Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Does Mixing Brands of RAM hamper performance?

• Please log in to reply

jdm

jdm

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Hi Folks,

Hope you all are having a nice weeeknd.

First, the details/specs. of my PC, when originally purchased, Summer 2002:

Dell Dimension 8200 (Intel Pentium 4; CPU 3.00 GHz; 512MB Memory (PC800 ECC Rambus RDRAM); Nvidia GeForce FX 5200)

Just this past this Thursday the mailman delivered an additional 512MB of memory for my PC. I popped the lid, installed the RAM, and now have 1G of memory.

The problem is that my surfing with IE doesn't seem any faster. Even Firefox and Opera are operating at a very similar speed as when I had "only" 512MB of memory versus 1G.

I can confirm that the PC recognizes the additional RAM I installed as when I open the Control Panel and then click "System" I see that I now have 1G of memory. I thought increasing my RAM two-fold would mean my PC would run twice as fast. Erroneous, naive assumption on my part?

I'm prepared to purchase and install 2G of RAM if need be. I wanted to see a reasonable improvement in response/speed and was left disapppointed.

Another "key" question I have follows:

The memory I installed this past Thursday is Kingston RAM (also PC800 ECC Rambus RDRAM, of course).

Question: Does mixing brand names of memory stiffle performance? Perhaps this is the root of my problem.

I checked google on this matter and saw a variety of opinions; therefore, I thought I would enlist the opinions of my fellow "geeks" for their valuable input.

I purchased Kingston this time around since it seems to be of a higher caliber than Samsung (in addition, there is a lifetime warranty with Kingston should the RAM die).

Just frustrated since I spent $100 on 512MB of Kingston memory and my PC appears more sluggish than when I was running 512MB of Samsung RAM (prior to Kingston installation of addition 512MB memory).

Any input/comments/feedback most sincerely appreciated.

Many thanks!

JDM

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Installing more ram doesn't make things go faster, it just allows you to do more things !! If you get my drift..

Windows is more able to use ram memory rather than virtual memory now (paging file) making programs open and run faster, etc..

Nothing wrong with mixing the brands (Kingston is a good brand).. Mixing speeds would be more cause for worry!!

Murray

jdm

jdm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Murray,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply! I appreciate that very much!

Therefore, is the solution to my problem to upgrade my processor?

I worked at a Fortune 500 company with 1,200 employees and the internet surfing there was instantaneous -- fast as heck. We were all on a network.

Are there steps you can recommend so that I can achieve that same sort of surfing speed, as when on a network at a large company, but on a PC instead?

Again, thanks so much for your quick response! Very helpful!

Kind Regards,

JDM

Edited by jdm, 05 June 2005 - 09:20 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Your surfing speed will be limited by your connection.. Willing to bet the comapny you worked for was using a T4 connection rather than a good old dsl or cable connection (major speed difference)..

Also, upgrading your processor will help some but it would need to be a substantial upgrade for you to see a difference!!

Murray

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
somehow posted to the wrong thread :tazz:

Edited by phybyr0ptyk, 05 June 2005 - 09:31 AM.

jdm

jdm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

somehow posted to the wrong thread  :tazz:

View Post

Since my question concerned IE surfing speed, I figured this was the right thread to post to. Sorry.

jdm

jdm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Your surfing speed will be limited by your connection.. Willing to bet the comapny you worked for was using a T4 connection rather than a good old dsl or cable connection (major speed difference)..

Also, upgrading your processor will help some but it would need to be a substantial upgrade for you to see a difference!!

Murray

View Post

Murray, Thanks again for your highly valuable comments! I won't be upgrading my processor anytime soon, so I guess I'll have to get by with 1G of RAM for now! (sigh) LOL

phybyr0ptyk

phybyr0ptyk

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
No I meant I had replied to the wrong thread, I was attempting to reply to a different question. sorry about that