.90 Gb Total Space | 0.00 Gb Free Space | 0.00% Space Free | Partition Type: CDFS

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 September 2012 - 08:18 AM.
Removed Malware Log...not used in this forum

Advertisements

GryphonGuy

GryphonGuy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
For a computer that's slow to boot, the first stop is the msconfig utility. Just open your start menu, type "msconfig" and press enter. On the startup tab, there'll be a list of programs. If you know what a program is, and you're sure it doesn't have to be running the moment your computer starts, you can uncheck it. If you aren't sure, you can post the whole list or specific items here and we can guide you.

To help with hangs we'll need more information. Does it hang completely, to the point where you have to manually switch it off, or just for a few seconds or minutes? Any commonalities in what you're doing when it hangs? Can you do it deliberately?

Also, roughly what kind of computer do you have? Which operating system?

GryphonGuy

GryphonGuy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Sorry-- you updated while I was typing that. I'll reply again when I've read.

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

For a computer that's slow to boot, the first stop is the msconfig utility. Just open your start menu, type "msconfig" and press enter. On the startup tab, there'll be a list of programs. If you know what a program is, and you're sure it doesn't have to be running the moment your computer starts, you can uncheck it. If you aren't sure, you can post the whole list or specific items here and we can guide you.

To help with hangs we'll need more information. Does it hang completely, to the point where you have to manually switch it off, or just for a few seconds or minutes? Any commonalities in what you're doing when it hangs? Can you do it deliberately?

Also, roughly what kind of computer do you have? Which operating system?

Hi thanks for the reply, shall try msconfig shortly.

Yes shall hang for upto 5-10 minutes at time. Its a wide range of issues that makes it hang, mainly when browsing in any browser. Shockwave always stops as well or crashes.

Dont know full details of the desktop i have, Operating System is Vista

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Sorry-- you updated while I was typing that. I'll reply again when I've read.

Thanks again

GryphonGuy

GryphonGuy

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Okay. Vista, on an Acer. What, no Netscape? You've tried every browser out there for this, haven't you? Poor bloke. Alright-- good news: you have a remarkably clean system. I don't see any major bogus programs.

Do you by any chance like to have about 10+ web pages with videos and such open at a time? That's my first instinct. Cause and effect can look backwards when it comes to hangs. When a program like adobe flash player hangs, it will generally bring the whole system to a halt, until such time as Windows decides to abort it, at which point your computer starts working again, followed by the announcement that a program has crashed.

Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to bring up Task Manager, go to the Performance tab, and if you could please tell us the CPU usage and Physical Memory percentages (at the very very bottom of the window) with your system idle (after startup, with no programs running) and with your web browser of choice open, with it's usual number of tabs.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can I join in on this for a bit folks?

Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Click the Options at the top of the Window. In the new little window click the box that states Hide Microsoft Services
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save the file as AutoRuns.txt file instead of the default .arn to a known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.
8: DO NOT do anything till we have had a chance to study the log and reply with suggestions as to what to remove.

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
As requested

Attached Files

Edited by worldofshinty, 21 September 2012 - 11:31 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Autoruns are not bad at all so can you do the following.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

I did see both Avast and AVG installed and starting on boot. It is never a good ideal to have two real time AV's running as they can slow the system down and potentially create false positive reports.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Looking at your first post:

1: Your physical memory is very small(1GB)by modern standards, and only 177MB are free for use. This is very little. I strongly advise that you increase your RAM volume to 2GB at least. In addition, please follow Gryphonguy's instructions regarding MSCONFIG, CPU and RAM usage. The bottom line: You must increase the amount of free RAM either by enlarging the RAM or by cutting out processes which work unnecessarily in the background, or by both (which is the best).

2: Partition C of your hard disk is full almost to the brim. Partition D is empty. please move part of your data to D to free space on C. I would recommend that you move at least 30 GB from C to D, even more if possible. When this is done run disk defragmentation.

3: Because C is so full and your free RAM so limited, your page file is impossibly full. After moving files from C to D you should rectify the page file problem. I don't have a computer with Vista so I can't guide you in details but the idea is that you find where this setup is and when found, set page file volume to zero and confirm. This will clean your page file. Repeat the process and this time set minimum and maximum volume to 2-3 GB. Confirm.

