Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

manage running applications

• Please log in to reply

Zook

Zook

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hi there, I would like to know if there is an application for Windows 7 that clearly displays the currently running applications. A little context for this, I am playing on Skyrim on my notebook and what I have quickly noticed is that if I immediately boot up the game before anything else after turning it on, it runs without a hitch. But if I try to play it after surfing the web or listening to music or whatever, it will have a trouble when it goes to boot up, autosave, and in general runs little slower. Sooooo I assume it's because there are still some running applications in the background that using resources. I know the built in task manager lists processes and services but it's unclear which apps in there are necessary and which can be closed.

So with that said I would be interested in finding an application that monitors running services and applications and could potentially close them. Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There are such utllities but they are all third party programs and apart from closing all windows - eg anythat are open, minimized etc you simply right click on the icon on the toolbar and click close all windows, and the same if you have web pages open or mutlitple browser windows.

If it is necessary to start loomking at processes etc running in the background then either the computer is not really capable of running skyrim eg. ram graphics etc OR, possibly you have installed or someone has those widely advertised but generally useless - make it go faster, turn it into the ideal gaming machine

I suggest you start here
http://www.uesp.net/...chnical_Support

I appreciate it is headed crashes but the content is just as relevant

Zook

Zook

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
Thank you for the reply! Honestly I may have exaggerated the performance I was experiences. I'd say for about 80% of the time the game runs at 60 FPS. It is only at certain points where it stutters for a little bit. For clarification this the same ASUS UX32VD notebook I am talking about in my other thread there regarding the touchpad and keyboard. I did a lot research when looking around and from what I had seen it had no trouble playing big games like Skyrim and Battlefield 3. What I also liked was that you could install additional RAM and a faster hard drive but even with the original hardware (which I am using) it runs great. Anyways I'm rambling on now, thanks for your advice!