Advertisements

worldofshinty

worldofshinty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Looking at your first post:

1: Your physical memory is very small(1GB)by modern standards, and only 177MB are free for use. This is very little. I strongly advise that you increase your RAM volume to 2GB at least. In addition, please follow Gryphonguy's instructions regarding MSCONFIG, CPU and RAM usage. The bottom line: You must increase the amount of free RAM either by enlarging the RAM or by cutting out processes which work unnecessarily in the background, or by both (which is the best).

2: Partition C of your hard disk is full almost to the brim. Partition D is empty. please move part of your data to D to free space on C. I would recommend that you move at least 30 GB from C to D, even more if possible. When this is done run disk defragmentation.

3: Because C is so full and your free RAM so limited, your page file is impossibly full. After moving files from C to D you should rectify the page file problem. I don't have a computer with Vista so I can't guide you in details but the idea is that you find where this setup is and when found, set page file volume to zero and confirm. This will clean your page file. Repeat the process and this time set minimum and maximum volume to 2-3 GB. Confirm.

Hi thanks for the reply, bit of a silly question how do i move from C to D and what would i move?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Usually you move things like movies, songs, pictures and documents. You cannot move programs. You do this by first marking the folders or libraries that you want to move. Now click EDIT at the top of the page and click MOVE TO FOLDER. A window will open in which you choose drive D. Allow the command.

If you are not sure about how to this start with a single folder. If moved correctly then continue with larger chunks.

Please remember to defrag after the material was moved.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
worldofshinty

You would indeed benefit greatly from increasing the ram as my colleague The Skeptic says

1GB is the absolute minimum for Vista Home Premium

Windows Vista system requirements
If you want to run Windows Vista on your PC, here's what it takes:

• 1 gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
  • 1 gigabyte (GB) of system memory (512 megabytes (MB) for Home Basic)
  • 40 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space (20 GB for Home Basic)
  • Support for DirectX 9 graphics with WDDM and 128 MB of graphics memory (32 MB for Home Basic)
  • DVD-ROM drive
  • Audio Output
  • Internet access (fees may apply)
You would also benefit, again as my colleague says by having more free space on C drive.

HOWEVER there are other issues here.
You have AVG and AVAST installed - you cannot run two antivirus programs at the same time.
Not only will they slow your system down to a crawl, they will also fight each other and you may well end up with less protection - not more

YOu also have installed IOBits Advanced system care - yet again I think another anti virus of sorts is included in that program

Please be advised that the whole package of IOBits is best left OFF your computer. The only thing advanced about it - in my opinion, and may I say that of many other people,
is the ability to adversely effect the performance of the computer.

This is not something peculiar to IOBits Advanced system care it is a common aspect of software that incorporates so called registry cleaners, performance boosters and the like.

You also have IOBits Game booster - despite what IOBits may say about the program, please be assured that you cannot boost a system, that is not suitable for gaming in the first place - with any so called make it go faster - turn it into the ideal gaming machine software

See below please
1. IObit" "c:\program files\iobit\game booster 3
2 IObit" "c:\program files\iobit\advanced systemcare 5
3. IObit" "c:\windows\system32\smartdefragboottime.exe" - that one will slow down the boot see below
4. "avast! Antivirus" "AVAST Software" "c:\program files\avast software\avast\avastui.exe"
5. AVG_UI" "AVG User Interface" "AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o." "c:\program files\avg\avg2013\avgui.exe

IOBit Smart Defrag
"Boot Time Defrag" TechnologySmart Defrag 2 is using a new "Boot Time Defrag" technology which allows you to defrag disk during the system boot process, while these files cannot be defragged or are not safe to move after the system is already boot-up.

Not only is it very likely the cause of the poor performance WITH the AVAST and AVG together and the whole of the IOBit but the constant or near constant running of any defrag program is completely unnecessary

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I must confess that I didn't notice the Autorun log that was placed in response to rshaffer61 request.

Macboatmaster, you brought up an important point and I fully agree to your recommendations re multiple AVs etc.

Regardless, my previous recommendations re RAM, clearing space on C and recreating page file space should be followed by worldofshinty.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Indeed and as I said

You would indeed benefit greatly from increasing the ram as my colleague The Skeptic says

You would also benefit, again as my colleague says by having more free space on C drive.